Used receiver joy

mcgsxr

Used receiver joy
« on: 27 Nov 2014, 08:35 pm »
Recently I swapped out speakers, and when the new ones came, their low sensitivity (mid 80's) and 4 ohm load was taxing the NAD325BEE I had been using.

I sold it last night, and picked up a used Yamaha RX-797.  I had an AX-500U integrated back in the late 80's, and did really mean things to it - ran house parties off it at 2 ohms for hours on end...

The spiritual ancestor of the AS/RS series in play today, the 797 shares much of the underlying tech, though the visuals of the unit are dated.

I found one locally missing the remote, and with a ding on the faceplate for $100.

I figured since I use DAC's with built in volume control, I can survive the lack of the original remote.  I run a 1 source system anyway, so the remote would literally only have been for volume.

The 150wpc this piece puts into 4 ohms is getting it done.

I am also enjoying mild use of the variable loudness control on this receiver.  I know that the purists just barfed a little in their mouths, but I am telling you it just works a treat in my large room with my small stand mount speakers.

Mids are a little recesssed sounding at times.  It ain't the last word in pure audiophile presentation, but it delivers good music. 

A great C&C find.

My system is now within the ~1K guidelines of the circle, though my speakers cost about 80% of it!

2gumby2

Re: Used receiver joy
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:39 am »
I also have a Yamaha RX-797 and agree that it is a very nice receiver.