LaHave Audio Mela monitors

jonbee

LaHave Audio Mela monitors
« on: 14 Nov 2015, 10:25 pm »
Having decided to maximize the listening experience in my 10x12 office to counter the ongoing development of my tinnitis I've been trying some new "bookshelf" speakers there to use in addition to my Hifiman HE560 headphones, with less concern about a price limit than I had in place previously for this room. This room has already seen over 100 pairs of stand mount speakers, over 30 pairs costing $1500-$5k.
My favorite stand mount speaker of all had been the Selah Audio Tempesta, but it is too tall for the cabinets I use in this small room.
I've been aware of LaHave Audio for some time. There are a few owner reviews of the Mela online that are positively glowing, with comparisons to very pricey competition such as Dynaudio C1s, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors and TAD CR1s. LaHave is mostly a one man operation in Lunenburg Nova Scotia. Several of the premium models use a late version of the nearly full range Jordan 50mm driver, a descendent of the Jordan 50mm modules that have been around for several decades.
A friend bought a pair of the floor standing Thermopylae model, and I was very impressed by the speed and transparency of these beautifully crafted speakers.
Having heard those, when this pair of the Mela monitors turned up a great price, I thought I'd give them a try.

http://lahaveaudio.ca/products.html
The Melas use the 50mm modules above about 2khz., with a Seas Excel Nextel cone 7" woofer along with a passive radiator. The tweeter is stepped back for alignment. High quality crossover parts and wiring is used, and the cabinets are well braced and damped. The burl mahogany veneer work and finishing is as good as I have ever seen- just gorgeous.
They are jewel-like to see, and at $6500/pr. list, they are priced accordingly. They arrived double boxed in a custom made wooden crate that weighs > 30 lbs. 
As to the sound, I'm pleased to report that they sound as good as they look.
The Jordan 50mm drivers have been compared to 'stats in resolution and speed, but in my experience they can sound a bit dry and clinical if not handled correctly. LaHave has made a good decision to use the Nextel Excel woofer in the monitor- it warms the sound just a bit while maintaining good resolution, and the result is very fast and dynamic, but easy on the ears. They have very well defined and punchy bass into the low 40s. They are supremely well balanced and integrated, about as uniform from top to bottom as any 2 way I've heard.
The midrange tonality in particular is right there with the best voiced, most natural I've experienced. Comparing them to the HE-560s, the Melas give up nothing, sounding very similar. They may have the edge in dynamic contrasts.
Sitting 4-5 feet from them in my small office they fill the room with a presentation that is really beyond reproach in musical terms.
In my larger, very lossy living room, they are still well balanced, but response falls rapidly below 40 hz. My 6 man listening group preferred them to my $10k Joseph RM33LEs in that room because of their easy, natural tonality and unforced presentation. The Josephs have much deeper bass, a bit better lower midrange clarity and a larger soundstage, however.
I've not owned Tempestas for a couple of years, but they are the only stand mount I've owned that might be an overall match for these, and they can be bought for about half the Mela's price in standard finishes. The Tempestas do go deeper, and may have the edge in resolution, but I would venture that the Melas are a bit more spacious and smoother.
My departed floor standing Daedalus DA-RMAv2 cost 50% more, but as a floor standing 3 way they offer more bottom end range and power, lower distortion at volumes, and a bit better ambience resolution.
LaHave is another small craftsman company which offers superb products in the premium end of the market. They are worth keeping an eye out for.

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2018, 11:57 pm by jonbee »

TrungT

Re: LaHave Audio Mela monitors
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:18 pm »
Jon
Great review :thumb:
Thanks
It sound great in my big room, but in 10'x10' room, near field listening, it's little too bright.
Great sound with J.O.B 225

(Last year setup)

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:28 pm »
In my big room they were fine, and in the near field it was a little bright for me, but after I swapped speaker cables to Clear Days they took on an easier sound. Obviously I'm very pleased with them now.
My office amp is a little laid back on top, too, which is a good match.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:32 pm »
Jon,

Thanks for the review. I've been very curious about which speakers grabbed your attention, and now I know! I don't know if I will ever hear them, but I'm a sucker for most any burl. They're beautiful.

Michael

P.S. I have not yet heard from my friend.

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:47 pm »
I've been very curious about which speakers grabbed your attention, and now I know!
I had been using the Selah Anniversario in there, and had decided they were the answer (truly impossible to beat for the $, new or used, IMO).
But- when I saw the finish on my friend's LaHaves and on the Mela's, I couldn't stop myself. Sonically they have more resolution of spatial information than the Selahs.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2018, 04:11 pm by jonbee »