Formula One - Max Verstappen

Philistine

Formula One - Max Verstappen
« on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:05 pm »
Now that the F1 season is over for another year it's time to reflect on the success of Max as a future world champion.  With this in mind someone's taken a sneak picture of the special cockpit layout that Red Bull put together for him:

Davey

Re: Formula One - Max Verstappen
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:12 pm »
Ha!  Funny.

I don't mind the brashness and immaturity of MV.  Already he's a classier driver than Lewis Hamilton....IMO.  What a pathetic display that was from Hamilton during the second half of the final GP.

Dave.

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:20 pm »
A big reward from Bernie to Mercedes and Nico, taking the German GP off the calendar next year....

To be world championship material you have to have a degree of determination and ruthlessness, it wasn't very sporting what Lewis did but how many of us would have reacted in the same way?  He clearly outclassed Nico throughout the season and only lost out due to reliability issues - he must have been gutted.  At least it was refreshing to see a new world champion, and no fatalities.  I'm looking forward to see Mac piss off Vettel next season, it's been the most entertaining part of the season  :thumb:

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:38 pm »
Well, LH had reliability issues, but numerous clutch/start issues as well.  It's not clear how much of those starting issues were Hamilton's fault. But regardless, those issues weren't Rosberg's fault so subjecting him to that type of driving tactic was pretty pathetic.  IMO.

The change in car for next year will no doubt shuffle the deck a bit, but I can't see the Merc's and the other big $$$ teams not being at the top.  I wouldn't argue with someone who predicts numerous wins for Verstappen next year.  No doubt, a very talented young driver.

I'm most impressed with the Force India team.  Much lower budget but still finished in 4th place.  Only four retirements from both cars the entire year.

Dave.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2016, 08:03 pm »
Funny pic! VES will be fun to watch in the coming years, errrr I think next year!

IMO, Lewis should have slowed even more, to defend his championship more aggressively. He should have forced Nico to fight for his championship with either Vettle or Lewis. I doubt Nico would have prevailed against either. And Lewis was right to shame Paddy Lowe after the race for suggesting Lewis should help Nico win. WTF? I laughed when the team admitted Nico's fear of Lewis by telling Nico just let Vettle pass rather than defend. Why not pass Lewis? Because he knows he would lose. Pathetic... our new world champion crybaby.  :roll:   I loved Lewis' radio response to Paddy, "I'm in the lead, I don't need to speed up."

Imo, Lewis lost the championship by arrogantly procrastinating learning to use the new clutch that came mid season. Even Lewis' equipment failures were not enough for Nico to overcome Lewis' speed without his help.

Good season overall. New cars next year!  :hyper:

Davey

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2016, 09:47 pm »
Most likely he could have slowed down further and still kept Rosberg behind him.  Why didn't he??  :)
Much more impressive would have been if he drove off into the distance and provided yet another data point that he's faster than Rosberg.

If I'm the boss of Mercedes, LH wouldn't be driving for me much longer.  Plenty of young talent they could put in that seat and still get the results without the huge paycheck and all the juvenile drama.  JMO.

Dave.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
Well, how about that.  :)  Rosberg retiring.

I imagine many of the F1 drivers are jumping out of their shoes angling for the Merc seat now.  However, many have already signed contracts for next years.  Very interesting.

Dave.