Norh Drivers

Oki

Norh Drivers
« on: 22 Jul 2012, 07:52 am »
I bought a couple nOrh speakers when I was in Thailand about 10 years ago.  I decided to get them without the drivers to save money.  I'm just now getting around to buying the drivers for them.  I cant remember which drivers I needed to buy for the crossover in them.  The cross over components are on a wood board if that helps.  I think mine are the 7.0's.  From the research I have done so far, I believe that the mid driver is the ScanSpeak 18w/8545, is that correct?  I have also read that the tweeter may be the 9300, 9500, or 9700 scanspeak.  How do I know which tweeter I need?  Can I pick any of these to go with the cross over that is built in already?  Is it recommended that I get a certain one?

Thanks

hdspeakerman

Re: Norh Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/nOhr

Here is a little info.  Keep searching the web.  Nohr website is down.  Maybe for the count.
Howard
ps:  drivers must be selected specific to the crossover

hdspeakerman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm »

Oki

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2012, 05:18 am »
I have been to the website, but cant find info on the old version of the speaker.  I will try sending an email to nOrh to see if they can remember.

Thanks

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:42 pm »
here is the info from the website, for the nOrh Marble 7.0s
-------
Specifications

Long: 19 inches, Tall: 14 inches

Response - 3 dB at 43 Hz (43 to 20,000 Hz)
-10 dB at 33 Hz
Crossover frequency 3,000 hz
Tweeter - Scan-speak D2905/970000
Woofer - Scan-speak 18W/8545-00

Suggested minimum power 15W
Maximum continuous power 160W
Peak power 300W
Sensitivity 87dB

The nOrh 7.0 begins to roll off at 45 Hz and its 10 dB down-point is 33Hz

Availability: Pairs in marbles and synthetic marble, with real leather baffle.

Colors: Black, or white.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2012, 08:52 pm »
This is the link to the current nOrh website

http://www.norh.com/Norh_Loudspeaker/Norh.html

That first site called Audio Circuit is almost a spam website...it just scrapes some info and has lots of ads

Michael Barnes is now in the U.S. - some of the nOrh folks may be running the company behind the website, but there is not much communication or customer support from what I can see.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2012, 09:14 pm »
Do you have Marble 7.0s or Wood 7.0s?

Oki

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2012, 06:08 am »
I've got the wood ones, they were not making the marble ones when I bought mine.

dynaflo

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm »
I have the sevens with the 9700 tweeters.  You could get them with different tweeters but I don't know if that changed the crossovers.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:35 pm »
I've got the wood ones, they were not making the marble ones when I bought mine.

Ah Wood 7.0s - Tyson had a pair of those...

...if you do Active Bi-amping (bypassing the passive crossover) you have more options for the drivers for sure. But you should be able to get the standard drivers still I think.

By the way, as you now have reached 3 posts I don't need to approve your posts any longer! And welcome to AC and the nOrh Owners Circle!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:50 pm »
If memory serves, mine had the 8545 mid and the 9300 tweeter originally.  I later switched in the 9500 tweeter (and then even later the 9700), but I still think the 9300 was the best tweeter for the 7.0.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:51 pm »
Sigh...those were the days. Was that back in the HD days? nOrh speakers were just a gleam in my eyes back then.

Oki

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2012, 06:17 am »
Yeah, I found an old review( http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/frank09.htm) I remember reading before I bought mine, it is the 8545 mid & 9300 tweets.

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2012, 05:54 pm »
thought I would post some tidbits from that article on the crossover:

"The crossover is a third-order design that uses Audiocap 1% polypropylene metal-film capacitors and air-core inductors rated at 600 watts. Capacitors used in high-end products are often rated at 5% tolerance, and the inductors are sometimes ferrite-core types of lower power-handling capacity. Barnes plans to switch to MultiCap capacitors in the near future, and they are even more costly. The wiring, which is high-grade silver wire from Germany that’s hand-braided by nOrh to reduce inductive effects, is all hand-soldered using silver solder. The crossover is tuned using an LMS system, and the coils are positioned so that their flux is going in opposite directions.

With all this going for the nOrh 7.0, Barnes could have tried to cut corners in the area of driver selection -- but he didn’t! Instead he chose some of the very best units available to complete this package. A Scan-Speak 18W/8545 7" carbon-fiber woofer assumes the role of the baritone, and the Scan-Speak D2905/9300 1" silk-dome tweeter is the resident soprano. These same drivers are used in much more expensive speaker systems. To my knowledge the 7.0 is the least expensive speaker on the market to incorporate them.

The frequency response for the 7.0 speakers is stated as 45Hz to 36kHz +/- 3dB and -10dB at 33Hz. The rear port is tuned to 46Hz, and the internal cabinet volume is 17 liters. Sensitivity is 87dB for a 2.83 volt input at 1 meter, and the crossover frequency is set at 2kHz. Nominal impedance is specified at 8 ohms, and the minimum impedance is about 6.5 ohms at 200Hz. The two low-frequency impedance peaks occur at 80Hz (25 ohms) and at 20Hz (30 ohms). Except for the low-frequency impedance peaks, there are no other sharp peaks or dips that would suggest a difficult load for the amplifier."

So it seems that options for the speaker evolved a bit over the years but Tyson found the 9300 to be the best tweeter after all.