Replacing the wifi part of my router + wifi all in one

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Replacing the wifi part of my router + wifi all in one
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:39 pm »
That's a really good price ($84)-amazon has them closer to $160.  Almost too good...is there a catch, lIke refurb?

I think that vendor on Amazon is trying to take advantage of something in short supply. Web search will see them pretty regularly under $100. Just got off the phone with Baltic. Mine ship tomorrow, but the supply is trickling in to them. Now says end of December availability.

Seems they just introduced these, they're not in Ubiquiti's store on website. Forum posts confirm short supply so I guess I'm lucky...I ordered Monday! We'll see.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:47 pm »
I think that vendor on Amazon is trying to take advantage of something in short supply. Web search will see them pretty regularly under $100. Just got off the phone with Baltic. Mine ship tomorrow, but the supply is trickling in to them. Now says end of December availability.

Seems they just introduced these, they're not in Ubiquiti's store on website. Forum posts confirm short supply so I guess I'm lucky...I ordered Monday! We'll see.

That makes sense. Anyway I just ordered the other one for $70 and it will be here tomorrow.   Can always upgrade in the future.

I just remembered - arstechnica.com may have reviewed these.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:53 pm »
FWIW, Son in law has a lot of Ubiquiti stuff deployed. He's pretty high on it and would not jump on if it was problematic. If you nose around there's a number of reviews online. Their stuff isn't really geared or marketed to home users, but is finding an audience there anyway. People like good stuff. I hope it works out like I imagine it.

Here's a review I just ran across.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/ubiquiti-revamps-its-enterprise-unifi-gear-and-weve-got-some-to-review/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:50 am »
Peter (and tvyankee),

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something similar here in Taiwan. We have a serious problem with either weak wifi in the far bedroom, or constantly dropped wifi to my SB Touch while it is streaming one of my premium music channels. Perhaps, I need to adjust the cache on that. Now how do I do that?...

Have any of you heard that routers do not age well? I read somewhere that as wifi routers age, they tend to have more problems. I think my wifi router is nearly three years old.

ACHiPo

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:15 am »
FWIW, Son in law has a lot of Ubiquiti stuff deployed. He's pretty high on it and would not jump on if it was problematic. If you nose around there's a number of reviews online. Their stuff isn't really geared or marketed to home users, but is finding an audience there anyway. People like good stuff. I hope it works out like I imagine it.

Here's a review I just ran across.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/ubiquiti-revamps-its-enterprise-unifi-gear-and-weve-got-some-to-review/
Peter, TVYankee,
Will these Ubiquiti extenders work with a Comcast modem, or do I need to get my own modem/router?  The article makes it sound like a special router is required?

Thanks!
AC

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:22 am »

Have any of you heard that routers do not age well? I read somewhere that as wifi routers age, they tend to have more problems. I think my wifi router is nearly three years old.

Michael,  I'd question whether a router  somehow diminishes with age. Seems to me it's like any other piece of electronica, it either works or it doesn't.  At three years old  though, I'd sure check the manufacturer's website and see if they have a firmware update .

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:31 am »
Peter, TVYankee,
Will these Ubiquiti extenders work with a Comcast modem, or do I need to get my own modem/router?  The article makes it sound like a special router is required?

Thanks!
AC
I really think we have to differentiate between extenders and access points here.  Extenders usually refers to something you add on to an existing Wi-Fi router. These are access points and you need a router in front of them.  You shouldn't have to use the Ubiquiti router, if you already have a Wi-Fi router combo you could just turn the wireless radio off via the interface.  That way you're just using the router part.  Initially I'll use a Cisco Wi-Fi router in exactly that way, eventually I may change that.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:53 am »
  You shouldn't have to use the Ubiquiti router, if you already have a Wi-Fi router combo you could just turn the wireless radio off via the interface.  That way you're just using the router part.  Initially I'll use a Cisco Wi-Fi router in exactly that way, eventually I may change that.

Same here - I'll get the ubiquity AP working with known equipment,  then I'll update the router later.  Given the enterprise/complex set up of these devices  it seems prudent.

tvyankee

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:35 pm »
ACHiPo,

Here is what i would would do if i were you.  I would first call Comcast and have them put your modem in bridged mode then i would put this router https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ in front of your Comcast Modem/router. the 2nd thing after that would be if you dont have a coax of eithernet cable in that room would be use a powerline adapter.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3QPG1A?ie=UTF8&tag=small0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00Y3QPG1A  then put a switch on the end of that so you could hook up all your equipment in your room.

If you have a piece of coax in that room you can use this even if your cable box is hooked up. http://www.shopactiontec.com/collections/moca-ethernet-adapters/products/bonded-moca-2-0-ethernet-to-coax-adapter-twin-pack

The thing about wifi range extenders is that they are a little wonky. They work but you are not going to get the reliability of the others.

If you want more help PM with your number and i will talk you thru some things.

Doublej

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:06 pm »
I believe that one can put a Comcast wireless gateway into bridge mode without calling Comcast. Log into the admin tool and hunt around. I don't remember where the bridge mode setting is as I don't have Comcast anymore.

