New espresso machine

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: New espresso machine
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:50 am »
+1 on both the KitcheAid grinder in that link and the Aeropress. I keep an Aeropress at my girlfriend's apt and use the KitchenAid grinder at home.

Why did I choose that grinder? It is very capable at both espresso size grinds and the boulder-sized grind that is best for French press. Many grinders can do one but not the other. Also, big plus for the glass bean and grind holders. Plastic ones get quite nasty looking after some use.

Yep, same reason here - I use the Aeropress for myself and use a fine grind, and I have a couple of french presses put away that I pull out for guests.  Being able to have very fine all the way up to very coarse grinds with high degrees of consistency is very nice.  So is the glass bowl, cleans up very well.  Actually it never even gets yucky looking the way plastic ones do. 

Good grinders (and even espresso machines) aren't actually all that expensive, if it takes the place of going to a pricey coffee shop and paying $5 per cup of coffee.  If you go every other day to get $5 coffee, even a $1k machine/setup pays for itself in about a year.

Odal3

« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:38 am »
The Aeropress looks like a great option. Think I will need to try one out. Do you think it will work OK to use at work or is it too "messy"?

DavidS

« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:56 am »
I've been using a stove top espresso machine - a Bialetti - every second or third day as an alternative to my drip coffee machine which is the well regarded bonavita.  Like the coffee much more with the stovetop machine (not really a machine) - do lattes with heated milk.  I have read a lot and thought about a proper espresso machine for a long time but still waffling - think I would buy a Silvia and upgraded grinder if/when I get to this next level purchase.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:24 am »
The Aeropress looks like a great option. Think I will need to try one out. Do you think it will work OK to use at work or is it too "messy"?

Best thing about the aeropress is that it cleans up very easily.  The coffee compresses to a little puck and it pops right out into the trash, then a quick rinse and wipe with a soapy rag and let it air dry, you are ready for the next day....

Odal3

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:57 am »
Impulse purchase done!! Arrives on Sunday. I'm excited to try it out. Even got it with a tote so I can store it easily at work.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2017, 08:03 am »
I bought my Aeropress in 2011.  It has always been stored with the plunger removed from the reservoir so it wouldn't get prematurely compressed, but even so it started to leak for the first time around the seal just the other day so I will need to replace the seal.

I guess $5.00 isn't too bad for maintenance costs for 6 years of use!

Steve

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:17 pm »
Great information guys....more than I would have expected. Needless to say, I'm now rethinking the entire process to include grinders. Yes, on the Aeropress.....I've had one for years and it is the greatest bang for the buck in regard to producing a quality cup of coffee. Thx to all for the great insights.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:58 pm »
I've tried about everything inexpensive... French Press, Aeropress, Coffee Siphon, and have had an Alessi stainless stovetop espresso maker for years, I like it much better vs the others but the truth is nothing comes all that close to a decent espresso machine and I plan on getting one soon. I have a Capresso burr grinder I like a lot but I know it could be better too... the grinder is key. I've had it for 8 years or so, still running fine.

roscoe65

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:33 pm »
The grinder really is key.  I use a Baratza Encore - their entry level model.  It makes a huge difference.

For regular coffee, I use an Aero press at work.  At home I use a Hario Woodneck pourover.  This is similar to a Chemex but uses a reusable flannel filter instead of a paper filter.  It makes a significant difference.  Once the filter has been "broken in", I keep it in the freezer when not in use.

I also use a Bonavita electric kettle set at 205F. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:00 pm »
Grinder is key for sure, particularly for espresso grinds. Blade grinders are out. And be sure that any burr grinder you are interested in can grind fine enough for espresso.

As for espresso machines, I went with a Gaggia Coffee at first and then got a Classic. Chose Gaggia, because many of their machines share the same internals that matter up and down the range. Maybe not in their cheapest, but in a surprising number of their machines. The Coffee model didn't have a solenoid valve, but that mostly meant that you did't get easier to dispose of pucks of grinds when you were cleaning up.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:13 pm »
Also, you all owe it to yourself to order some beans from Espresso Vivace in Seattle. Best espresso I have ever had. They have a blend best suited to drinks with milk. Another best suited for espresso.

