Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build

ebag4

Re: Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build
« Reply #220 on: 9 Jul 2017, 05:44 am »
Hey, not sure if you  guys flipped the wiring  in the netowrks  or not but,   the  tweeter should be wired   out of phase,   in the pics , it look s like you've got red to + ( if you flipped wiring inthe network, that's fine , but if not,    they need to be reversed).  Good catch Don :beer:

Also driving the pair here with a chip amp, one of the Folsom 7297/Antiopole  setups,  upgraded caps, wire,  and a Lundahl trans

jay
Thanks for the heads up Jay/Don, but yes, I changed color in the network wiring.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #221 on: 9 Jul 2017, 06:27 am »
Just wanted to be sure  !
Had I not been so lazy, I'd have gone back  and  actuallyre-visited the pics  :)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #222 on: 9 Jul 2017, 07:07 am »
I built my networks externally so I can switch the phase at the network. That said I forgot about that little fact when I set the speakers back up after the show. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they sounded so much better at the show.  :duh:

I'm going to reverse the wires at the driver because I know the next time I take them apart I'll forget to switch the phase when I reconnect the network.

At least now the image is properly centered and staying there and voices are back up to a normal height rather than too low.

Mike

lacro

« Reply #223 on: 9 Jul 2017, 01:03 pm »
Also driving the pair here with a chip amp, one of the Folsom 7297/Antiopole  setups,  upgraded caps, wire,  and a Lundahl trans

jay

Jay, Did you finally add the Lundahl transformer to your amp build?

Captainhemo

« Reply #224 on: 9 Jul 2017, 05:14 pm »
Jay, Did you finally add the Lundahl transformer to your amp build?

hey Larry,,   yeah I did,  I actually thought I had sent yo uan email about it but obiously not  :duh:
Still not in a proper case, just  a bigger test board.... got tired of seeing the  Antipole and Lundahl trans sitting on the shelf . It's a pretty amazing little amp,  not quite as dimensional as the  6C33C mono's but awfully close.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #225 on: 9 Jul 2017, 09:14 pm »
Hey, not sure if you  guys flipped the wiring  in the netowrks  or not but,   the  tweeter should be wired   out of phase,   in the pics , it look s like you've got red to + ( if you flipped wiring inthe network, that's fine , but if not,    they need to be reversed).  Good catch Don :beer:

jay

Jay,

What caps, wire and transformer did you use?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #226 on: 9 Jul 2017, 09:44 pm »
Mike,
I used 1 uF  sonicaps bypassed with .022 Jupiter Coppers as input caps.
All  the PS caps are  the optional Nichions speced in the BOM.
transformer is a Lundahl  ll1928, parallel the inputs and outputs, plus there   is a   pair of   10v outputs you can use for   something  else ?    Sent on to Larry too and he was able to use the  10v outputs  to power a DAC.
Wire  was  the 24 ga solid core Neotech  from Zenwave  for inputs, some mil spec  silver coated copper for  outputs,  and a mix of   Neotech 16 ga OCC copper and  danny's wire  for PS / Antipole.  Once I put it all in a case,  I'll likely replace it all with the Neotech in various  gauges

jay

ebag4

« Reply #227 on: 11 Jul 2017, 12:59 am »
Ed, I sincerely wish I would have had the pleasure of following this thread from day one. I'm sad I just now found it (through the "Let's see your OB thread").
Honestly, I just now skimmed the first page, then jumped to the last page to comment, I hope to find the time to catch up.

In the first post, you said the burl veneer was "this is a plane tree burl".
This looks a LOT like a Pelin Burl build I did. Is that what it is?

Anyway, I'd like to complement you on a beautiful build. Well done Sir!  :thumb:
Hey Bob, sorry I missed your question.  I read that the Plane Tree is related to the Sycamore, I am not familiar with the Pelin Burl.  I now know that if want a highly reflective finish I should start with something a little more smooth and defect free than a Burl, at least that is the conclusion I have drawn from this experience.

Best,
Ed

Plund

« Reply #228 on: 14 Jul 2017, 02:30 am »
Ed, Very sad to see that you have placed yourself in such a terrible predicament!  With this extremely nice looking build and sound quality to match, you may have a difficult time bettering these on your next build...so sorry!  Congratulations!

Pete

ebag4

« Reply #229 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:38 am »
Ed, Very sad to see that you have placed yourself in such a terrible predicament!  With this extremely nice looking build and sound quality to match, you may have a difficult time bettering these on your next build...so sorry!  Congratulations!

Pete
:lol: Thanks Pete, I'll try to muddle through. :wink:.

Best,
Ed

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #230 on: 14 Jul 2017, 05:41 am »

Pete

Very funny Pete, Ed is a master builder for sure.

