Replacement 15" Subwoofer Driver for New Larger Sub

Xi-Trum

My New Larger Subwoofer 15" driver is making flappy/rattling noise.  I'm looking for a replacement driver.  Does anyone have any suggestion?

While at it, I might replace the stock PR with an UltraMega as well.  I'm looking for something that will work well together.  I know Brian mentioned the Eminence 15" being a Megawoofer upgrade at one time.  Does anyone know the exact model and whether that would work?

Thanks a bunch!

DFaulds

Re: Replacement 15" Subwoofer Driver for New Larger Sub
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2014, 10:31 am »
The only 15" Eminence high quality sub driver I'm aware of that's available to hobbyists is the Lab15.  They make a ton of other drivers, but most of what is available to the DIY crowd are more sound reinforcement.  Most of their business is OEM.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-lab-15-15-pro-audio-subwoofer-speaker--290-575?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

This is a nice all purpose sub driver with decent Xmax that models well in a variety of different enclosures so would may work OK in Brians alignments.

Of course John might be aware of other alternatives.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm »
Thanks.  That Eminence Lab 15 looks like a candidate.  None of the other Eminence driver on PE reaches 20Hz.  I wonder if the Lab 15 is what Brian used for his Megawoofer upgrade.  The price seems a bit high for the upgrade cost that Brian asked for, though.

Brian also mentioned using TC Sound drivers in the New Larger Sub in this thread (reply #6):  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84145.0

So I take it that the New Larger sub can structurally house the TC Sound drivers.  I wonder if the electronics had to be upgraded/modified as well.

Just exploring my options right now.

DFaulds

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2014, 10:47 am »
Well the last few years of VMPS Bran seemed to be sourcing a number of things from PE, so the Lab15 may be one that he used since I doubt he had the volume in the last few years to be getting them OEM from Eminence.

He did use the TC Sounds drivers and called them the OMG upgrades as there were a number of threads on them.  Unfortunately, the frame on the TC Sounds, and possibly the Lab15 as well, may not fit the woofer cutout in your sub box.  I recall Brian did discuss some issues with using some of these later upgrade drivers with some of the standard VMPS sub cabinets.  I would expect that John could be able to help with this, although enlarging a woofer cutout isn't really that difficult.

danno14

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2014, 03:44 am »
Here is one more option:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126450.0

I figure I can ship if for about $10.
I would like to see it go to someone whom may use it

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm »
  Unfortunately, the frame on the TC Sounds, and possibly the Lab15 as well, may not fit the woofer cutout in your sub box.  I recall Brian did discuss some issues with using some of these later upgrade drivers with some of the standard VMPS sub cabinets.  I would expect that John could be able to help with this, although enlarging a woofer cutout isn't really that difficult.

You are correct many drivers will NOT fit the cutout without additional cabinet surgery.

I know the LAB 15 12" has this issue as I have one here from the factory and it is a bit too big.  Not sure about the 15".

mellowjammer

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2014, 05:00 pm »
I have 2 Larger subwoofers that are not specifically the "newest" but still the horizontal configuration, and I'm guessing the same cabinet volume.  I used the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 and it's 12" counterpart to replace my megawoofers, which would bottom out during HT use. These are the drivers Brian was selling as his latest "VMPS driver upgrade".   I know because he forgot to remove the Dayton labels from one of the drivers he sent me. I also purchased Brian's latest upgraded PRs which looked cheap and were assembled horribly, but still did the job.  The Daytons were a huge improvement in power handling without destroying the sub's musicality.  I did, however have to use a router to open the cutout and widen the speaker flange to mount these properly.  The PRs were a drop in replacement.

pocket.change

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2017, 01:52 am »
I have 2 Larger subwoofers that are not specifically the "newest" but still the horizontal configuration, and I'm guessing the same cabinet volume.  I used the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 and it's 12" counterpart to replace my megawoofers, which would bottom out during HT use. These are the drivers Brian was selling as his latest "VMPS driver upgrade".   I know because he forgot to remove the Dayton labels from one of the drivers he sent me. I also purchased Brian's latest upgraded PRs which looked cheap and were assembled horribly, but still did the job.  The Daytons were a huge improvement in power handling without destroying the sub's musicality.  I did, however have to use a router to open the cutout and widen the speaker flange to mount these properly.  The PRs were a drop in replacement.

Which method did you incorporate to open-up the basket's too small an opening?
I've been beating-up my Dremel grinder and taking lots of time.

As for a flappy 15" driver.
A simple fix... re-glue the cone/basket interface (been there/done that.)
There is NOTHING wrong with the driver. 
QC did not "make it" with this driver.  pc

mosawdust

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2017, 02:22 pm »
I have 2 nearly new 15" vitrified PR's that I pulled from ST/R's to replace with Ultra Mega PR's. I bought these from Brian when I updated and rebuilt my speakers a few years back. These are the last version that he had available before stepping up to the ultra mega's. They are probably not even broke in yet. I would be willing to sell these if your interested. I have the boxes my ultra mega's came in that I could ship these in. I don't see any need in hanging on to them any longer.

Brian

buddyiramae

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2017, 03:45 pm »
Hi Brian (Mosawdust,)

What a pleasant surprise. I am the fellow that bought your older ST/R parts a long time ago. I am interested in your vitrified PRs. Let me know more at your convenience.

Mike K. in Terrell, Tx 75160

mosawdust

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2017, 01:19 am »
PM sent Mike