New custom Dodd Pre-amp for sale. Great Deal!

Danny Richie

New custom Dodd Pre-amp for sale. Great Deal!
« on: 18 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm »
This is a pre-amp that Gary Dodd built some time ago, but it has very little time on it. It was his personal unit that he built into clear acrylic. It looks really good.  :thumb:

Back when Gary was fresh out of the hospital and not working I bought it off of him because he needed the money. The tube module was sent to someone else though so I never had it complete. A tube module later returned but it did not work. So it has been sitting here for quite a while. Now that Gary is back into reasonable health and working again he built a new tube module for it and got it working again.

This is the well known battery powered tube pre-amp. This one also has the variable gain output that is controlled with the rotary switch on the back. It can accept the 6H30 tube. I think it has a JJ E88CC in it now. Coupling caps are Sonicaps. It has three inputs and I think there is three outputs. It even has an acrylic remote.

The money made from this will go towards some of Gary's bills. Starting bids on it at $800. Best bid takes it. Or $1,200 takes it today. It is worth $1,400 to $1,600 pretty easy. You can bid here or privately too me via PM or e-mail at info@gr-research.com

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2015, 05:34 pm by Danny Richie »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: New custom Dodd Pre-amp for sale.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm »
Very nice.... :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:57 pm »

This is a pre-amp that Gary Dodd built some time ago, but it has very little time on it. It was his personal unit that he built into clear acrylic. It looks really good.  :thumb:

Back when Gary was fresh out of the hospital and not working I bought it off of him because he needed the money. The tube module was sent to someone else though so I never had it complete. A tube module later returned but it did not work. So it has been sitting here for quite a while. Now that Gary is back into reasonable health and working again he built a new tube module for it and got it working again.

This is the well known battery powered tube pre-amp. This one also has the variable gain output that is controlled with the rotary switch on the back. It can accept the 6SN7 tube. I think it has a JJ E88CC in it now. Coupling caps are Sonicaps. It has three inputs and I think there is three outputs. It even has an acrylic remote.

The money made from this will go towards some of Gary's bills. Starting bids on it at $800. Best bid takes it. Or $1,200 takes it today. It is worth $1,400 to $1,600 pretty easy. You can bid here or privately too me via PM or ...

Danny,

Can you explain how this pre with a JJ E88CC tube (a 9 pin 6922 variant) can accept the octal 6SN7 tube? Is it using a 6922/6DJ8 9 pin tube or the 12AU7 (a 9 pin tube as well, but it is the 9 pin version of the octal 6SN7, and hence an adapter can be made to make it accept the octal 6SN7). All of the Gary built pres I have seen however have used either 6922/6DJ8 types or the 6H30.

Is that an Alps Blue pot I see?

Thanks,
Anand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2015, 09:13 pm »
Danny,

Can you explain how this pre with a JJ E88CC tube (a 9 pin 6922 variant) can accept the octal 6SN7 tube? Is it using a 6922/6DJ8 9 pin tube or the 12AU7 (a 9 pin tube as well, but it is the 9 pin version of the octal 6SN7, and hence an adapter can be made to make it accept the octal 6SN7). All of the Gary built pres I have seen however have used either 6922/6DJ8 types or the 6H30.

Is that an Alps Blue pot I see?

Thanks,
Anand.

Oh yeah, that's not right. I meant that it will take a 6H30. Corrected...

abernardi

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2015, 04:16 am »
Very cool looking piece of gear.  I have this preamp and it's excellent.  Anyone looking fro a preamp won't be disappointed with this.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2015, 10:57 am »
That is an Alps motor controlled pot for remote control.  The stock buffer kit came with the Alps Blue pot unless you upgraded it with the remote control.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2015, 01:09 pm »
I have owned a Dodd Preamp and a Dodd Buffer, both with remotes.  And both worked fine and were dead quite..

Good luck...

Danny Richie

Re: New custom Dodd Pre-amp for sale. Great Deal!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2015, 05:35 pm »
This one is a great deal for someone.

wshuff

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2015, 10:23 pm »
That acrylic remote is awesome!  But I'd never be able to find it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2015, 09:49 pm »
Surprisingly this is still available.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:33 pm »
Surprisingly this is still available.

Yeah,  I had been  watching one in particular (actually there are a couple) in the trading post,  he kep t lowering price,  no takers.... don't know if he ever moved it.   Slow
I mentioned this one to Don as  I know he is kind of a clear acrylic  "nut"  but he's not after a pre at this point

jay

firedog

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2015, 06:53 am »
Not in the market for this, but just curious: How good are these Dodd Preamps? In other words what kind of money would you need to spend and what tube pre's would you need to buy to get something noticeably better?
And the answer might even help sell these....

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2015, 11:56 am »
I heard one like this in Danny's system when I was in TX a few weeks back.  I have both the earlier tube 2 battery preamp and tube buffers.  This sounds better than both of them.  The one Danny had used a 6H30P-DR like my tube buffer and sounded better to me.  It was driving the OBLS speakers and Servo subs and sounded like music.  He used it at RMAF2013 with the LS-X and I had the same impression.

The adjustable gain feature lets you adapt it to your system needs. It has a bit more gain in the 0dB mode than the buffer.  That can be beneficial to some systems needing it to drive their amps.  It also has higher gain settings if needed.   Lower noise than my two tube preamp using Dario Miniwatt 7308's.

I paid almost double that for the two tube two battery preamp with remote control.  This is a bargain for the sound quality.   I have talked to Gary about updating my original preamp to this style with my 6H30P-DR tube I liked it enough. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:01 pm »
Not in the market for this, but just curious: How good are these Dodd Preamps? In other words what kind of money would you need to spend and what tube pre's would you need to buy to get something noticeably better?
And the answer might even help sell these....

If you upgrade the output coupling caps, the resistors, and the tube, I don't know of a better sounding pre-amp at any price point.

I was using one of these pre-amps at the last RMAF I exhibited in and the Absolute Sound picked our room as the best sound at the show cost no object.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm »
Danny, did you figure out if this has three outputs or is it two with a HT bypass or tape loop?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2015, 02:33 am »
Danny, did you figure out if this has three outputs or is it two with a HT bypass or tape loop?

Three inputs, two outputs, and a tape out. The tap out is a fixed output that does not go through the volume controls. It is just a loop.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2015, 02:57 pm »
This pre-amp is still available.