Auralic Vega DAC

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: Auralic Vega DAC
« Reply #100 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:59 pm »
Guys, something to consider:  If you oversample in jRiver to 352.8/384, you will not hear any differences in choosing different filters in the Vega DAC.  The filters you will be hearing are the ones jRiver uses for the first step of 8x oversampling.  Going up in sample rate from 352.8 to the MHz range at which the Vega passes along the data stream to the ESS Sabre will not produce any audible artifacts at all, as all artifacts will be way beyond the range of your systems ability to reproduce them.
I would also consider this:  Who do you think is using a better digital filter design: jRiver, or the custom filters which Auralic has developed for the Vega?  I would suspect that for redbook files, the Vega minimum phase option would sound better than the standard linear phase, filter jRiver uses.
I would strongly suggest not oversampling in jRiver as a first test, and then, exploring the filter options in the Vega.  One of the things you paid for with the Vega is the custom oversampling engine, it is quite a sophisticated set of filters.  As far as I know, jRiver just uses the standard SoX open source OSF filters, right?

ebag4

« Reply #101 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:09 pm »
I realize this is an old topic, but rather than start a new thread I thought this is likely the thread anyone doing a search will find.

I just picked up a Auralic Vega, it seems to be a great fit for my system.  I am using the SE outs into a itube buffer (using zero gain buffer mode) into my Bottlehead 2a3 amp.  I use a 2011 Mac Mini on battery running Audirvana's latest incarnation.  The sound is great, however I am using a generic USB cable (probably an old external HDD cable), my question is, for any of you that have played with various USB cables, have you seen any audible changes using different cables?  If so, what was your favorite?

Thanks,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #102 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »
I use the DH Labs Mirage.  However, remember that the Vega doesn't use 5Vdc on the bus (good thing).

loving_it

« Reply #103 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »

I Use a Totaldac  USB with great results , along with Cardas XLR to RCA Adapters which also make a diffrence

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #104 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:19 pm »
Plus 1 to the Totaldac. It is really the best USB Cable out there that I have tried, and yes, it works wonders using the Vega.

*Scotty*

« Reply #105 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:43 pm »
The Auralic Vega will easily drive your amps directly without the addition of the iTube buffer in the chain.
Have you tried hooking it up this way yet?
Scotty

ebag4

« Reply #106 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:55 pm »
Thanks guys.  Is the TotalDac cable available in the US?  It appears that it may only be available from the manufacturer.

I Use a Totaldac  USB with great results , along with Cardas XLR to RCA Adapters which also make a diffrence
I have read that the XLR output is better than the SE output, but I am having a difficult time grasping why this would be.  What type of improvements did you notice?  I may give this a shot, if nothing else it will give me a separate set of outputs to drive the servos sub amps.
The Auralic Vega will easily drive your amps directly without the addition of the iTube buffer in the chain.
Have you tried hooking it up this way yet?
Scotty
Yes, I am still comparing.  I just received the Vega a couple of days ago so I am still playing with it to find the best configuration.  Listening now without the buffer and nothing is jumping out as missing.  Simpler the better IMO so I may end up eliminating the iTube.

Occam

« Reply #107 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:07 pm »
I use the DH Labs Mirage.  However, remember that the Vega doesn't use 5Vdc on the bus (good thing).
As do I. The 5 meter model has performs wonderfully with my EAR Acute III, with excellent subjective extension and resolution. In the scheme of things, in the tolerable spectrum from 'Hot' (Audioquest Diamond) to 'Warm' (WireWorld Platinum) the Mirage is on that warmer side of the spectrum.

EDIT: The DH Labs Mirage does provide the USB power connection, not that anyone asserted otherwise.....
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2015, 06:17 pm by Occam »

loving_it

« Reply #108 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:10 pm »
Thanks guys.  Is the TotalDac cable available in the US?  It appears that it may only be available from the manufacturer.I have read that the XLR output is better than the SE output, but I am having a difficult time grasping why this would be.  What type of improvements did you notice?  I may give this a shot, if nothing else it will give me a separate set of outputs to drive the servos sub amps.Yes, I am still comparing.  I just received the Vega a couple of days ago so I am still playing with it to find the best configuration.  Listening now without the buffer and nothing is jumping out as missing.  Simpler the better IMO so I may end up eliminating the iTube.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/100119/Cardas-RCA_output_adapters_for_AURALiC_VEGA-Connectors

The balanced outputs take advantage of Auralic's Orfeo output modules. The RCA outputs run through opamps. You have to order it from the manufacturer but its simple just send an email and get the Pay Pal instructions , took 3 days for mine to get to me

I also run my Vega Through a Tube Preamp to me its sounds better than direct , Im sure everyones case is diffrent so best to try

ebag4

« Reply #109 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:45 pm »
The balanced outputs take advantage of Auralic's Orfeo output modules. The RCA outputs run through opamps.
Thanks, just placed an order for the adapters.

