Mods for Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 coming soon

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: Mods for Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 coming soon
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2012, 04:29 pm »
Wayne told me about this unit and since I needed an extra DAC at the shop I went for it. after running it for a few days I took the Grant home to the big system last night to give a listen before sending it off to Wayne for surgery.
overall I would say it is a great value. I was pleased that it was not strident as many inexpensive DAC's can be. ( btw, I only listened with the direct DAC out, bypassing the volume control).
While the sound was lacking in definition and being a bit 'soft' or veiled, it was overall musical. I felt there is potential and can't wait to hear what Wayne can do with this.

btw the stock tube just looks cheap and nasty, anyone have tube recomendations?

I'll write again when I get it back

thanks,
lou

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

gooberdude

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2012, 03:26 am »
I popped a 1960's holland made 6DJ8 in mine and it helped tremendously, along with a herbies damper.  The stock tube has a crazy sheen to the sound.   I bought a pair of the amperex bugle boy tubes on eBay for $60. 

What gets me about the stock dac -11 is simply that it isn't strident.  It images better than my Tranquility dac, and there's nothing offensive about the sound quality or performance.

I hope to get my gf dac off to Wayne soon. 

Wayne1

« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2012, 02:11 pm »
Lou's DAC made it here last week. I have expanded the first mod a bit.

Lou wanted the tube output run at a fixed level, not through the volume control. I was able to accomplish this. The volume control still works for the headphone section and one SS output.

Lots of capacitors were replaced. Some rewiring was done. I put in a GB made Mullard 6DJ8 for initial evaluation.

At this point, the mids and highs are very extended, sweet and have fabulous imaging. All the caps are needing some extended break-in, but you can hear glimpses of extremely tight fast bass.

I'll discuss the mod some more as the break-in process continues.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:35 pm »

Tabrink did you compare it to the AVA ? If so, I am sure alot of us would be happy to know your impressions.

Thanks

I have a DAC-11 and an AVA Ultra II DAC and an Ultra II Preamp (both are hybrid tube/ss units) and I can tell you that the DAC-11 does not even belong on the same page as the AVA gear.  The AVA gear beats it in resolution, sound stage, transparency, bass, high frequency detail.  I even have a Maverick TubeMagic that I bought for my son with the op amp and tube upgrade that I like better for its more tubey sound..  I am not saying that the DAC-11 is bad but it just can't compete with the big boys in its stock form.  If it wasn't for the fact that I needed a preamp as well as a DAC I would have bought a used PS Audio Digilink III DAC.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:36 am »
I have a DAC-11 and an AVA Ultra II DAC and an Ultra II Preamp (both are hybrid tube/ss units) and I can tell you that the DAC-11 does not even belong on the same page as the AVA gear.  The AVA gear beats it in resolution, sound stage, transparency, bass, high frequency detail.  I even have a Maverick TubeMagic that I bought for my son with the op amp and tube upgrade that I like better for its more tubey sound..  I am not saying that the DAC-11 is bad but it just can't compete with the big boys in its stock form.  If it wasn't for the fact that I needed a preamp as well as a DAC I would have bought a used PS Audio Digilink III DAC.
I don't think anyone is 'comparing' the DAC-11 to gear costing 4-8 times as much and certainly not in stock form, but I have heard Wayne do some amazing things with gear that you would have a first listen tossed. I'm guessing he can make  this $300 DAC with a modest mod quite listenable, which is saying a lot.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:55 am »

My AVA DAC is my reference!
Wayne at Bolder should be awarded a crown for making the DAC -11 a bargain.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2012, 03:31 pm by tabrink »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2012, 05:34 pm »
I really wasn't trying to knock the DAC-11.  It is great for it's price and all the features. 

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:42 pm »
I received the DAC back from Wayne last week, after running it in at the shop for a couple of days I took it home to the 'A' system. WOW, he took a $300 piece and made it a serious DAC!!! 
 very clear, smooth and detailed. most of all it is musical. with hi-res files, I forget I'm evaluating and just groove on the music... a very good sign.
will it take the place of my AMR? no, but it is an UNAPOLOGETIC second choice and I think that is a huge accomplishment since I consider the AMR to be one of the best. I just can't get over the way this thing images and the clarity! I wish I could do that with speakers at that kind of money :scratch:

btw I thought both the tube abd SS outputs are very good. I started with a Mullard that Wayne had in it and now have an RCA which I like.
KUDOS to Wayne!

thanks,
lou

jlafrenz

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2012, 04:12 pm »
For those of you who have had the mod done or even heard a modded version, I would be interested in hearing what DAC's you have compared it against.