The Absolute Sound Comments on EDDIE

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
The Absolute Sound Comments on EDDIE
« on: 10 Jun 2016, 08:04 pm »

EDDIE debuted at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach last week. A number of reviewers dropped by including Robert Harley of THE ABSOLUTE SOUND. Here is the text from the show report:

Robert Harley’s Best of Show

Best Sound (for the money)

"The Eddie speaker from a new speaker company called Evoke caught my ear for its tremendous price-to-performance ratio. The $3995-per-pair Eddie features a ribbon tweeter, planar-magnetic midrange, and a cone woofer. Driven by NuPrime electronics, it sounded clean, fast, and transparent—and like it should cost much more than $4k."

Note that EDDIE is being introduced at $3295 a pair. I did correct his spelling from Eddy to Eddie. For a full version of all his reviews visit the link:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-show-at-newport-robert-harley-on-analog-and-digital-sources/

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: The Absolute Sound Comments on EDDIE
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm »
Congrats, they did sound very, very good in Newport! I spoke with John Casler when visiting your room!

Well done!

Cheers,
Pete

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2016, 12:40 am »
Congrats, they did sound very, very good in Newport! I spoke with John Casler when visiting your room!

Well done!

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks, Pete. I'm glad you liked them. All the effort seems to be paying off. I remember the first time I tested those planar mids - they were amazing. Speaking of effort - no one can see is all the work that goes into building the crossover. I enjoy it when I finish building them  :lol:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:28 am »
How about a pic of the crossover...edited in paint/photoshop to hide any values...:thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:43 am »
How about a pic of the crossover...edited in paint/photoshop to hide any values... :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

I would like to but there is a lot more going on than just the components themselves. Let me say this: there are 5 inductors that have to be placed relative to each other and with concern to the woofer magnet. With inductors and capacitors the over a dozen components. So that made it necessary to have 2 boards. (In part that a larger board won't make it through any opening as well.) That's separate from the binding post and L-pad section. What gets hairy is the interconnecting harness between the 3 pieces so it remains neat and clean.

I do also believe in a bit of overkill. The Vishay resistors are rated at 50 watts. All signal path capacitors are Mudorf Supreme and all the air coil inductors are hand wound to meet specs.

Mark

RJR

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:29 pm »
Congratulations Mark!!  You know how badly I wanted to be there but that just wasn't possible.

Wishing you every success.

Bob

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:18 am »
Congratulations Mark!!  You know how badly I wanted to be there but that just wasn't possible.

Wishing you every success.

Bob

Thanks, Bob - I appreciate that! It was a great show. Maybe next year... And we can all work toward Rocky Mountain.

M

Joe Frances

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2016, 02:13 am »
I bet they would sound great connected with Pete's Triode Wire/American Speaker cables! :D

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2016, 05:05 am »
I bet they would sound great connected with Pete's Triode Wire/American Speaker cables! :D

We had an "un-named" wire in the room before we tried the WyWires on EDDIE. It was like taking a layer of sand paper off and the system sounded liquid smooth. What are your thoughts on Pete's? Any experience with WyWires?

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2016, 02:21 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, "PETE" stopped by the room, and took a listen?  I seem to remember "Pete" and "TRIODE". 

Everything else is a blur  :duh:

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:24 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, "PETE" stopped by the room, and took a listen?  I seem to remember "Pete" and "TRIODE". 

Everything else is a blur  :duh:

I hear the blur part! Yes, I believe he did drop by.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2016, 07:45 pm »

Well done!

Cheers,
Pete

Yes. . .and he posted above to cement it   :thumb: