Tower ii Refinish and Rewire

ST86

Tower ii Refinish and Rewire
« on: 11 Jul 2017, 06:08 pm »
Hi,

Recently I refinished and rewired my Tower ii.

Here is what was done:

1.   Internal woofer wiring changed from original Monster cable to 10ga Bluejeans speaker wire.
2.   Rear terminal cups replaced with 1/4 inch MDF attached internally with screws.  Crossover components hot glued to MDF.
3.   Bi-amp switch removed but I kept the bi-amp function by using two pairs of terminals connected with jumpers. Remove the jumpers for bi-amping. This led to some confused nights making sure the internal wiring was correct and getting everything to fit neatly.
4.   All L-pads cleaned with Deoxit.
5.   All drivers removed, front and back sanded with 220 grit paper and painted (two coats) with satin black paint, the "blackest" black I could get from the paint wizards at Home Depot.
6.   Original cabinet fiberglass replaced with new fiberglass.
7.   Replaced original base with one a bit taller so I can get my hands at the passive to tune it without taking anything apart.  Painted new base with same black paint as front and back.
8.   Original veneer finish and dirt was removed with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool pads then wiped clean with paper towels dampened with denatured alcohol.  NOTE:  If you use steel wool pads near the drivers be sure to cover the drivers with heavy paper.  I found out after removing the finish there were steel wool bits attached to most of the drivers due to the strong magnets.  The bits were removed with masking tape but it would have been better to cover the drivers to avoid this.
9.   Veneer refinished with one sealer coat of 50/50 gloss poly and mineral spirits, then two coats of gloss poly full strength, then two coats of semi-gloss poly full strength, sanded with 320 grit paper in between the last two coats.

Here they are before the work:

And here they are after the work was completed:

Regards,

Ed

mcgsxr

Re: Tower ii Refinish and Rewire
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2017, 06:46 pm »
Nice work!

I am in the middle of a speaker build at the moment.  The boxes are together, I am at the sanding stage before attempting some kind of painted finish.

You clearly put some time and effort in there - good stuff!

Stimpy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:23 pm »
Those look sweet...!  I'm refurbing a pair of my speakers (non-VMPS) too.  I hope they turn out looking as good as yours did?  Awesome job! 

I've recapped all the crossovers, using Mundorf EVO Oil and Supreme S/O capacitors.  All new Mills resistors too.  Resistors and capacitors matched.  I also added damping to all of the woofer and midrange baskets.  I'm refinishing the cabinets now, and hope to add some extra bracing too.  The refinishing part has really slowed me down, as it's not something I've done before.  I don't want to ruin anything.  I should be getting everything back together soon (back willing)!  A fun project.

ST86

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2017, 09:20 pm »
Thank you for the complients.  It was fun upgrading everything even though it kept the home theater quiet.
Stimpy, I've done a lot of refinishing. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Cheers,

Ed

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2017, 12:46 am by ST86 »