High(er) quality Power Supply for Mini ITX cpu?

kenreau

High(er) quality Power Supply for Mini ITX cpu?
« on: 30 Aug 2017, 10:42 pm »
Looking for recommendations for a higher quality power supply to a Mini ITX pfSense Firewall / Router with Inel Atom processor I have.  All my network access flows through it and I would like to find a good, solid quality, quiet power supply.  I imagine that would be a linear power supply, but open to suggestions.  The stock ps it came with looks like a typical generic commodity laptop brick switching supply, it puts out 12VDC at 6.6Amps.

I'm no longer in the computer audiophile realm and my notion is I don't need an uber audiophile power supply like Uptone, Paul Pang or Paul Hynes supply.  Possibly could go for a Teradak or Teddy Pardo level if no solid quiet switching supplies are available.  I have a couple of the iFi power supplies and really like them, but they don't offer anything about about 2amps.

Thanks
Kenreau

lowtech

Re: High(er) quality Power Supply for Mini ITX cpu?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2017, 03:54 am »
With very little effort you can use an X-Box power supply, which is capable of delivering 12.1A @12v.  Been using one to power my Mini-ITX Core i7 workstation for many years.  You can find used working ones for cheap.

If you want additional uptime/failover functionality you can plug your appliance into one of these, which will power cycle the device if it cannot ping a specified IP address.

kenreau

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2017, 03:35 pm »
With very little effort you can use an X-Box power supply, which is capable of delivering 12.1A @12v.  Been using one to power my Mini-ITX Core i7 workstation for many years.  You can find used working ones for cheap.

If you want additional uptime/failover functionality you can plug your appliance into one of these, which will power cycle the device if it cannot ping a specified IP address.

Is there something special about the xbox power supplies?  I assumed they were a basic, noisey switching power supply.

Thanks
Kenreau

lowtech

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2017, 05:11 pm »
Which leads to the question:  Is there something wrong with your existing power supply or are you just being OCD?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:57 pm »
I'm no longer in the computer audiophile realm and my notion is I don't need an uber audiophile power supply
Then why are you looking for anything new?

There is zero effect on your audio components, so other than uptime there would be no change.