Floyd vs. Conor

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Floyd vs. Conor
« on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:12 am »
Fight fans who do you give it too and why?

Zero

Re: Floyd vs. Conor
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:27 am »
I confess that I wouldn't mind seeing Conor wipe the smug look off of 'Money's face.  Will it happen?  I doubt it.  This is Mayweathers house.  Let's not forget that he's the best defense boxer of all time, and while his best athletic days may be behind him, this is still his arena.  The only way I can see Conor picking up the W is to go for and of course get the early KO.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:59 am »
Mayweather. The difference in experience and intelligence is too great. Unless Floyd got drastically worse physically, I don't see how Conor even comes close. Floyd is on another level intelligence wise.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2017, 12:44 pm »
Floyd is a classic finesse fighter- who's forty years old and hasn't fought in two years. His style is subject to "growing old climbing up the ring steps', to quote the old boxing adage. So MacGregor has a real shot. Since he isn't a boxer, he may not fall for the tricks Floyd uses to make guys headhunt (and miss). If Floyd can't slip the shots anymore, he's in real trouble, because he probably can't hurt MacGregor.

This fight goes down one of three ways IMHO: 1) Floyd schools Conor; 2) Conor KO's Floyd early; or 3) Conor either forgets (or ignores) the Queensbury rules and gets himself DQ'd.

Look for Floyd to ride out the early storm and embarrass a gassed-out Conor in the second half in another defensive snooze-a-thon, I guess would be my prediction. I'd kind of like to see Floyd lose, because he took this fight for ego and money only*. It would be kind of fun to see his hubris cost him his treasured undefeated record at the hands of a guy who's never boxed professionally.

*News reports say he owes 22 mil in back taxes.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:58 pm »
Prepare yourselves for a big disappointment. Neither will be embarrassed and both Mayweather and Conor will make sure of it. Both will be laughing all the way to the bank with Conor retiring from the UFC.
DB Cooper is correct in predicting a "defensive snooze-a-thon".
Mayweather wins in a split decision.

But than again I could be wrong about  everything :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2017, 07:21 am »
If it was MMA rules Floyd had best have his affairs in order before the fight! :lol:  He would be annihilated in short order.  But it ain't MMA rules- it's boxing rules.  PFB is one of the greatest pure boxers of the last three+ decades.  McGregor on the other hand has never fought a pro boxing match before, ever. For Conor it will be like glancing at a first year medical textbook and then having to do a brain transplant by himself.  Or on himself. :lol:  I don't see Mayweather losing unless he slips and gets hurt getting into the ring. :wink: 

Apropos of nothing I wonder who is paying good money for this fight?  It's hard [for me] to even find a boxing fan nowadays so popular is MMA.  How did they drum up enough rubes for a $100M purse? I can see the potential for this to be amusing for about three rounds but after that it will be another patented PFB slow waltz to the final bell.  Some think Floyd can't deal with a real slugger; those guys must have never seen him fight!  He took some big shots from Hattin, Zab Judah, Castillo, Pac Man, Cotta, and Mosley.  I doubt Conor will show him anything he hasn't seen a thousand time unless he hits him with a spinning round kick.

Delta77

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2017, 07:49 am »
It won't  take long (3rd round) .. Coner will most likely use his ability to stretch/ reach from way outside and get Floyd with a surprisingly hard " Strait Left " ..???.. :duel:

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2017, 01:22 pm »
If Conor is throwing punches from "way outside", then I agree with Max Kellerman's prediction that he "won't land a single punch in the fight."

The Canelo/GGG fight will probably be much better; what do people think about that?

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2017, 07:39 pm »
People are talking as though this will be an actual fight. It's a spectacle on the same level as wrestling -- talk plenty of trash, pretend like you're fighting, and go home a lot richer. It's undignified to the boxing world for someone on Mayweather's stature to participate in this foolishness. A real fight fan would never give this clownfest any attention.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2017, 09:04 pm »
People are talking as though this will be an actual fight. It's a spectacle on the same level as wrestling -- talk plenty of trash, pretend like you're fighting, and go home a lot richer. It's undignified to the boxing world for someone on Mayweather's stature to participate in this foolishness. A real fight fan would never give this clownfest any attention.

This is a actual fight with Boxing regulations and rules.....Although it is a exhibition fight it is not on the same level as wrestling....UNLESS you are implying this fight is fixed/rigged?....It could be, the world may never know.  :lol:

Mayweather is all about MONEY as that is his stature as I dont recall Floyd being very dignified in this so called world of boxing  :roll:...who ever turns down 100 million dollars is the FOOLISH ONE :lol:

A real fight fan would just see this as a entertaining exhibition match and NOT take it so SERIOUSLY.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm »
Promo fights have always been around.  I saw Ali "fight" 3 Dallas DJ's decades ago.  Obviously it was just for fun, until one  DJ (who had a little Golden Gloves experience) tagged Ali on the jaw with a right cross.  I'm sure the guy got braggin' rights for the rest of his life, but he paid for it over the next 30-40 seconds. 

Archguy

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm »

A real fight fan would just see this as a entertaining exhibition match and NOT take it so SERIOUSLY.

Have to agree.  The money is colossal and despite that (or more likely because of it) the entire event is publicity, not sport.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2017, 02:11 am »
The only upside for either fighter is the cash. If Conor loses, he's a (well paid) loudmouth who couldn't beat a 40yo man. If he wins, he beat a 40yo man, who hadn't fought in two years.

If Floyd wins, he beat a guy who never fought as a traditional boxer, so, so what. If he loses, his precious '0' is out the window.

GGG and Canelo gotta be pissed about this sucking the air out of the room.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2017, 02:15 am »

A friend at work is saying the exact same thing. As I've said earlier, if you're gonna buy a PPV this summer, GGG vs Canelo will be a much better place to put your money.

Emil

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2017, 11:50 am »

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm »
I have not watched a boxing match since Tyson.

I have avidly watched MMA since around 2002. 

This fight is a circus.  A show.  A money making adventure. 

Conor is excellent at MMA and will be as prepared as he can be.  Floyd is worn out but knows a TON about avoiding bombs. 

I would not pay $5 to see it, let alone the PPV rates. 

I assume Floyd "wins" a yawner.  The only hope is an early home run from Conor. 

I look forward to seeing Conor in the octagon again after he cashes a big check in August.  I believe his ego will drive him back into the ring, even if his bank account recommends against it. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2017, 01:09 pm »
That's what's driving Floyd back in, so Conor probably no different. They won't be making anything off me. I would actually like it if the event tanks.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2017, 12:09 am »
Almost posted some fake news about the fight

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2017, 05:42 pm »
NYTimes: Is McGregor Safe Fighting Mayweather? Ringside Physicians Say No

The president of the Association of Ringside Physicians said he was surprised the Nevada athletic commission sanctioned the bout.

“We were very surprised this bout was even sanctioned and was going to be permitted to carry on,” said Larry Lovelace, a doctor and the president of the organization, which is focused on preserving fighter safety. “The thing I really fear, truly fear, is that somebody’s going to get really hurt in this upcoming fight.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/sports/mcgregor-ufc-boxing.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Sent from my iPad

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2017, 01:22 am »
This may be why Floyd is promising to KO MacGregor. Conor says the 8oz gloves were a big mistake by Team Mayweather. It could turn out otherwise if Floyd is able to slip MacGregor's shots and land his own. Conor will be wearing heavier gloves than he's accustomed to; the opposite is true for Floyd.

GGG-Canelo will probably still be a better fight though.