Greg

lacro

« Reply #231 on: 14 Jul 2017, 02:37 pm »
Thanks guys.

I wanted to give a brief update on the sound.  I have them breaking in on the Folsom amp I built last year, great synergy here, really excellent pairing, makes me wonder if Danny voiced these speakers using his little chip amps.

Sometime after 50 hrs the speakers bloomed, they are sounding fantastic, similar to the Wedgie but more weight and more dynamic.  More later.

Best,
Ed

FYI: If anyone is interested in trying the Folsom chip amp, there is currently a group buy over at DIY Audio for the amp, and power supply PCB's. These easy to build, inexpensive little chip amps do very well driving GR Research speakers. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/309860-folsom-diy7297-amp-antipole-psu.html#post5128286

Here's Captainhemo's Folsom amp board with some upgrades:

limits

« Reply #232 on: 14 Jul 2017, 03:13 pm »
...A few questions for Jay and Larry, if I may  :D --where did you source the Jupiter caps? Have you heard the amp both with the Nichicon and the Panasonic oscons? Did you notice a difference between the two? I think Jeremy mentioned in his original documentation that the Panasonics were a little more laid back (which I would prefer). Just wondering if you heard both...

Larry--masterful job on building up that amp!! It would seem a shame to hide it away in a case  :thumb:

limits

lacro

« Reply #233 on: 15 Jul 2017, 01:19 pm »
Ed: Apologizes for hijacking your build thread.....

Limits: PM sent

gmurray618

« Reply #234 on: 16 Jul 2017, 11:47 pm »
Thanks for the tip lacro

I just ordered the boards. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #235 on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:37 pm »
Ed,
I haven't checked this for a while.  Outstanding work!  Can't wait to hear how they sound!

ebag4

« Reply #236 on: 26 Jul 2017, 05:15 pm »
Ed,
I haven't checked this for a while.  Outstanding work!  Can't wait to hear how they sound!
Thanks AC!  They are sounding very good, I am approaching 200 hrs so they should be broken in or very close.  I am playing with room position and REW, once I have that locked down I will report back on the sound.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #237 on: 29 Jul 2017, 04:26 pm »
I have been trying out amps for a system I am putting together for my son (4 guys in a house with 2 dogs don't need to deal with the Bottlehead I build for the V1s).  I decided to order a PS Audio Sprout.  I recieved it yesterday and plugged it into the NX Oticas.  The Oticas like the additional power (32watts @ 8ohms), this sounds fantastic !

I am very impressed with this compact unit from PSAudio.  It is the first PS Audio product I have heard, I really like it.  The unit has an amp, Bluetooth (outstanding sound and coverage, much better than I would have guessed, this will be the primary way it will be used streaming Tidal from his phone), USB/Coax Wolfson DAC, analog in and out via 3.5mm jacks (output is volume controlled, using for the servo amps) and a phono amp.  Super simple single box solution, perfect for his situation.  If the DAC would do DSD and had remote control I would buy one for myself, for my son's needs he doesn't require DSD and with Bluetooth you can control volume from your phone.

The Oticas now have over 200 hrs on them and are sounding great.  I am getting them tweaked out using REW.  Settings and locations are changing as compared to the V1s, I am attributing this to the servo drivers all facing forward as opposed to the V1s where the servo drivers were facing opposite each other.  The Oticas playing lower than the coax of the V1 may play a role in the differences as well.  I have a bit of a suck out at 70hz that I am working with currently, I seem to recall seeing this with the V1s, I managed to eliminate the suck out but in doing so I had a boost around 40 Hz which I considered the lesser of two evils.

I am going to be changing some things around in my room, replacing my parabolic diffuser with some PI Audio diffusers I have had a while and can finally spray (latex paint only) now that I have a spray setup.  I am going to get that completed as well as ceiling absorption (hopefully) before I spend too much more time with REW.

More later.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #238 on: 29 Jul 2017, 05:09 pm »
Ed,

Any impressions of NX-Otica vs Wedgie?

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #239 on: 29 Jul 2017, 05:21 pm »
Ed,

Any impressions of NX-Otica vs Wedgie?

Mike
Hi Mike,
I haven't listened to the Wedgies for a while, I was running in the V1s for a few weeks getting them ready for my son prior to finishing the Oticas.  I will be able to go from the wedgie to the Otica with a cable swap once I get everything where it belongs.  From memory the Wedgies image and soundstage better than the Oticas, the way I have the Oticas set up at the moment anyway.  They sound more similar than different based on audio memory.  It may be a bit before I can do any type of reasonable comparison due to college graduation and other family obligations.  I can offer this, the Wedgies are not embarrassed by the Oticas (of course you already know this  :thumb:) and I like the servos drivers facing forward better than opposite.

Best,
Ed