Most people can then add a quality wifi router http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp and they are good to go. I tell folks to stick with the default SSID and security settings unless they have special requirements.

GentleBender

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:38 pm »
I believe that one can put a Comcast wireless gateway into bridge mode without calling Comcast. Log into the admin tool and hunt around. I don't remember where the bridge mode setting is as I don't have Comcast anymore.

Most people can then add a quality wifi router http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp and they are good to go. I tell folks to stick with the default SSID and security settings unless they have special requirements.
I like to change the SSID to prevent someone from easily identifying my wireless router model and it's vulnerabilities. But please be sure to change the default password!

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:07 pm »

If you have a piece of coax in that room you can use this even if your cable box is hooked up. http://www.shopactiontec.com/collections/moca-ethernet-adapters/products/bonded-moca-2-0-ethernet-to-coax-adapter-twin-pack

On a side note, for those of us with fios, moca is built in to the coax already.  You'd only need one adapter to change the coax into stadard ethernet rj45.

tvyankee

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:10 pm »
Hey,

I think he was talking about the Wireless Passwrord not the ADmin password. I think Manufactures have gotten better with there wireless passwords and there ssid's to connect to the internet.

But also you should change the admin log in for the router itself you dont want people doing anything stupid.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:49 pm »
I am glad to see the Comcast info on routers as I will be playing with my setup in a couple of weeks.  Right now I use my own Cable modem and WiFi.  The wife did a stellar job :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: of adding a bunch of stuff for a lot less money (about $50 a month) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

So I will have a camera pointed at the audio setup 24/7/365.   I do know that if you have all the DVR etc you are locked into their wifi for the tv's.   They also have a free WIFI for all the neighbors.  That feature you can turn off but don't ask me just yet.  I helped my father with his 6 months ago.

I have two neighbors that have the Xfinity wifi setup for their use and they are lucky to get 60 ft. from the box and they are down to one bar signal strength at 50ft

I have a cisco Linksys E2500  a fair product and yet I can have a connection when I am across the street.

I will follow up with the outcome of the new installation.  I am concerned about the camera pointed at the Audio stuff since the wife could look and see what I am doing when she is gone :scratch: :scratch: 

It keeps me off the street's[/size]

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #34 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:01 pm »

So I will have a camera pointed at the audio setup 24/7/365. 

This makes me really curious. Audio gremlins? Poltergeists? Mischievous cats? My imagination is...well, imagining!

aldcoll

« Reply #35 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:06 pm »
This makes me really curious. Audio gremlins? Poltergeists? Mischievous cats? My imagination is...well, imagining!

As I write this it reminds me of my daughters demanding I get cordless telephones so they could sit on the porch and talk to their friend with her cordless phone.  And she lives across the street :scratch:

And that was before Cell phones. thank goodness.   

What about a new circle where we skype while we listen to our stereo's  :scratch:

aldcoll

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2015, 12:29 am »
I did some digging today so I I'll be prepaired for the service call next week from Xfinity.  You can change the name of and password for the wireless set up.  You can also change SSID.   And if you forget any of these items you can reset to default settings.  And the default info is on the equipment I d tape on the bottom.   You can also reset remotely.

And my brother in law will double check as his hardware for X1 would not allow this.  Might be a update???

Will report back next weekend.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2015, 02:53 am »
Got my Unifi UAP up and running as an AP. Setup was fast and easy, no more difficult than any other.  That makes me worried that I'm missing something important.

Anyway without tweaking the settings or placing it optimally, I'm seeing a 5-10 dBm increase.

What I'm really looking forward to is its ability to handle lots of clients at once. I have about 1 dozen in my home, strains the normal wifi, hopefully cake for this one.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:38 pm »
Got my Unifi UAP up and running as an AP. Setup was fast and easy, no more difficult than any other.  That makes me worried that I'm missing something important.

Anyway without tweaking the settings or placing it optimally, I'm seeing a 5-10 dBm increase.

What I'm really looking forward to is its ability to handle lots of clients at once. I have about 1 dozen in my home, strains the normal wifi, hopefully cake for this one.

Glad to know it's working. I'll be gathering the miscellaneous gear and  doing the wiring infrastructure over the next couple of weeks.

ACHiPo

« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:50 pm »
ACHiPo,

Here is what i would would do if i were you.  I would first call Comcast and have them put your modem in bridged mode then i would put this router https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/ in front of your Comcast Modem/router. the 2nd thing after that would be if you dont have a coax of eithernet cable in that room would be use a powerline adapter.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3QPG1A?ie=UTF8&tag=small0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00Y3QPG1A  then put a switch on the end of that so you could hook up all your equipment in your room.

The thing about wifi range extenders is that they are a little wonky. They work but you are not going to get the reliability of the others.

If you want more help PM with your number and i will talk you thru some things.
Thanks!  I just landed back in the US from a 2-week business trip and am visiting family until after Thanksgiving.  I'll follow up in a couple weeks once I get my new NAS installed and sorted.

AC