Need advice for ceiling mounting some X-LS Encores for Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

patricksalter

Hi All. 

So, Im adding 2 ceiling mounted X-LS Encore speakers to an existing 5.1 setup to create a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup.  As suggested by Dolby here.  https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.2-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

Obviously I don't want to put additional holes in the encores if I can help it, and I'm sure distance from the ceiling is going to play a role, but Im not sure how much.  But I don't even know how to mount them to the ceiling.  And thats the part I need most help with.  Since this is a ported speaker, I assume I need it at least some distance from the ceiling.  I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDC31-Ceiling-Speaker-Mount/dp/B01HZMCSXM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490855451&sr=8-4&keywords=speaker+ceiling+mount

I could just mount the bracket to the top of the speaker, and fill it later with something if/when the speakers get re-purposed for some other use.  How bad an idea is this?

Any advice I can get from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated. 

Danny Richie

Patrick, this will work if you have a very tall ceiling.

Skiman

I will be doing the same thing with 4 XLS speakers, but I had mine built without the ports. Are yours front or rear ported? If rear ported, you could plug the ports and then mount them closer to the ceiling. Dolby guidelines have them facing almost directly down, assuming a dispersion pattern covers the listening position. 

I like those mounts. Let us know how it goes.

patricksalter

Danny, my ceilings are 8 1/2' high.  Sounds like I need to keep looking?

Skiman

Danny, my ceilings are 8 1/2' high.  Sounds like I need to keep looking?

Mine is 8 1/2 ' also.

Danny Richie

Then mount a LGK 1.0 driver in the ceiling.

http://gr-research.com/lgk10.aspx

They probably won't see much power anyway. They are easy to mount as they are a light weight single driver.

Just keep the same box volume as the LGK 1.0 kit and port it using a small port and run it out the front.

patricksalter

I've already purchased and built the encore.  I'll have to find a way to make those work. 

Danny Richie

Put them in the rear.

patricksalter

I have a pair of the encores in the rear already. And those rears are the floor standing enclosures. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
You could use a 7.1 system with the Encore monitors as surrounds and the towers as surround back speakers. Then you could put the LGK's in the ceiling. Provided you either have a 9 channel (7.1.2) amp or pre-outs for the main channels to a separate power amp and the ability to reconfigure the main channels.

Otherwise, you can experiment with distance from the ceiling until you get the head clearance and sound dispersion you like. If that ends up with them close enough to the ceiling you get undesirable port noise, you can plug the ports like Skiman suggested.

Since you want the speakers firing straight down, an easy way to experiment with distance would be to use a mount made from black plumbing pipe. You could mount a flange to the back of the speaker and another one to the ceiling then use different length nipples for spacing.

patricksalter

No idea how I missed skillmans post. I think that's the route I'll go.  Mine are rear ported and in the worst case I can plug them. Not that I know how to do that.   Hahahah.   Thanks for all the great advice. 

OverTheAir

I am curious if either Skiman, patricksalter or anyone else actually went ahead with using the X-LS Encores as ceiling speakers for Atmos and if so what they thought about the result, both from a sound quality and mounting implementation? I don't currently have the X-LS's so if I went down this path it would probably be with a new sealed design. If folks didn't go this path what did they end up using?

I currently have X-Statics in front with X-Voce and X-Omni's in the rear for a 5.1 system and so considering the option for 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 for Atmos using drivers from the same family.

I see Danny's suggestion for LGK 1.0 but I am a bit concerned about the power handling in scenarios such as loud overhead explosions. The driver specs do state "If some of the lows are electronically or passively removed then they easily handle 30 to 50 watt power levels. If the low frequency ranges or more aggressively filtered then they will easily handle 100 watt peaks or greater if the signal is clean." but I suspect something like 80-100 Hz base redirection wouldn't be high enough to protect them.

Thanks

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Or you could just save them for another room that needs some 2-channel love.

Danny Richie

I've seen the LGK's handle quite a bit of power if you roll off the low end. I think if you filter from 80Hz and down off of them then you'll be fine.

You also have to consider the distance from the listener. Like many rear surround applications the speakers are not far from the listener and are turned down well below the levels of the main speakers to achieve balance.