ebag4

« Reply #110 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:02 pm »
So it might be an interesting experiment to take the generic cable I am using and snip the power wires at the computer connector end.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #111 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:20 pm »
Spend the $400 and get the Totaldac USB Cable/Filter. It is leaps and bounds better than the rest. I have tried most of them, and none provide the solidity and inner resolution that this one does. Tell him Paul sent you ;)

The difference is in that instead of this artist being in "that area", they are instead, right fkin there. Remarkable product, really.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #112 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:42 am »
I have a question about the sound of the Vega.  I am looking for a DAC that has a warmer yet very detailed and dynamic character with a lush musical midrange.   It must be fully balanced.  I want to use it with my CD player as a transport and as a gateway for me to get into computer music.  Does the Vega fit the bill?  I like the W4S Dac DSDse as it is ultra dynamic and has razor sharp detail, just not the warmth that I am looking for.  I also like the Hugo Chord as it has every thing that I am looking for except XLR and it is lacking a little detail on its attack.  My amp is a Pass X250 and my pre is a BAT VK-51se.

Thanks,

Larry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #113 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:48 am »
I have a question about the sound of the Vega.  I am looking for a DAC that has a warmer yet very detailed and dynamic character with a lush musical midrange.   It must be fully balanced.  I want to use it with my CD player as a transport and as a gateway for me to get into computer music.  Does the Vega fit the bill?  I like the W4S Dac DSDse as it is ultra dynamic and has razor sharp detail, just not the warmth that I am looking for.  I also like the Hugo Chord as it has every thing that I am looking for except XLR and it is lacking a little detail on its attack.  My amp is a Pass X250 and my pre is a BAT VK-51se.

Thanks,

Larry
I, too, will read the replies with interest.  Any OPPO's fill the bill?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #114 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:24 am »
I realize this is an old topic, but rather than start a new thread I thought this is likely the thread anyone doing a search will find.

I just picked up a Auralic Vega, it seems to be a great fit for my system.  I am using the SE outs into a itube buffer (using zero gain buffer mode) into my Bottlehead 2a3 amp.  I use a 2011 Mac Mini on battery running Audirvana's latest incarnation.  The sound is great, however I am using a generic USB cable (probably an old external HDD cable), my question is, for any of you that have played with various USB cables, have you seen any audible changes using different cables?  If so, what was your favorite?

Thanks,
Ed

Definitely substantial addible differences between USB cables. 

For my Auralic Vega I ended up with an XLO Ultra Plus USB cable which is very transparent, excellent mid-range, and tight bass.  XLO is now back in business so this remarkable USB  cable is now available again.  Think it retails somewhere in the $150 range. 

A good neutral USB cable favored by many to start your experiment is the Wireworld Starlight 7, which retails for $100. 

I happen to also like the Wireworld Platinum USB : lots of high frequency detail and openness, but also very lush.  Really makes digital much more "romantic".  It's pricey at $700 for 1M, but really good, especially for overly bright systems.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #115 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:32 am »

Thanks,

Larry

The Vega DAC is definitely detailed & dynamic with great texture and timbre.  It's also very neutral - so you can easily "flavor" it depending on your cabling (USB / ICs / Power).  A Wireworld Platinum USB cable, e.g., would definitely tilt it to towards the more lush without losing detail - a touch pricey at $700 for 1M for a $3,500 DAC.  Dynamics won't be quite as snappy though with that USB.  You can balance that out though using a neutral to brighter IC and PC.  E.g. a Wireworld Oasis or XLO ultra plus or reference XLR ICs and XLO ultra plus power cord. 

In sum : I think you can get the sound you want out of the Vega, but it'll take some experimenting with cabling.  Work with a good dealer who'll let you demo cables, either local brick & mortar, or something like The Cable Co.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #116 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:33 am »
I, too, will read the replies with interest.  Any OPPO's fill the bill?

A Vega DAC will crush any stock Oppo.....unless maybe you get a hot rodded one from Modwright, etc, at which point you're looking at Vega money.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #117 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:59 am »
Agreed. The Vega is a neutral machine... I don't really agree with making things warmer with cables, as I want them to be neutral also, but to each their own.

Another way you can get some warmth is with the source. FE, using the AES/EBU output of a Server/transport, even the Aries AES/EBU output into the Vega, will provide a natural warmth to the sound.

What sets the Vega apart from any in its price class is its beautiful vocal reproduction and obvious layering of the soundstage. This is one killer DAC at any price.

hi5harry

« Reply #118 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm »
I'm glad to see so many think the Vega is the bomb! I have had some very nice dac's and the Vega just seems a better fit than anything I have tried. I wanted to point out it really responds to better fuses. I think balanced cables out do sound a little better and I REALLY like what the Audio Magic Pulse Gen zx did for it. Obviously, just my opinion.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: 9 Feb 2015, 10:25 pm »
I'm glad to see so many think the Vega is the bomb! I have had some very nice dac's and the Vega just seems a better fit than anything I have tried. I wanted to point out it really responds to better fuses. I think balanced cables out do sound a little better and I REALLY like what the Audio Magic Pulse Gen zx did for it. Obviously, just my opinion.
Now try the ARIES with it!