Less Stressful Cities to Live

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Less Stressful Cities to Live
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm »
I've lived in both and would argue that Walla Walla is much more relaxing.

No argument here. Haven't been there in eons, but would suspect today it's much like Spokane was in the mid to late 70's when I lived there. Definitely a slower more rural pace of life.

Mike B.

« Reply #21 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:44 pm »
Might be true if you like living in a big city. My only extended experience is with Seattle. colossal traffic mess. Guess you would need to stay in one place to get the benefit :D

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:37 pm »

I love living in Seattle. I took the picture above from my house in West Seattle (Fauntleroy) looking across Puget Sound at the Olympic mountains. That's the Fauntleroy ferry in the foreground heading over to Vashon Island. Although just a 15 minute drive from downtown Seattle I feel I am way out in the wilderness - in fact the island in the foreground (Blake Island) is uninhabited.

Sure it rains a lot here (althogh it's only rained once here in the past 3 months and it was 87 degrees today) but the air is fresh, it's peaceful and the scenery is amazing.  My wife moved up here from Santa Barbara and actually prefers living here.
+1

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:53 pm »
A few years ago I hiked on the face of Rainier on a beautiful September day. I spent the entire day leisurely hiking the trail from the west-side visitor center, along the face, and back down again. The next day I hiked some trails lower down.  On Saturday I returned to the visitor center and hiked some trails that connected to the face but were not on it. I eventually hiked to the face and then the visitor center. When returned to the visitor center the parking lot was overflowing as far down the road as I could see and I could see a long way.  The overnight parking lot for backpackers was overflowing. Too much humanity for me.  :roll:

Reminded me of Tahoe and Yosemite nearer to me. Too damn many people.  What appears to be a great location for enjoying nature's wonders is really like an outdoor Disneyland.

To make the last day (Saturday) on Rainier even more memorable, a white-knuckled lady driving a minivan refused to use any pull out and had a trail of cars more than a mile long behind her all the way to the park exit.   

MttBsh

« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:13 pm »
A few years ago I hiked on the face of Rainier on a beautiful September day. I spent the entire day leisurely hiking the trail from the west-side visitor center, along the face, and back down again. The next day I hiked some trails lower down.  On Saturday I returned to the visitor center and hiked some trails that connected to the face but were not on it. I eventually hiked to the face and then the visitor center. When returned to the visitor center the parking lot was overflowing as far down the road as I could see and I could see a long way.  The overnight parking lot for backpackers was overflowing. Too much humanity for me.  :roll:

Reminded me of Tahoe and Yosemite nearer to me. Too damn many people.  What appears to be a great location for enjoying nature's wonders is really like an outdoor Disneyland.

To make the last day (Saturday) on Rainier even more memorable, a white-knuckled lady driving a minivan refused to use any pull out and had a trail of cars more than a mile long behind her all the way to the park exit.

Yep, I grew up here in Seattle and it's really only in the past 10 years or so that masses have moved in and made it much more difficult to find seclusion in the most beautiful areas surrounding the city. 50 years ago Seattle was a small town known only for Boeing and the Space Needle from the 1962 World's Fair. 

The good news for me is I retired 2 years ago and so I have nothing to do with traffic jams and can hike on Mount Rainier when everyone else is working  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:33 pm »
I really like all the trees and stuff in Seattle. But if you don't have the $ or are grandfathered in, or plain old lucky, and have to commute... Where's the emoji for blowing your brains out? Rush hour headed out of Seattle is painful, and for no good reason some idiot causes a crash on the express way damn near every time I've been there...

Driving in town is ok, it's that trying to get out...

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm »
Well Seattle will have some more new residents soon...

Not excited about the damp though. Lived in LA so the traffic will suck but not surprise me.

jonbee

« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:21 pm »
Well Seattle will have some more new residents soon...

Not excited about the damp though. Lived in LA so the traffic will suck but not surprise me.
Well, you won't be alone. Seattle Metro area are had ~2,000,000 people for decades until about 15 years ago. Now it is 3,800,000. It has increased by 1,000 PER WEEK on average since 2010!
When I moved here in 1971, the economy was the worst in the US, but I loved it then, and still do, although it is obviously not a secret anymore.
Traffic is pretty bad, but nowhere near as bad as LA or other CA cities or my hometown, Chicago.
I've always liked Ca., but the population density in the better spots is outside my comfort zone. It's not that bad here yet, but you need to choose your times for the National Parks, etc. to avoid the crowds.
I do worry that another million or more people in this area could change my view. I live downtown and can walk to many great things. The infrastructure improvements are running behind the rapid growth rate.
Vancouver BC is another great NW city with the same issues.
Rain? Not nearly as much as the reputation. 36 inches/yr is less than NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc., but the 4 months of solid clouds and cool weather in winter gets some people down.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2017, 04:17 pm »
How about Portland?  That's considered NW right?  I've heard good things.