• Lone Star Audio Fest 2012: 4 May 2012 - 6 May 2012

Lone Star Audio Fest 2012

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Re: Lone Star Audio Fest 2012
« Reply #60 on: 8 May 2012, 04:49 pm »
Doug is correct except the ED was discontinued. The replacement sub is a Tang Band. Bit heavier and more expensive than the ED, but performance is on par, maybe slightly better when pushed hard. Front mounted now also.

cheers,

AJ

dwk

« Reply #61 on: 8 May 2012, 04:57 pm »
The TB is a nice driver, but it's a bit of a shame that the ED was discontinued - cosmetically it's much nicer. I never liked the big gasket on the TB.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #62 on: 8 May 2012, 05:10 pm »
thanks for the update, aj - i am looking forward to hearing these in rockville soon.   :wink:

and, that t-b woofer looks great - especially if its performance is possibly better than what it replaced! :green:  and, front-mounted must simplify assembly, which likely means its added cost is a wash?

doug s.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #63 on: 8 May 2012, 05:29 pm »
The TB is a nice driver, but it's a bit of a shame that the ED was discontinued - cosmetically it's much nicer.
Yep. Unfortunately, it also had some bedeviling QC issues...

and, front-mounted must simplify assembly, which likely means its added cost is a wash?
It means if you blow it up with the 300w rms, 500+ peak available, get your screwdriver ready, a user replacement is on the way. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. see you in Rockville

mightym

« Reply #64 on: 13 May 2012, 11:16 pm »
AJ, I slipped in to your room and heard those outstanding stand mounts on Friday, and Saturday.  Nice, amazing sound from such small boxes.  I thought you said the sub's were JBL products?  Am I remembering incorrectly?

Enjoyed meeting you, and hearing your babies.

John

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #65 on: 13 May 2012, 11:36 pm »
I thought you said the sub's were JBL products?  Am I remembering incorrectly?

Enjoyed meeting you, and hearing your babies.

John
Hi John,

Nice meeting you and yes, you remembered correctly. Bottom line, I ran out of time, could not make/complete a current version of the M1 in time for the show. So I grabbed an old prototype/demo pair, battle scarred and all :lol:, with the old JBL subs. The sound is near identical enough where it would be next to impossible to tell them apart. The new TB sub does seem to maintain its composure a bit better under duress (fairly high levels), looks slightly less gaudy and is a bit heavier, increasing the overall weight by a couple lbs.
Essentially, you heard the M1s.

cheers,

AJ

mightym

« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2012, 12:17 am »
Well regardless of which woofer, I liked them.

Frankly, I'm surprised that it hasn't been done before.  The idea seems so obvious once you've seen them.

You are in my personal top 5 of the show.

John