LIO v. Red Wine Audio

Stercom

LIO v. Red Wine Audio
« on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:25 am »
I've been holding back on writing this but now that the LIO is very well established I thought its ok to go ahead. I have a Red Wine Signature 57 which Vinnie upgraded to Liliana status at 115 watts/channel. I also have the dual-mono tubes, headphone stage and Analogica phono stage which Vinnie "tweaked" to add more gain - all in one unit with a cherry faceplate and battery power supply! Does it sound "better" than the LIO with a VR120 power amp? I don't know, but I do know its the best sound I have ever had at home, drives excellently every speaker I've used with it  and upgrades I've made with sources, speakers, cables, etc are easily heard. If you can find a good used piece of Red Wine Audio I say: "go for it". So, let's not forget Vinnie's excellent work from the past!! I like how it looks and I truly believe you cannot do better for the money! Opinions??
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2016, 09:01 am by Stercom »

Rocket

Re: LIO v. Red Wine Audio
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2016, 05:17 am »
Hi Stercom,

I bought a refurbished Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier about 2 years ago from Vinnie.  I've been intrigued by the Lio but I don't have the funds to purchase one.  I'm pretty happy with the performance of my Isabella and it was an improvement on my previous preamplifier.

I currently use it with a pair of Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla second edition which are high performance mono blocks.

The only issue I have is replacement of the batteries at some stage, although the wall wart power supply works quite well.

Cheers Rod

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2016, 08:45 am »
The only issue I have is replacement of the batteries at some stage"
Yep, new batteries at some point will be an additional expense but the cost of entry is so much lower, especially if you bought a used unit, its still well under the cost of a LIO. With a RWA integrated you get a preamp and amp (optional phono stage, tubes, headphone stage, etc) ALL OFF THE GRID. I've seen used Sig 16s go for less than $1,000 (for instance - http://www.tmraudio.com/product/undefined-1642) - that is excellent value!

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2016, 10:22 am »
Hi Stercom,

I think I've been able to piece together a pretty good audiophile system over the years.  Just after I bought my Isabella I replaced my speakers with Salk Sound HT3's and I think that the Isabella is a really good quality component and certainly isn't a weak spot in my system.

Perhaps I'll purchase some secondhand Red Wine Audio products in the future, especially if Vinnie is going to support it.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2016, 10:39 am by Rocket »

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:14 pm »
Hi Sternum,

Sternum?  Ha,ha - Stercom is a little weird. I should just go by my real name which is: Scott
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2016, 02:45 pm by Stercom »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2016, 11:18 pm »
Hi Stercom,

I'm happy to hear that you are still enjoying your "Signature 115" - it a beast of an integrated, with finesse!

I moved your post to the RWA forum, as I try to keep the VR forum dedicated to VR components and the the RWA
forum dedicated to the RWA components. 

Hi Rod / everyone,

Yes, I will continue to provide in-warranty and out-of-warranty support for Red Wine Audio components.

Battery packs are not covered under warranty, but I can still have them made when the time comes.  And I usually
have spare chargers in stock.

Second-hand units are not covered under warranty, but I still support them.  So contact me at my redwineaudio email address
if you have any questions related to RWA components.

There certainly are some good deals to be had on RWA components on the used market, but naturally there are costs associated
with servicing them when the time comes.

Enjoy it!

Vinnie

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:41 am »
Hi Stercom,

Sorry auto correct didn't like your name.  Haha I've fixed it now.

Hi Vinnie,

Very happy with my Isabella and your quality of customer service.  I can only imagine how good your new Lio system is.  Wishing you all the best.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2016, 05:51 am »
Hi Guys,

I just I'd mention that I've just bought a NOS Isabella from Vinnie as it had one left over.  This is my 3rd product that I've bought from Vinnie over the last few years.  He's so good to deal with and provides great customer service.

I'll definitely be buying more equipment from him in the future.

Cheers Rod

Stercom

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2016, 10:13 am »
Hi Guys,

I just I'd mention that I've just bought a NOS Isabella from Vinnie as it had one left over.  This is my 3rd product that I've bought from Vinnie over the last few years.  He's so good to deal with and provides great customer service.

I'll definitely be buying more equipment from him in the future.

Cheers Rod
:thumb: