EAR834P which MC is a good match?

Lyon

EAR834P which MC is a good match?
« on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:43 pm »
Hi

Anyone using the Esoteric Audio research 834P Signature phono stage? Im looking to upgrade my MM cartridge to a decent MC preferably Dynavector XX2 or something like that....anyone had experience of a Good MC match for the EAR834P?

Thanks

Jack

mick wolfe

Re: EAR834P which MC is a good match?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:30 pm »
There was a review of the 834 in SoundStage years ago, probably late 90's. The reviewer liked the EAR MC section with a low output Dynavector. So you might be on the right track.

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:52 pm »
A friend of mine uses a LOMC (Benz LPS) and is very happy with the results.

Lyon

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm »
Thanks Mick that's great news! I will hunt down the review!

I like the look of the benz micro cartridges dminches, if i could find a dealer that has both DV and benz in stock for demo that would be ideal

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:49 pm »
I had great luck with a Benz Glider on a Linn LP12.

Really musical setup with great boogie factor.

George

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2015, 03:27 pm »
I used a LO Benz Glider (model 2 at that time) with EAR834 a while back and got good sound.  I had them running with a Basis 1400 table and the combo really sucked me into LOMC and I never looked back.  Both performed above their pay grade.  FYI, the SUTs in the EAR834P were decent but were bettered by S&B TX102s that I had converted to a step up.  I used the EAR MM section and used the outboard SUT and got better sound than what I got out of EAR MC (using the tiny, built-in SUTs).  Being the entry level EAR product, I am sure Tim P. had to compromise to a price point.  In fact, there are many articles about relatively simple mods to improve the product.  Tubes make a big difference too and I liked the Telefunkens  the best - both smooth and ribbed plates.

Don't get me wrong. The stock product is good.   :thumb:  But the neurotic audiophile in me is always looking for something better...  :duh:

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2015, 05:27 pm »
Thanks Mick that's great news! I will hunt down the review!

I like the look of the benz micro cartridges dminches, if i could find a dealer that has both DV and benz in stock for demo that would be ideal

Jack

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy the loMC experience. That said, I believe woodsyi's comment pretty summarizes what I'm thinking as well. The onboard step-up in the EAR will get you by nicely, but a good outboard SUT will take things to another level.....still using the EAR MM section of course.

Lyon

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm »
Hi Woodsyi and Mick

Im not very technically minded and im not sure if anyone in the UK is modding the EAR834 but rolling the tubes sounds like a good idea and quite easy to do... it has the stock tubes in at present with the Tim DP monograms. I will check ebay for telefunkens :)

Jack