Vandersteen surround question...

bmg1

Vandersteen surround question...
« on: 6 Mar 2016, 07:11 pm »
Hi All.
I've a 3 channel Vandersteen setup - 3A sigs as L/R and VCC-5 as center. I'm looking to add VSM-1s as rear surround speakers.
However, I've just ~1.5 feet between the side wall and a door frame where I can mount one of the rear speakers.
Centering it would leave it just ~3 inches away from the side wall. Is that good enough?
If not, would the 1Ci speakers work just as well as rear surround speakers?
Appreciate your time and feedback on this.
Thanks!

dminches

Re: Vandersteen surround question...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:57 pm »
I can't fully picture what you are saying (can you draw a picture and upload it?) but the VSM-1s would be better on the side wall, opposite the seating area, as opposed to being mounted on the rear wall.

bmg1

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:08 am »

Is placement of red VSM-1 OK?

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2016, 01:08 am »
Is isn't ideal since it is so close to the side wall which could result in more reflections.  Any chance you could hang them on the side walls?  If not, it will be ok.

bmg1

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:06 pm »
Can't hang on the sides as the wall on one side is too far away.
How about the ceiling?
What about using a 1Ci as surround instead of VSM-1? That can be placed farther from the wall/door and directed as well.
Has anyone used 1Ci as a surround?

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2016, 05:35 pm »
Can't hang on the sides as the wall on one side is too far away.
How about the ceiling?
What about using a 1Ci as surround instead of VSM-1? That can be placed farther from the wall/door and directed as well.
Has anyone used 1Ci as a surround?

I would not use the ceiling.

I have not used 1Cis as surround.

How far away would the speaker on the left wall be?  The distance difference can be adjusted for with the gain and distance settings on your processor.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:23 pm »
I would not use the ceiling.

I have not used 1Cis as surround.

How far away would the speaker on the left wall be?  The distance difference can be adjusted for with the gain and distance settings on your processor.

I only use Vandy speakers for my 2 channel system, but I also have a few HT setups using Salk and AV123 speakers.

In those setups I have had on wall "surround specific" speakers, as well as using "normal" stereo speakers.

You are probably fine with either one.

I switched over to using normal stereo speakers for the rear when full range content started to become more prevalent.  The stereo speakers also allowed for more placement options since they didn't need a wall to sit on.

dminches suggestion of leveraging the processor to deal with differences in distance is spot on and why that setting exists.

George

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2016, 01:00 pm by zybar »

bmg1

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2016, 03:49 am »
Thanks dminches and zybar for sharing your insights!
I'll give the 1Cis a go and update on how they go.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2016, 03:02 pm »
The location of the VSM-1 is fine.  Mount them 48 inches up from the floor to the bottom. Because they are point sources they will out perform any floor stander except in the bass.  Bass is omni directional so it is redirected to the LFE when small is selected for the rear channel.  I believe it is better to eventually put a 2Wq in the rear of the room in the corner so that the rear is full range.

This is the best way to go.

bmg1

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2016, 02:05 am »
Interesting. You are saying the VSM-1 will outperform 1Ci for surround!
I'm anyway filtering out the low range to a subwoofer. So, bass is not an issue.
I do have a subwoofer in the mix (just not 2Wq which I will upgrade to at some point).
My target for having a 5.1 surround is SACD and HT.

dminches

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2016, 12:06 pm »
I don't agree that the VsM-1s will out perform the 1Cs. You will have to compare them.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2016, 07:31 pm »
Interesting. You are saying the VSM-1 will outperform 1Ci for surround!
My target for having a 5.1 surround is SACD and HT.

I think the "will" should be "should, in theroy" just because of the way they are designed.

The reason I say this is because with the VSM-1's  the "coaxial woofer and tweeter share the same acoustical center so they are always perfectly aligned and converge within inches." The 1Ci is designed to be positioned away from the wall where "their drivers can fully converge and properly align at the listening position", this require about 8 to 10 feet if I'm not mistaken. Also with the 1Ci put into that corner, it will rather emphasize the output of the base.
I use to run that setup with the VSM's, except with a little more space and a 2Wq working in conjunction the VSM's just behind the couch and it worked well, I could run the VSM full range.

I would go with the diagram you have and use something to block the sound from reflecting directly off the wall beside the VSM.

You will not know until you try. And if you get to use them both let us know how it turns out.

ctsooner

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2016, 04:55 pm »
What have you decided to do?  I'm hoping that you tried what I shared and also another suggestion or two. Which one sounds better for you?