The safest way to start up an amp

luckyguy

The safest way to start up an amp
« on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:21 am »
A most basic question for the forum.  Seems a good friend had left me in custody of his beautiful Marantz 8B with all British tubes.  He will be gone for 2 years on a work assignment and  I have run this amp for a few hours ever 3-4 weeks per his instructions.  I need to know from the tube aficionados whether I can use a power strip with an off/on switch as I find inserting the plug in the wall a bit inconvenient.

Given the 8B outputs and caps are un-obtainum these days what would be your best advice?

Thanks in advance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: The safest way to start up an amp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:27 am »
Normal use once a month(1 to 4 hours) is suffice to keep getter and caps active. For use this rare amp no prob plug it on the wall, unless there is a rain, for avoid lightning not use it on rainy moments. After use unplug the amp from the wall.

luckyguy

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:35 am »
I've heard this advice before from other experienced audiophiles.  Would not a protected power strip like those used for computers be safer?  Thanks for the lightning tip--I will be sure all my stuff is unplugged when storms approach.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2017, 01:38 am »
Would not a protected power strip like those used for computers be safer?
Depend on the circuit on that strip, maybe safer.
But direct on the wall are best sound imo.

luckyguy

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2017, 03:00 am »
Agree.  Sound is very articulate and clear.  Instruments seem life like and well placed.  I use them on a pair of Quads and enjoy them very much.  Don't want to use up those tubes so I run them only once a month as instructed.  I've got my regular amps plugged in to the wall and it also sounds great.