Just bought a Synology NAS

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Just bought a Synology NAS
« on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:55 pm »
Got the music over and pointed towards Roon easy, but I've never used an NAS for storing movies.  What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

lokie

Re: Just bought a Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:22 pm »
I'll be following this as I have been thinking about this very thing.

I also use ROON for music and after a rocky start, I'm all good and enjoying it immensely.

I have JRiver on one of my PC's and was thinking about using that for movies, but up for anything that's easy to use.

Also curious if there any problems running ROON and another media player on the same computer also acting as the ROON Core and  accessing files on the NAS simultaneously.

Hoping you get some good responses.

cody69

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:39 pm »
Congratulation on your new Synology. I'm a Mac user and started out using standard Apple tools for movies residing on my Syno Nas.
I experienced considerable drop-out buffering issues with HD movies.
I then installed Plex and the movies play much more smoothly.

I'll be interested to hear other approaches folks are using.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2017, 09:47 pm »
Which model did you get?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:57 am »
I have my Synology (DS716+) probably over a year and really like it.  I use it on multiple systems for audio (JRiver for a few and a a Lumin U1 in the main system). 

jpm

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2017, 01:02 pm »
Another vote for Plex.  There's a client you can install to run Plex server on Synology and great options for remote viewing and library sharing are great. Many clients for end platforms (Roku, Apple TV, Xbox etc.). Free.

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2017, 03:06 pm »
There's a client you can install to run Plex server on Synology

What client? Can you elaborate? I understand you can remotley watch your library... I'm curious as to exactly what clients, and specifics on where you isntall it etc...?

Many clients for end platforms (Roku, Apple TV, Xbox etc.)

So... you can use these w Plex? How does that work?

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2017, 04:15 pm »
I installed plex on my mac mini and have an external hard drive with all my movies and music organized w/ iTunes.    They are both hard wired in with a gig switch and then install plex on my roku's at various tv's.  Plays all my movies from iTunes perfectly.   No issues.  The server version is on my mac and the client on roku.  I have some apple tv's too, they don't require it cause i just use the apple software.  I like iTunes just cause it is organized and lots of my no tech kids can use it without issue.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2017, 05:52 pm »
You can install Plex directly on the Synology.  Be aware however, that Plex doesn't work with all formats.  For example, if you rip DVD's to ISO, Plex won't be happy.  I think MKV is the most used format, there may be others.

lokie

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2017, 06:43 pm »
I think MKV is the most used format, there may be others.

As long as one uses MakeMKV software to rip DVD's, it should work fine... I assume.

It looks like you can rip Blu Rays as well w MakeMKV.

So... it's hardwred from the NAS  to what? How does it interface with your monitor? And how is the audio handled? Stereo? Multi Channel?

The audio somehow gets to your processor/preamp and the video goes to the monitor?

Please advise.

pstrisik

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm »
As long as one uses MakeMKV software to rip DVD's, it should work fine... I assume.

It looks like you can rip Blu Rays as well w MakeMKV.

So... it's hardwred from the NAS  to what? How does it interface with your monitor? And how is the audio handled? Stereo? Multi Channel?

The audio somehow gets to your processor/preamp and the video goes to the monitor?

Please advise.

If you are watching on the computer, then it make sense to install in on the computer, I would think.  If you are watching on a TV/Home Theatre type of display, then it makes more sense to install on the NAS.  The NAS is "hardwired" to your network via the router.  You need a "Control Point" to access Plex on your NAS.  It can be your computer, or a phone/tablet.  Often the "Renderer" (like a Roku or Shield) has a Control Point built in.  The control point just provides access to Plex for the GUI of your movie wall, synopses, etc., and from which you pick what you are going to watch.  I assume you just access Plex on the NAS over the network.  Maybe with a Plex app, or control point app like BubbleUPnP if they support Plex at all, maybe even just a webapp through a browser too, on computer/tablet. 

I'd be surprised if Plex didn't provide the sound as it is on in the movie file, i.e, multichannel, etc.  The sound is in the file that is read by the renderer and played through whatever your system is and according to what your system is capable of.

A lot of "assuming" since I don't use Plex myself.  I have a Dune and use YaDIS as my movie wall GUI.  I have everything ripped to ISO or I would try Plex.  Too much to convert everything at this point!

Others, please correct any inaccuracies.

......Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2017, 11:09 pm »
deleted, sorry

« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2017, 02:49 pm by pstrisik »

jpm

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2017, 03:32 am »

I'd be surprised if Plex didn't provide the sound as it is on in the movie file, i.e, multichannel, etc.  The sound is in the file that is read by the renderer and played through whatever your system is and according to what your system is capable of.
......Peter

I believe that's the case. There are so many different platform (endpoint) variations it's hard to keep track of which support what. To the best of my knowledge, Roku and Nvidia Shield are pretty good at supporting most formats, Apple is a little more restricted. The Plex app interface differs among all of the end points, so that's another factor to consider. They're all governed by the different interface rules, guidelines and restrictions of the platforms themselves. I prefer the Apple TV 4 Plex client and am fine with audio format support restrictions for most TV shows. When it comes to movies, I switch to Roku.

For anyone new to this area, there are two highly recommended ways to get started (not mutually exclusive):

- Read information on the Plex web site
- Jump right in and give it a try - it's free to try, so just go for it!

One of the great features pf Plex is the ability to share your library with friends, or just log in to it remotely. When traveling you can have your entire library available - a feature that Roon isn't able to offer at this time.

Broady

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm »
I am using my Synology NAS for music as well as for movies.

When it comes to movies I prefer the video station software which can be downloaded via Synology packet center. It acts as a server and there are DS Video clients for PC, mac, iOS devices, Android and Smart TVs like Samsung and/or LG.

You simply rename your movie files to the correct title plus the data of it‘s first appearance and store it on your Synology. Video Station automatically searches the net for artwork and description of the movie and lists them in a way th user can define.

It is a bit like Kodi but because it runs on Smart TVs natively it is way better integrated and can be used in any way all the other TV signals can be used. At least I hope that I did not misunderstand the original question.