Help! Sovereign Power Sig or Class D

dragon5589909

Help! Sovereign Power Sig or Class D
« on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:48 pm »
Hi all,

Am in a bit of a conundrum. Have a good price on a refurbished Sovereign Power Signature amplifier.

Price aside, I'm not entirely sure I should proceed with that or with a good class D amplifier. D-sonic's Pascal products seem to be one of the best value/quality ones in the $2-$5K bracket.

The logic for the Sovereign stems, in a most unscientific manner, from as exhaustive a comparison I could make over the last year online:

The Aaron No.3 Millenium amp apparently trumps a Wells Innamorata, and on capable Vapor Nimbus speakers. The Sovereign is the big brother of the Aaron, and the manufacture stated on email that the sound of the Power is in another class compared with the No. 3.

I am located in the UK and it has been utterly impossible trying to get these amps in the same room, short of purchasing them.

I am running Amarra 4 > Schiit Yggdrasil > Class D Audio SDS-470 amplifiers > Custom Vapor monitors. In all humility, and in honest puzzlement when contrasted with my query on the cheaper products above, I genuinely preferred this system over a full MBL TOTL system, Magico S5s, Giya G1s, etc. I've tried headphones as well, seeking a viable upgrade path - a Chord Dave, with a Wells Audio amplifier and Audeze LCD 4s last month were actually dull. The imaging, soundstage and density of my current set up, esp as near fields, is comparatively more attractive. A definitive jump would be the Radio D4.1 (quite the 'clamping' of a soundstage) and the YG Sonjas (mainly for scale, though the RAAL tweeters are v likely clearer). I admit hearing all these on separate occasions, often with friends to compare notes with, but it has only made me question the price-quality balance almost all of us struggle with in this hobby.

In short, I am stuck on the inevitable upgrade path without spending exponentially more money.

Genuinely grateful if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the above.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
Re: Help! Sovereign Power Sig or Class D
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:41 pm »
I had those Class D Audio amps. Upgraded to a DAC Cherry amp and it has more power, control, and refinement.

I then went to the NuPrime STA-9 amps in mono, just as powerful and slightly easier on tweeter fatigue for me. The NuPrime are quite affordable.

I am running a Wadie 321 directly to all these with Tektom Pendragon speakers in a large-ish room

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:59 pm »
I had those Class D Audio amps. Upgraded to a DAC Cherry amp and it has more power, control, and refinement.

The Maraschino mono blocks are yet another step up in the DAC line offering even more power, control and refinement. I just received mine but won't get a chance to listen to them until my DAC arrives - whenever that will be. Been waiting 2+ months already. :(

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:18 pm »
Yeah the smaller USA audio manufacturers are getting a little behind, good to see the audio money, and most any money for that matter, flying around with more ease again

dragon5589909

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:09 pm »
Many thanks all.

Have gone for the Sovereign. Had a detailed call with Thomas Hoehne, who was most gracious and helpful over the phone.

Of note, Mr Hoehne described the Power Signature as '2-3X' that of the Aaron Millenium 3 and in a 'completely different class'. We did acknowledge the supreme difficulty in conveying music and that quality over the phone, and I ventured if the former was 20, maybe 40% better than the latter.

For others who are looking for Sovereign or Aaron amplification, Mr Hoehne mentioned he'd steer customers to Aaron if they were looking for value. Sovereign if they were interested in the performance and music, rather than simply owning the bestest/most expensive-iest. Mr Hoehne cited the number of musicians investing in Sovereign gear.

There are apparently no planned upgrades for these two lines of amplifiers at least over the next two years.

I did venture comparisons between other amplifiers, but of course will leave that for others to ask the owners directly, out of common courtesy and respect.

Dennis from D-Sonic was also very responsive and superb over email.

It came down to availability - going for the refurbed Sovereign Power Signature first, and possibly the D-Sonics thereafter, just to compare.

I hope we can all expect a different ballpark of sound with the Sovereigns. Guess that anticipation is one of the highs in the hobby, which unfortunately, is another unmeasurable variable.

Happy hunting everyone.