Treat yourselves. These beans are incredible.

http://espressovivace.com/index.php/home/

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:35 pm »
Also, you all owe it to yourself to order some beans from Espresso Vivace in Seattle. Best espresso I have ever had. They have a blend best suited to drinks with milk. Another best suited for espresso.

I live in Seattle and Rosco is correct, these are really good beans.

I've gone way overboard with my machine but my brother in law owns a commercial espresso installation and service company. I use a LaSanMarco 95E automatic single group with the matching MS90 grinder. I mostly only use it once in the morning so it is really is overkill but it does make a great cup of whatever you want. It's really nice when we have company or a large get together. The big difference I've learned about machines is the bigger the boiler the better, steam power is everything and a small boiler runs out of it fast. I'm surprised that hasn't been talked about more in this thread, I'd be interested in which home machines can really steam well. As mentioned several times the grinder is also key and how adjustable it is since that is important to a good press. My machine is plumbed in which I even did way back in the day when I had a smaller more home style machine, this is really nice since you don't have to fill them with water, it also makes clean up a lot easier. What some people have done is taken the type of machines talked about above and added a larger boiler which they mount under the counter. It's just a matter of extending the plumbing on the machine to under the sink and mounting the larger boiler below. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:52 pm »

Have you tried these beans with an Aeropress?

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:58 pm »
Have you tried these beans with an Aeropress?

I haven't yet, but I can bring some of my next order down to my GF's place and try 'em there.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:11 pm »
I haven't yet, but I can bring some of my next order down to my GF's place and try 'em there.

I think it was you that mentioned Redbird coffee in another thread a while back and I've been enjoying their beans for several months but looking try something new. I did try Redbirds espresso bean in my Aeropress but didn't like it as much as their other offerings.

kmmd

« Reply #35 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:35 pm »
I also like the Espresso Vivace beans.  I mail ordered their beans and visited their store on Broadway Ave East when we were in Seattle.  Great beans!  It's also steps away from one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle...Altura.  I also use beans from Intelligentsia and Philz.  My machine is a Jura Capresso S9 that I've had for a very long time.  Honestly I wish it would break down, so I could buy a new one.  It's almost like my Zojirushi rice cooker and just won't fail.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #36 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:38 pm »
I also like the Espresso Vivace beans.  I mail ordered their beans and visited their store on Broadway Ave East when we were in Seattle.  Great beans!  It's also steps away from one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle...Altura.  I also use beans from Intelligentsia and Philz.  My machine is a Jura Capresso S9 that I've had for a very long time.  Honestly I wish it would break down, so I could buy a new one.  It's almost like my Zojirushi rice cooker and just won't fail.

I know the owners of Altura, they and their Restaurant are accounts of mine. He is a very good chef and she is wonderful person.

kmmd

« Reply #37 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:45 pm »
I know the owners of Altura, they and their Restaurant are accounts of mine. He is a very good chef and she is wonderful person.

Awesome!  It was nice to have him prepare the dish and actually come out to explain it. Their tasting menu is similar to our Bay Area Michelin 2 starred restaurant Acquerello.  But then , Chef Lockwood was the Chef de Cuisine at Acquerello.

Philistine

« Reply #38 on: 24 Feb 2017, 08:48 pm »
One of the annoyances with the Silvia is the plastic chrome colored shroud around the group head, apparently it's to protect against burning your hands.  Over time the chromed layer starts to peel off down to the bare white plastic.  They're not too expensive to replace, I became an expert at it but the first time was a bit of a learning curve.  I think I replaced mine every 3 years  or so.  From what I understand all generations of the Silvia have the same shroud?

guf

« Reply #39 on: 24 Feb 2017, 09:07 pm »
I also like the Espresso Vivace beans.  I mail ordered their beans and visited their store on Broadway Ave East when we were in Seattle.  Great beans!

Another fan here! I think these are the most user friendly beans I've ever used. I always can pull a great looking and tasting shot. I think they claim to be a northern Italian style roast which I think is a slightly darker roast compared to the trend of very lightly roasted beans on the west coast. I'm in SF and my goto is BlueBottle but when I travel or want something different, especially for the Aeropress, I love Linea beans. https://lineacaffe.com. The owner, Andrew Barnett is who stared Ritual coffee. A pioneer of the 3rd ave of coffee.