Extra Cheap & Cheerful SainSmart 6N3 Preamp

Tomy2Tone

Re: Extra Cheap & Cheerful SainSmart 6N3 Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2016, 11:18 am »
Is this the same board you guys are referring to...

https://smile.amazon.com/SainSmart-Assembled-6N3-Headphone-Transformer/dp/B008BGLN5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482231919&sr=8-1&keywords=sainsmart+6n3

Any chance any of you have compared this to an ifi itube?

Markvdv

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:11 pm »

Red is first stage operating point, blue is second stage. Here you might also get idea why it sounds different than any other (blue 2nd tube might be near hifi)

Markvdv

« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:39 pm »
Amazon link is indeed same tubeamp. It isn't a buffer in any way, the low inputimpedance and the higher outputimpedance makes that name silly.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2017, 04:43 am »
Thanks for the schematic Markvdv.  I guess I should have included in my original post that this preamp circuit is supposed to be a copy of a Matisse Fantasy Preamp.  I've looked over the Matisse circuit diagrams (as best I can... I'm no E.E.) and it appears to me that this isn't a very close copy.  None the less, I am still quite pleased with the sound.

Neil

In my experience it's extremely rare for these Chinese "copies" to bear any resemblance to the circuit it's purported to be a copy of ... and by "extremely rare" I mean I know of no examples. It's just ad copy designed to pull up some eBay search terms and basically what the vendor thinks we might want to hear.

That doesn't necessarily mean some of these units are not worthwhile, it just means that "it is what it is" versus "it is what it claims to be a copy of".

pokee1016

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2020, 07:00 am »
I have had one of these units for about two years now in my system. I've had a lot of gear come and go since then. As an avid tinkerer and someone who repairs and modifies and has designed circuits I'm fairly blown away by the transparency and musicality of this circuit. I have no problem hanging this unit onto the end of a fairly highly resolving DAC but I have run into problems with the 10k input loading on tube output stages whose impedance doesn't like to be loaded that heavily. In most applications it's not a problem like a DAC or CD player with low Z output. It tends to breathe life into some drier sounding circuits without reducing a shred of transparency. I have replaced caps, resistors and tubes but that's because I can't help myself. The GE 5670 JAN version is a no-brainer and is readily available cheap. WE 396A is even better but good luck finding them and to be honest the improvement of the GE over the Chinese is night and day and very close to the Western Electric. I get the problems pointed out in an earlier comment with the feedback loading with the output volume being hung on the second gain stage plate but I don't use the unit as a pre-amp (it isn't a buffer either since technically it's the opposite) so I have the output fixed. I think it's the simplicity of the circuit that doesn't take away much, it's quiet, doesn't intrude on dynamics (actually creates a sence of punchier dynamics with tighter bass, doen't rob the high end air and adds sparkle to cymbals and fills out vocals with a sprinkle of richness commonly associated with much higher end preamps. It's realy quite a marvel when implemented correctly.

annamarykahn

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:33 pm »
I have had one of these units for about two years now in my system. I've had a lot of gear come and go since then. As an avid tinkerer and someone who repairs and modifies and has designed circuits I'm fairly blown away by the transparency and musicality of this circuit. I have no problem hanging this unit onto the end of a fairly highly resolving DAC but I have run into problems with the 10k input loading on tube output stages whose impedance doesn't like to be loaded that heavily. In most applications it's not a problem like a DAC or CD player with low Z output. It tends to breathe life into some drier sounding circuits without reducing a shred of transparency. I have replaced caps, resistors and tubes but that's because I can't help myself. The GE 5670 JAN version is a no-brainer and is readily available cheap. WE 396A is even better but good luck finding them and to be honest the improvement of the GE over the Chinese is night and day and very close to the Western Electric. I get the problems pointed out in an earlier comment with the feedback loading with the output volume being hung on the second gain stage plate but I don't use the unit as a pre-amp (it isn't a buffer either since technically it's the opposite) so I have the output fixed. I think it's the simplicity of the circuit that doesn't take away much, it's quiet, doesn't intrude on dynamics (actually creates a sence of punchier dynamics with tighter bass, doen't rob the high end air and adds sparkle to cymbals and fills out vocals with a sprinkle of richness commonly associated with much higher end preamps. It's realy quite a marvel when implemented correctly.

curious if you've compared this to the fx-audio tube-01 pre?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:12 am »
I have and the $31 FX Tube-01 with Russian tubes and a linear regulated power supply is better.

ginetto61

« Reply #27 on: 1 Oct 2020, 09:47 am »
... I get the problems pointed out in an earlier comment with the feedback loading with the output volume being hung on the second gain stage plate but I don't use the unit as a pre-amp (it isn't a buffer either since technically it's the opposite) so I have the output fixed... It's realy quite a marvel when implemented correctly 

Hi !  i am not sure to understand how do you use it.  Could you elaborate a little ?  did you mod it ?    :scratch:
I am waiting to get one ... i see that resistors names on the schematic and on the board does not match.  Asa i will get it i will take some pics   
My idea is to use just the first tube as a buffer to give some tube flavour to the sound nothing more   
I have already plenty of gain in my chain ... i have always to fight against gain
By the way ... are you still using it or moved to anything else ?   
Thanks a lot, gino