paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: GRAINLESS SS Line stage with high gain
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2017, 02:51 pm »
Paul,

Sent you a pm.

Best,
Anand.

Why the privacy? I like information too!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2017, 03:09 pm »
My amplifier is not suited to TVC use?  I think you're missing the point: The point is that total system gain is inadequate.  This is a function of all components in the chain - source, line stage, amp, speakers. 

An amplifier with low input sensitivity is not necessarily required to work with a transformer-based passive line stage - the source and speakers are factors as well.  This TVC has 6 dB of gain, which is in the neighborhood of quite a few active line stages.

If I had wanted a tube preamp, I would not have posted a thread in the Solid State forum inquiring about solid state preamps.

I am not missing any point. TVCs require an amp with low input sensitivity period. There would be plenty of gain if amp is as described. I think I know a bit about TVCs as I manufactured them in Malaysia w for a awhile and have hands on experience with all out there.
   I tried offering you choices and sound advise, sorry. Good luck.

charles

PaulF70

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:33 am »
Check out Herron Audio. This might not fit your needs, as it's a tubed pre, but doesn't sound overtly tubelike. It's a very clean grainless and neutral sound signature. The tube circuit and power allows the tubes to last a very very long time and Keith can set the gain for you high...
I owned one before going back to an integrated for a while and its design features and ergonomics were first rate. It's worth calling Keith and chatting with him about its design.

I've had the Herron phono and it was good.

I might consider the right tubed unit.  I've largely "moved beyond" tubes (sorry) because I know there is transistor gear that can sound every bit as good with none of the ubiquitous valve weaknesses, but it seems high gain is more common with valves, and if impedance matching is dealt with properly (TX or cathode follower output, etc), they could work in my all solid-state system.

PaulF70

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:40 am »
    I am not missing any point. TVCs require an amp with low input sensitivity period. There would be plenty of gain if amp is as described. I think I know a bit about TVCs as I manufactured them in Malaysia w for a awhile and have hands on experience with all out there.
   I tried offering you choices and sound advise, sorry. Good luck.

What you missed is that it was already established, in the original post, that gain is not adequate - low input sensitivity is another way of saying the same thing, although, again, you didn't consider source output and speaker sensitivity, which are all part of the equation.

Perhaps an example will help.  My source is rated for 2V output, my line stage (TVC) has 6 dB gain, my amp (First Watt, single-stage) has 14 dB of gain, and my speakers are rated at 94 db/W.

For *some* material - not most - there is not enough gain.

But, rather than what you suggested - that this is a matter of "incompatibility" of the TVC and power amp - the issue could be rectified by a number of things:

- No low-output (DSD) material
- Higher-output source
- More sensitive speakers (my previous speaker were more like 102 dB/W - no issues)

Do you see that it the root issue issue cannot be reduced to what you suggested?

bummrush

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:52 am »
I use a Coda preamp  at unity gain,essentially at no gain if im correct. In one of my systems.  I bought a int. And have moved my Clements out of stereo room. Ive waited yrs to get the Clements into our big family room. Anyway hooked up tothis int amp with the Clements sensitivity is 90 db Atoll cd player 2.5 volt. So i ask is that enough to ressult in too much gain?..
 Sorry if i hijacked here.But even though i cant use much of volume control i still have super sound. And ultimately ill  probably move Coda and Counterpoint amp into big room. And move Qed into smaller stereo room.

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2017, 02:29 am »
 Paul, I am a little unclear about how the First Watt amp functions. Your current setup puts a maximum of 4 volts into the amp with the knob on the TVC fully advanced. What amount of voltage into the First Watt amp results in it putting out its maximum unclipped output power into 8ohms. For example my amp has a 1 volt input sensitivity for 108 watts/ch into 8ohms with zero headroom and 26dB of gain. If I put more than 1 volt into the amp will clip its ouput. I run a zero gain active buffer, a Superphon Revelation III. My speakers have an input sensitivity of 95dB, and a room size of around 3000cubic ft. I am attenuating the source voltage to less than 1 volt with the Superphon Rev III  99% of the time.
Scotty