Exotica R Monitors (with RAAL)

jsalk

Exotica R Monitors (with RAAL)
« on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:51 pm »
Mark recently requested a pair of Exotica Monitors.  But in this case, his request was for a RAAL ribbon tweeter rather than the standard Seas Exotic T35 tweeter.  Since the RAAL tweeters were sensitive enough for this, we went ahead with the project.

Here are the results...

As you would expect, the top end is very open, extended and transparent.  A really nice combination.

Happy listening Mark!

- Jim

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Exotica R Monitors (with RAAL)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2016, 03:43 am »
Does the new RAAL flatten out the response above 10kHz as compared with the T35?

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2016, 01:52 pm »
Does the new RAAL flatten out the response above 10kHz as compared with the T35?

Yes, the T35 starts to roll off at around 17kHz.  The RAAL is flat to beyond audibility.

- Jim

dbx

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2016, 06:50 pm »
Hmmm...

I wonder if it is possible for us exotica owners to trade in our speakers for an exotica speaker with a ribbon tweeter.

gasron67

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2018, 10:29 pm »
This are my dream speakers, which I will be saving for and ordering in the (hopefully) very near future. How does it compare against the dome tweetered version? I will be partnering this to a tube amp, a Primaluna Dialogue HP. I also have a sub (REL Storm lll) to augment the speakers' bass section. I do hope Jim or Mark (the owner) would chime in and give their impressions.

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2018, 07:17 pm »
This are my dream speakers, which I will be saving for and ordering in the (hopefully) very near future. How does it compare against the dome tweetered version? I will be partnering this to a tube amp, a Primaluna Dialogue HP. I also have a sub (REL Storm lll) to augment the speakers' bass section. I do hope Jim or Mark (the owner) would chime in and give their impressions.

I recommend you call Jim and talk to him directly.

He will answer all your questions.

The man is a true gentleman.

Enjoy the journey.

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Song 3A walnut new Dec 2017

gasron67

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2018, 10:40 pm »
Thanks, Luis. I think I will do just that. But for the moment I will just wait a little longer. Maybe he will check this thread. This has been inactive for a while.

I hesitated to ask him directly because I know he's a very busy man and I won’t be ordering from him this year, that’s  for sure. I’ve got a ton of questions for him and I don’t want to cut our correspondence right away after I get all the answers. Anyway, I’ll shoot him an e-mail if I don’t get a reply about the RAAL and SEAS tweeters by the weekend.

Ronnie

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2018, 03:02 pm »

I'm probably the only person who can answer this question as no one else has had an opportunity to compare the designs side by side.

The standard Exotic T35 tweeter is a very nice tweeter but is slightly rolled off on the top end.  The response of the RAAL ribbon, on the other hand, extends far beyond audibility and is extremely transparent and detailed.  Fortunately, the RAAL ribbon is sensitive enough to be used with full sensitivity of the Exotic 8 woofer.

So if you prefer a more rolled off top end, the T35 is for you.  On the other hand, if you want all the detail possible in the high treble, go with the RAAL.

- Jim

gasron67

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2018, 10:58 pm »
Thank you for the reply, Jim. I kept on wondering which one I would prefer. I’ve always been intrigued with the RAALs, but there is always the nagging thought that maybe, just maybe, the SEAS would be better for me. That you have described their differences quite clearly made me shout, THIS IS REALLY IT!

I wanted them so bad, I made a mock up out of cartons, with the exact dimensions. I didn’t expected them to be this big. A lot bigger than it looks in the pictures. A lot bigger still compared to the Dynaudio C1 which I was   seriously considering, until I stumbled upon Salk speakers. The one thing that immediately grabbed my attention was the RAAL ribbon tweeter. After going through all the models for weeks, I decided on the Exotica Monitors. It was with great joy when I learned that it’s now offered with the RAALs. Awesome.

Now I realized there are two more questions that I have to answer: which veneer to choose and how to get the funds to get these babies into my wide open arms? :lol:

ErichGS

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2018, 02:29 am »
I recommend you call Jim and talk to him directly.

He will answer all your questions.

The man is a true gentleman.

Enjoy the journey.

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Song 3A walnut new Dec 2017

Agree with this.  I am purchasing from Jim for the second time now.  Both times I kept on waiting for him to get annoyed with the many questions I had.  Instead, he continued to understand my level of knowledge and answer the questions in a way that I could understand without out making me feel any less for having asked.  Among the many other things he is great at, he is an excellent educator.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2018, 08:37 am »

Now I realized there are two more questions that I have to answer: which veneer to choose and how to get the funds to get these babies into my wide open arms? :lol:

Start saving and you'd be surprised... Salks come on the market occasionally, so for much less, you can get one.