Reticulated foam + Super V

Shakeydeal

Reticulated foam + Super V
« on: 12 Dec 2017, 01:59 pm »
HI All,

I would like to try the reticulated foam tweak for the Super V tweeter. Can someone walk me through what's involved in removing the tweeter (pics would be a plus). And where is the best place to purchase the appropriate (30 ppi) foam, and what should the thickness be?

Thx,

Shakey

Danny Richie

Re: Reticulated foam + Super V
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:47 pm »
The tweeter unscrews from the back of the woofer.

I tried some of the damping material inside the tweeter cavity on the V-2's and found I liked just a slight amount. A loose fill rather than foam might be more ideal. A thinned out cotton ball, fiberglass insulation, or poly fill might be a good place to start.

It will soften the top end, but be careful or you'll knock out the tweeter level relative to the woofer.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:53 pm »
It doesn't need much. Things can get a little "hot" on some recordings, but most of the time it's very good. I just thought experimenting wouldn't be a bad idea.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2017, 05:21 pm »
Give it a shot.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2017, 06:37 pm »
The tweeter unscrews from the back of the woofer.

I tried some of the damping material inside the tweeter cavity on the V-2's and found I liked just a slight amount. A loose fill rather than foam might be more ideal. A thinned out cotton ball, fiberglass insulation, or poly fill might be a good place to start.

It will soften the top end, but be careful or you'll knock out the tweeter level relative to the woofer.

I'm going to try this as well, I have had the same experience. most recordings are great but some are just a little too hot for my taste. Taming down the tweeter could be the perfect solution. I'm very sensitive to high frequencies and didn't know about this tweak. I've been wondering about changing the resister but have never pursued it.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2017, 01:26 am by gregfisk »

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:08 pm »
Diffusion on the front wall will soften them a little too. 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:08 am »
I know it is a bit more drastic than adding some foam, but getting the diaphragms cryo treated will smooth the tweeters out a little bit further compared to stock; not night and day drastic of a difference, but noticeable.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2017, 11:53 am »
Diffusion on the front wall will soften them a little too.

I am assuming you mean the wall behind them? I have mine ~7 ft. into the room. Do you still think this will be beneficial?

Thx

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:20 pm »
I am assuming you mean the wall behind them? I have mine ~7 ft. into the room. Do you still think this will be beneficial?

Thx

Yes, and yes.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2017, 07:03 pm »
My Super V's are about 6.5 feet from the front wall. In a few months when I will have more time I plan on building some diffusion panels. Maybe I'll wait until I get those up before changing anything on the speaker if you think that will make the difference.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2017, 08:39 pm »
Something I've been wondering about with this is if you change the speaker so those few recordings don't sound harsh, won't that cause the recordings that currently sound good to sound duller?

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2017, 12:10 am »
Something I've been wondering about with this is if you change the speaker so those few recordings don't sound harsh, won't that cause the recordings that currently sound good to sound duller?

My thoughts on this are that the music that sounds really good wouldn't be hurt if I dropped the top end down a little bit.

And, the music that runs a little hot would be tamed enough to take the edge off.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking Mike.:dunno:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2017, 05:53 pm »
This is what I see when I remove the tweeter. Can someone tell me where the poly fill needs to go? I don't see a wave guide like I thought I would find.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2017, 05:59 pm »
You just removed the diaphragm. Carefully put it back on.

Then, unscrew the entire tweeter assembly (magnet and all) from the woofer. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2017, 06:34 pm »
Danny,

Not sure what I'm missing. I don't see any other bolts/screws other than the 4 I already took out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2017, 06:38 pm »
Just remove the wiring from the tweeter terminal and rotate the whole thing counter clockwise.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2017, 08:19 pm »
Danny,

Not sure what I'm missing. I don't see any other bolts/screws other than the 4 I already took out.

Shakey,

Would you mind taking pictures of what you do so I can follow along? I won't be able to do this for a few more weeks but I would love to be able to come back to this as a guide.

Like I said I might try the room treatments first but if it's easy I may try this first.

Greg

Shakeydeal

« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2017, 09:13 pm »
Sorry, but I already took it apart and back together again before I saw your post. But it's just like Danny said, turn the whole magnet assembly counterclockwise and it just screws off. Then you can see the tunnel of the wave guide. Very easy.

Shakey

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:32 am »
Sorry, but I already took it apart and back together again before I saw your post. But it's just like Danny said, turn the whole magnet assembly counterclockwise and it just screws off. Then you can see the tunnel of the wave guide. Very easy.

Shakey

Well Shakey, What are the results?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec 2017, 11:53 am »
I tried the thinned out cotton balls, but not sure they were thin enough. Too much attenuation.  I liked it better w/o. I may try some poly fill material, since you have more control over density. I predict the sound will be better as is though. Room treatment may be the better option.

Shakey