Clearaudio virtuoso retip redux

sabocat

Clearaudio virtuoso retip redux
« on: 3 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm »
Hello all,

I have a virtuoso with a bent cantilever that has been sitting around for ages and I'm trying to figure out what to with it. I have a thorens td125mk2 with a  denon 301mk2 plugged into an audible illusions modulus 3 via a lounge audio copla head amp. I'm thinking the copla is possibly a weak link  and a retipped virtuoso  would sound good through the Curl MM phono stage.  Would a ruby soundsmith retip be the way to go, or the  diy at95he route?  Or any other suggestion.           

jsm71

Re: Clearaudio virtuoso retip redux
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm »
I have a Clearaudio Virtuoso in my stable of carts, and when it came time for a retip I engaged Soundsmith for the Ruby Cantilever / Nude Contact Line Diamond option.  I was super impressed and felt their work made the cartridge better than new.  Highly recommended. 

sabocat

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2018, 09:27 am »
Thanks for the response. The only thing holding me back are a few  suggestions that the virtuoso sounds thin in the upper register.  How would you describe it?             

Mr Peabody

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:51 am »
I second the Soundsmith work.  I heard a friend's Maestro that was worked on by them, excellent.

I never heard anything to criticize on the Virtuoso top end.  Set up and associated equipment would play a part in the response as well.  Soundsmith will improve on sound too.

Bob Stark

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm »
I had a Virtuoso I used with a Maplenoll Ariadne air bearing TT/arm and it sounded very nice with no noticeable sound lacking at all.   I also had an Audible Illusions 2D at the time--and later on, a 3A w/John Curl MC phono in it.
I've had 2 cartridges with the Soundsmith rebuild:  Shelter 501 mk II w/a level 2 rebuild, and a Benz Micro Ruby 3 w/a level 3 rebuild that I'm still using.  Both were done expertly and sounded fantastic--I would say at least as good as the original or better.  Now using a heavily modified Lenco TT with a Trans-Fi Terminator linear tracking arm.

Bob

jsm71

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:08 pm »
The Virtuoso was the best of my carts at the time I had the Soundsmith work done.  Since it came back sounding better than new I had no complaints.  I wanted to dive into MC carts since then, and I now have a couple of those feeding into a SUT, still using a MM phono stage, but that has been upgraded as well.  I really like the sound of MC --> SUT --> MM phono stage.  It requires the extra phono cable as the only downside.

sabocat

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2018, 10:05 am »
Looks like the soundsmith option is a good one. Thanks for your observations.