Follow-up Review: Omega Bipole RS5 speakers on my sub 2.5K speaker search.

Ultralight

This is a brief but long overdue review of a pair of Omega RS5 bipole speakers.

My first review on Audiocircle is of a single RS5 driver Super 3i Monitor which can be found here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138568.0

What I have now is a pair of large RS5 bipole monitor that has two independently sealed chambers and independent binding posts.   Therefore, this can be run in three formats:
1. Monopole (single driver)
2. Bipole
3. Dipole.

So it is very flexible. I run it as a bipole.

So how do they sound?  In short, all the strengths of the Super 3i Monitor are there but the are much better speakers in that:

1. They present a much larger and deeper soundstage along with very good focus due to the full range drivers, and still possess a wonderful wide dispersion due to the small driver.  For someone who really appreciates a large and deep soundstage, this is fantastic. In a small room, with the speakers moved out about 3 feet from the wall, they are amazing because I've had a dozen speakers in here and have trouble getting a large/deep soundstage other than a pair of Martin Logan which really were too large for my room.

2. There is significantly better bass extension - in part because I can set it on the ground tilted upwards. I took both subwoofers out so it is just the Bipole. 

3. It is a much more powerful speaker that feels more effortless. 

For me, there is simply no comparison.  A dual RS5 driver feels much more than twice the speaker of the single driver RS5.

I do feel a high degree of confidence in my evaluation because a fine gentlemen from Audiocircle purchased my Super 3i Monitor.  He loved it.  Then we got to discussing my bipole and based on my comments, he ordered a custom dual RS5.  He too raves about the dual RS5 speaker but since I have not asked for permission to name him, I'll let him comment here if he wishes. 

Louis of Omega also raves about his dual driver speakers.

Finally, if I had the budget, I would think this may be the ideal RS5 speaker:

1. Floor stander with three RS5 drivers.
2. 1.5 dual driver setup in the front face.  (one driver full range, one drive high passed from 500hz upwards)
3. 1 drive in the back for the bipole impact. 
4. Wired in parallel and driven by a SET amp capable of driving low impedances such as the Decware Zen.  This would be a very efficient speaker - probably gets close to 100db/watt. 

Anyone care to try?  Call Louis up!  :lol:
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2016, 05:55 am by Ultralight »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Thanks for posting your review.  I have questions:

Images?
Cost?
What's your room size and listening setup?
Ancillary gear?
Musical genre?  Listening habits?
Have you played with placement?  How close from the front wall can they be placed?

Ultralight

JLM,

Most of your queries can be answered by linking to my previous Omega review. Link listed in the first post.

Not sure how close to the wall - one can always just run it as a monopole and put it right up to the wall as mine has ports on the same side as the driver.   As to cost, I got mine on the secondary market but I suppose that a new one is going to be similar to any of his 1.5 RS5 set up.