Love my brake upgrade

drphoto

Love my brake upgrade
« on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:48 am »
I did a post sometime back about how much good performance tires improved pretty much everything on my VW sport wagon.  When Goodyear had the rear tires off, I snuck a peek and the rear brake pads looked pretty thin. I had wanted to upgrade brakes anyway, as the 'hats' (or hubs) on stock rotors were rusty and nasty looking. And was thinking about getting slotted. (drilled look cool, but really don't add anything and can crack more easily) Well once again sanity set in, and as this is not a high performance car, I went with plain smooth face. I did go for aftermarket Optimal brand, which have an e-coat anti corrosion coating. But I did opt for a street performance pad....EBC Red Stuff. Well it turns out that besides the rust, the rotors were fine and stock front pads had 60% life left, but I went ahead with new parts. Other than damage to my bank account, I'm glad I did. New rotors look great, but more importantly the upgrade pads have much better initial bite and it's much easier to modulate the braking. And they're not even bedded in yet. That takes about 500 miles, which is months for me.

While not a performance car, it handles well enough to be a lot of fun driven swiftly. And two keys to that are tire grip and braking. Seems counter intuitive, but to go fast on a curvy road, you need good brakes to set up for corner entry. Plus at some point I hope to try Autocross racing.

Next up will be suspension upgrade. Sport springs and Koni yellow dampers. That should be fun. May add some chassis bracing down the road. A friend of mine in CA has identical car added a cross brace to his and said it makes a huge difference in feel.

Anyway, more random thoughts on cars.....

Happy motoring.

mcgsxr

Re: Love my brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm »
Years ago I did a brake upgrade on my 1996 BMW 318Ti.  I went with Powerstop rotors (slotted) and EBC pads.  Nothing oversize, or a change to calipers (all things I had frequently done on motorcycles I built), but the improvement was as you state.  The Ti was an underpowered car, but handled very well.  I always said it was like a Miata with a hatchback and 4 seats.

I also LOVED that the EBC pads gave off about 20% of the dust of the stock pads.  I had been cleaning front rims weekly until I did the upgrade.

Have fun with it!

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2017, 09:58 pm »
I loved those old BMW's when they were small and lightweight. I think in the real world, a car that feels fast at 60 is way more fun than one that feels slow at 100.

I never noticed a brake dust issue w/ the stock Bosch pads, but these EBC's feel so much better. Glad I got.

Everything looks so nice and new, now I gotta paint the calipers. A gloss black should look good.

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2017, 11:40 pm »
If you upgrade your springs, you will want to stick with a fixed rate spring. Variable rate springs are never same twice and make learning the car's cornering characteristics impossible as depending upon the speed, entry angle and the radius of the corner the spring rate will be different and cornering behavior will be inconsistent from one corner to the next.
Scotty

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2017, 01:15 am »
Scotty, I'm right there with you. I've purchased factory linear rate springs. Basically same as in stock GTI VW. Stayed away from the aftermarket variable rate units. And absolutely did not want a cheap aftermarket coil- over that varies ride height by changing spring preload. I'm no engineer, but that just seems stupid. Coil- overs with adjustable length bodies are really expensive. I also did not want a really stiff spring. Some people seem to think stiff equals handling. Well....no you need compliance. The idea is to keep tires on the pavement.