Who can service Bedini amplifier?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Who can service Bedini amplifier?
« on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:53 am »
Hi, I have a Bedini 25/25 1 Meg amplifier that needs to be serviced.  I can get any response from Bedini.  They have a website but I think they're out of business.  Anyone know of a qualified tech who can service this rare amp?  Thanks.

Bemopti123

Re: Who can service Bedini amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:57 am »
It would be helpful if you mention your location unless you are willing to risk shipping. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2015, 04:02 am »
Mike Missel in St Louis is tops!

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2015, 06:50 am »
It would be helpful if you mention your location unless you are willing to risk shipping.

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  Houston, Texas. I know of one local tech but he told me I need to get the service manual for the amp (couldn't find one).  He didn't seem to be that knowledgeable.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2015, 06:51 am »
Mike Missel in St Louis is tops!

Thanks. Do you know if he has worked on Bedini Amos before?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2015, 02:07 pm »
He's a member here with the GAS mob.  mjmsound.  Drop him a note.  Great guy, too!

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:34 pm »
He's a member here with the GAS mob.  mjmsound.  Drop him a note.  Great guy, too!

Thanks!

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2015, 04:19 pm »
I think I've read elsewhere on the net that emailing isn't the best way to get in touch with someone at Bedini, but they (he) still provides service. Go old school and pick up the phone.
http://www.bedini.com/service.htm

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2015, 07:07 pm »
I think I've read elsewhere on the net that emailing isn't the best way to get in touch with someone at Bedini, but they (he) still provides service. Go old school and pick up the phone.
http://www.bedini.com/service.htm

I've tried calling in the past on 5 different occasions and never received a response.  I've recently read some disturbing posts on their customer service (eg, never getting repair items back) and I'm having second thoughts about sending my amp to them.  I don't know who actually does the service, Bedini himself or some tech.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2015, 07:37 pm »
I believe it's Bedini himself.
Yeah, I think you're right, now that you've jogged my memory. It is very hit or miss as I think he works on stuff as he has time......which can take months. Yes, I read where people didn't get gear back, but I think at least one or more of those issues was because the return info wasn't provided or the address was incorrect or no phone number or email was provided. Something like that...
At any rate, I think you're smart with taking pause and also not going the route of others and just sending stuff without some direct dialog first.
Unfortunately, it may be difficult to get that baby fixed without a schematic. A tech may be able to replace bad parts and get it going, but getting it set back to spec would be a crap shoot.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm »
I believe it's Bedini himself.
Yeah, I think you're right, now that you've jogged my memory. It is very hit or miss as I think he works on stuff as he has time......which can take months. Yes, I read where people didn't get gear back, but I think at least one or more of those issues was because the return info wasn't provided or the address was incorrect or no phone number or email was provided. Something like that...
At any rate, I think you're smart with taking pause and also not going the route of others and just sending stuff without some direct dialog first.
Unfortunately, it may be difficult to get that baby fixed without a schematic. A tech may be able to replace bad parts and get it going, but getting it set back to spec would be a crap shoot.

Should a competent technician have an idea of what the circuit should be designed for?  It is class A, meaning that the circuit should be simple to trace or maybe I am just talking.  I wonder how other people who work in defunct company amps get these amps up to spec.  I can think about Threshold...but then, the designer is still alive and kicking. 

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:36 am »
Well, the issue is availability of information. Some electronics become nothing but boat anchors. Bedini is/was a small operation in comparison to Threshold and others. Note, I don't believe Bedini was a partner owned company, and thus all IP is controlled by Bedini (the person).
Even if a really good tech could rebuild the amp to "new" would the tech be able to figure out what the proper settings, such as bias, should be (per the manufacturer)? Maybe Jon Soderberg over at http://www.vintageamprepair.net would be able to figure it out, based on his knowledge working on Threshold and Forte amps? Maybe you'd have to get a 100% functional 25/25 1 meg for the tech to compare to? :|

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2015, 02:31 am »
Well, the issue is availability of information. Some electronics become nothing but boat anchors. Bedini is/was a small operation in comparison to Threshold and others. Note, I don't believe Bedini was a partner owned company, and thus all IP is controlled by Bedini (the person).
Even if a really good tech could rebuild the amp to "new" would the tech be able to figure out what the proper settings, such as bias, should be (per the manufacturer)? Maybe Jon Soderberg over at http://www.vintageamprepair.net would be able to figure it out, based on his knowledge working on Threshold and Forte amps? Maybe you'd have to get a 100% functional 25/25 1 meg for the tech to compare to? :|

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2015, 02:31 am »

I remember reading that the Bedini 25 has some reliability issues but then, who exactly knows? These seem to me are designs from the 70s and 80s that somehow have survived until now.  I hope that the circuit is not as complex or proprietary, I am sure that they can be rebuilt to certain electric specs but obviously not factory but then with what I read about this one man operation, I would be hesitant to send him anything and expect to get it back.  Cannot trust someone who is practically unreachable.  This is the beginning of an odyssey in terms of get it working.

I myself have a Threshold amp that is original and I am thinking overhauling it BUT, I do not want to risk the travel and the damage from the East to the West Coast, so I might have it done locally.  I am sure some of the outfits that people have experience with are more than sufficient for recaps and some updates. 

GentleBender

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:54 pm »
I found this searching around.

You can find much more info here, but you will have to register. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/22641-bedini-100-100-need-help-set-bias-2.html

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:58 pm »
Frank Mufich in Dallas, TX is an absolute wizard and can typically work the circuit with or without schematic, he is tops!  http://www.mufichaudio.com/index.html

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:25 am »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  I've decided to give Jon Soderberg a chance to fix my amp.  He seems to have solid reputation on both audiocircle and audiogon.  I hope it's not going to cost an arm and a testicle.

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:35 am »
Good choice. I bet JS can figure it out.
As mentioned earlier, it's a small class A amp. I doubt the circuitry is any more complex than the smallest Threshold amp he's worked on.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2015, 06:27 am »
Did you get this figured out? I got a guy I work with, PM me if you want (TX, 4hr drive).

a.wayne

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:54 pm »
I've tried calling in the past on 5 different occasions and never received a response.  I've recently read some disturbing posts on their customer service (eg, never getting repair items back) and I'm having second thoughts about sending my amp to them.  I don't know who actually does the service, Bedini himself or some tech.

I wouldn't send anything to anyone not answering calls or returning emails ....