BDP - advice on fittting internal SSD

Norton

BDP - advice on fittting internal SSD
« on: 21 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm »
Thinking about adding an internal SSD to my BDP-2.

I'm not especially technical (but have at least successfully managed to add  a disk and memory to a barebone pc in the past).
Before I order a SSD, are there any specific physical compatibility issues re. size or connection type I need to know?
Also any make/performance matters I should consider. I'm thinking of adding a 1TB SSD unless there are compelling fit or performance reasons not to .

Thanks     

Samurai7595

Re: BDP - advice on fittting internal SSD
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:07 pm »
You can have a look here for an installation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmafbFKnWWw

Personally, I prefer the Intel brand SSDs.  They cost a little more but I've never had any issues with their drives and Samsung are also very reliable.  A friend of mine had issues with OCZ drives.

For size, they are all 2.5-inch.

Tympani

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:37 pm »
I have had excellent results with a Samsung 1TB SSD Evo840 series. Installation is a "snap" To me, sounds better than when I had the drive in an external enclosure. I have done several re-writes of the drive as my filing system has evolved, and am constantly adding material, via Ethernet connection. No hiccups.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-SATA-Internal-MZ-7TE1T0BW/dp/B00E3W16OU

BrystonFan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2015, 10:53 pm »
What type of writing speeds are u experiencing via Ethernet?

vklyushnikov

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2015, 03:24 pm »
I own Samsung Evo 840 and strongly warn against it. It is known for read performance degradation and problem is still not solved. A new firmware is in the work but it is better to buy other drive. I already went through painful process of removing installed drive back from BDP - and installing it to old laptop - simply to update firmware. And now I have to do it again - because problem is not solved:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9158/new-samsung-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-fix-coming-later-this-month

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2015, 08:07 pm »
Just to add on to that (which you can get from reading the article at AnandTech.com), the issue is the TLC NAND memory the 840 EVO uses. After an extended period of time, the charge on the memory decreases, which causes the drive to repeatedly try and "recover" the data. The data isn't lost, it just slows read times. It's probably not a speed decrease you'd ever notice on your BDP-2, but the instability in general concerns me personally.

The "fix" that Samsung is coming up with occasionally rewrites memory cells to maintain the proper charge.

If you are considering a SSD drive, I'd consider one that does not use TLC NAND, such as the Samsung 850 EVO or Pro.

Norton

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2015, 09:01 pm »
Many thanks, so basically if it's a 2.5" Sata drive it will fit and certain Samsung models are best avoided?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2015, 10:14 pm »
Yes. The TLC NAND was used on the 840 EVO series. The 840 Pro and more recent 850 series uses a new type of memory and should not have a  repeat of this particular issue.

I'm using two 840 EVO drives in computers and haven't lost one bit of data. While this development with the Samsung drives is a bit disappointing, I'd have no concerns purchasing their newer drives. If you'd like to avoid Samsung, you might consider Crucial or OCZ.

Norton

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2015, 10:01 pm »
Just occurred to me, do I have to format a new drive before installing in the BDP?
If so, am I correct in thinking that there are Sata to USB cables so I can format via my PC?

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 12:08 am »
Just occurred to me, do I have to format a new drive before installing in the BDP?
If so, am I correct in thinking that there are Sata to USB cables so I can format via my PC?

Thanks

The software (S2.12) has the ability to format the drive and add some extra files to prevent the BDP from accidentally booting off of it.

Cheers,
Chris

Norton

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2015, 05:52 pm »
Many thanks once again Chris.

Norton

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2015, 06:32 pm »
The software (S2.12) has the ability to format the drive and add some extra files to prevent the BDP from accidentally booting off of it.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

How do I do this?  I took the opportunity of fitting a SSD at the same time as the new IAD. 

Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:26 am »
In the BDP's settings is Disk Information, after it done loading all drives and partitions on those drives attached to the BDP should be listed in the column on the left.  Select the drive, then erase, then select a file system, enter a name for the partition and finally click "Simple Partition".  Once done either restart the Samba service or restart the BDP and your SSD should be available by way of a network share hosted by the BDP.

Cheers,
Chris

mv

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2015, 09:08 am »
Yes. The TLC NAND was used on the 840 EVO series. The 840 Pro and more recent 850 series uses a new type of memory and should not have a  repeat of this particular issue.

I'm using two 840 EVO drives in computers and haven't lost one bit of data. While this development with the Samsung drives is a bit disappointing, I'd have no concerns purchasing their newer drives. If you'd like to avoid Samsung, you might consider Crucial or OCZ.

I have an 840 EVO that I have never used.

Do I need to update its firmware before installing it in a BDP-2, and how?

For those who have used it: did you experience a slowdown in the performance and when?

Norton

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:42 pm »
In the BDP's settings is Disk Information, after it done loading all drives and partitions on those drives attached to the BDP should be listed in the column on the left.  Select the drive, then erase, then select a file system, enter a name for the partition and finally click "Simple Partition".  Once done either restart the Samba service or restart the BDP and your SSD should be available by way of a network share hosted by the BDP.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris,  all working fine.  Now, how about adding the BBC HLS streams to BRadio in time to get the  BBC Radio 3 HD feed from the Proms?

David

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:57 am »
I have an 840 EVO that I have never used.

Do I need to update its firmware before installing it in a BDP-2, and how?

For those who have used it: did you experience a slowdown in the performance and when?

I'm running some 840 EVO drives... is yours the 840, 840 pro, or 840 evo?

Once you have that figured out! I'd plug it in to your computer and use samsung's downloadable utility to update the firmware before installing.

If you need some help,  let me know and see what I can do,.

- Garrett