Open Baffle Vintage Bass Drivers

SteveRB

Open Baffle Vintage Bass Drivers
« on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:56 pm »
Hello,

I've been using a few different vintage full-range drivers, and I have really been enjoying the quality of music. They are mounted on a baffle with a single Eminence Alpha 15a for low end support.

My question now is: what makes a good vintage bass driver for open baffle? I was told before that any large driver that was designed for a sealed cab is a good start... what other qualities should I be looking for (especially when T/S values are not given)?

Æ

Re: Open Baffle Vintage Bass Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm »
Hello,

I've been using a few different vintage full-range drivers, and I have really been enjoying the quality of music. They are mounted on a baffle with a single Eminence Alpha 15a for low end support.

My question now is: what makes a good vintage bass driver for open baffle? I was told before that any large driver that was designed for a sealed cab is a good start... what other qualities should I be looking for (especially when T/S values are not given)?

Obviously, a driver that sounds good. Your ears will tell you a lot if the have the opportunity to audition the driver before purchasing it. Otherwise be willing to accept the recommendations of informed/experienced listeners. Specs don't mean diddle, not if the driver sounds lousy.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:53 pm »
I am very open to informed/experienced recommendations.

myaudioking

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2011, 08:29 am »
I am very open to informed/experienced recommendations.

hi i have played with a few 15" vintage drivers...my recommendations are

this pair of alnico magnet woofers with pleated cloth surround - Free Air Resonance = 20 hz
1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-vintage-1960s-Magnavox-15-Woofers-and-4-horn-tweeters-speakers-8-ohm-NICE-/250918300733?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a6be56c3d

this pair of ceramic woofer with ribbed paper surround - Free Air Resonance = 30 hz (look for alnico type, easier to drive)
2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-15-LF-Bass-Drivers-Woofers-matching-pair-Vintage-/130492600929?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e61f71261

this single 15" woofers with cloth surround - Free Air Resonance = 16 hz. (made for Altec Disco Speakers with the 806A horn drivers. Cabinets uses  1 pair of 16 ohms parallel for 8 ohms)
3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Utah-15-woofer-Seeburg-Disco-Alnico-Restored-/130588970311?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e67b58d47

Personally, i'm using the 20hz woofers, but my favorite is the ribbed woofer. Bass line is clearer...have not got a chance to use the Utah 15" yet...current set up is atlas sound HR-3 horn, atlas sound PV4 midrange horn and the 20 hz 15" woofer with KLIPSCH type B crossover on Open Baffle....The Bass generated is good enough for me  :lol:

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:53 pm »
Thanks for the great reply.

I am looking for a pair of drivers to match to the collection of alnico full range and coax drivers I am accumulating. My favourite pair so far have are listed at a sensitivity 102 dB/W. Needless to say, they need a low end that is very easy to drive.

I'm interested in trying the older alnico woofers but I have always wondered about build quality. Altecs are built like tanks but are a little over priced for me. Are the Magnavox 15" alnico speakers a good value?

Is alnico my only option for matching to the vintage full rangers I'm running?

What about 18" drivers?

I have a ton of questions, but there seems to be very little direction on choosing low frequency drivers.

myaudioking

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2011, 09:32 am »

I am looking for a pair of drivers to match to the collection of alnico full range and coax drivers I am accumulating. My favourite pair so far have are listed at a sensitivity 102 dB/W. Needless to say, they need a low end that is very easy to drive.

The woofers mentioned are at least over 100 db...

I'm interested in trying the older alnico woofers but I have always wondered about build quality. Altecs are built like tanks but are a little over priced for me. Are the Magnavox 15" alnico speakers a good value?

Yes, the magnavox are fine, CTS is also a good brand to look out for (alnico type)

They would match well, my only concern is the crossover setting..

What about 18" drivers?
depending on your room size but i think it might be overkill :). My current room size is 5 x 7m which a pair of 15" woofer fill the room with adequate bass...i'm playing open baffle. If you put the woofers in a box. It will increase the bass output but you wont get the open sound without any boxiness..here's a link to let you know what i mean about open sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHeyPJS00Fc

I have a ton of questions, but there seems to be very little direction on choosing low frequency drivers.

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2011, 05:59 pm »

What about 18" drivers?

Why is it you are so dead set on using vintage drivers? Newer technology is (in my opinion) better.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2011, 06:53 pm »
I'm not fully set on vintage drivers; I am open to other technology.

I have, however, had great results with vintage full rangers that I have not gotten through modern speakers: largely due to cost restrictions.

Vintage drivers can provide a lower cost option for higher quality (too a point). As well, I do enjoy the pursuit of finding 'the right' vintage components for a project. This is a just a hobby for me.

I am also not trying to build the perfect speaker that will last forever... I enjoy trying different drivers just for the fun of it. Again, vintage drivers provide a lower cost point for owning multiple drivers.

All that being said, some of them are really dogs, and I am open to other people's  opinions and previous experiences to avoid chasing my tail.

Æ

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2011, 07:20 pm »
I'm not fully set on vintage drivers; I am open to other technology.

Instead of using one LARGE woofer, have you considered using multiple smaller woofers or multiple small full range instead?

Messing around is fun, but eventually it all adds up. At one point I had maybe 70 assorted drivers in my garage. I still have at least 50, maybe more. I don't really know because I haven't taken inventory for a while.

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2011, 07:30 pm »
I'm working with a local speaker designer/tech right now. He's going to lend me 10" sub driver to try for a bit.

My goal right now is to have a good baffle with a 'set' bass section that will allow me to swap in different full range drivers for experimentation.