hooked on ob sound... what to build first?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: hooked on ob sound... what to build first?
« Reply #60 on: 10 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm »
You are going to struggle mating those two drivers, the Tymphany is not efficient enough. Buy the Fostex FF85WK it is just right for the Alpha 15A.
Hi,
I heard to say the Tone Tubby 12 is great to OB two way and FR in a Bass Reflex.
Do you already listen it in OB or as BR FR?
The 16 ohms have a especially beautiful hi freq roll off.
http://www.tonetubby.com/red-black-alnico.html

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #61 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:02 am »
Hi,
I heard to say the Tone Tubby 12 is great to OB two way and FR in a Bass Reflex.
Do you already listen it in OB or as BR FR?
The 16 ohms have a especially beautiful hi freq roll off.

I don't think the Tone Tubby will produce much bass in an OB. With a low crossover frequency the hi frequency roll-off is not important. I would not even bother trying this driver.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #62 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:05 am »
I don't think the Tone Tubby will produce much bass in an OB. With a low crossover frequency the hi frequency roll-off is not important. I would not even bother trying this driver.
It have any chance as FR bassreflex? Its Alnico and Hemp;

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #63 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:09 am »
It have any chance as FR bassreflex? Its Alnico and Hemp;

I doubt it, I think it is meant to be a guitar speaker not a home hi-fi speaker.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:17 am »
I doubt it, I think it is meant to be a guitar speaker not a home hi-fi speaker.
Well if you think its bad I wont try.
Thanks, you save me $300.  :thumb:

wendelltate

« Reply #65 on: 11 Apr 2015, 02:50 pm »
I don't see why not, people are having a lot of luck with those eminence 15"s Alpha's in simple flat OB speaker set ups.
Go 24" x 24" baffle on the lower woofer, it should sound good.
I was thinking about this design with the 12" coax and the compression driver again.  Eminence makes a crossover designed to mate the 12" and the compression driver together.  How would one cross the 15" and the 12" though.  There is a fair amount of the spectrum where they overlap.  The 12" runs from 57-4.6 and the 15" runs from 46 up to 3.5.  Or would you just let them both run free and natural? 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #66 on: 11 Apr 2015, 08:17 pm »
I was thinking about this design with the 12" coax and the compression driver again.  Eminence makes a crossover designed to mate the 12" and the compression driver together.  How would one cross the 15" and the 12" though.  There is a fair amount of the spectrum where they overlap.  The 12" runs from 57-4.6 and the 15" runs from 46 up to 3.5.  Or would you just let them both run free and natural?

You could run it that way,  or run the 15" with a low pass filter at 200hz. Set up the 12"/compression driver as recommended by Eminence.  That's what I would do with that set up. But, there is no perfect OB speaker. If that's what you are seeking.  You just start somewhere and see how far you can go.. Opinions are endless, some good some, not so good. But, all have their virtues. And there is no one who builds their first, open baffle, speaker perfect, the first time "out the gate". So be patient.

Good luck.

wendelltate

« Reply #67 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:03 pm »
You could run it that way,  or run the 15" with a low pass filter at 200hz. Set up the 12"/compression driver as recommended by Eminence.  That's what I would do with that set up. But, there is no perfect OB speaker. If that's what you are seeking.  You just start somewhere and see how far you can go.. Opinions are endless, some good some, not so good. But, all have their virtues. And there is no one who builds their first, open baffle, speaker perfect, the first time "out the gate". So be patient.

Good luck.

That is almost exactly what I was thinking, around 200hz.  I think that I am going to give this a try as a starting position.
I understand that there will be some experimentation with this but that is half the fun, right?  I have my eyes open for a Behringer DSP as well.

wendelltate

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:43 pm »
Hi.  I have another question before I start down this road.  I am wondering how the wiring of all this will connect...

I am going to use two Alpha 15s on the bottom of each.  These 15s will have an inductor in front of them. 

I was planning on using the Eminence crossover to connect the compression driver to the 10" or 12" coax Eminence driver (I haven't decided on 10 or 12" yet.)  This is the crossover that Eminence recommends to mate the compression driver to the coax.  It had the input connectors and then output to the coax and the compression tweeter.  I get this.   http://www.eminence.com/speakers/crossover-detail/?model=PXB2800

So how will all of this flow?  I am assuming that I will just take the positive and negative from each speaker wire and split them to the woofer and the coax crossover?

matevana

« Reply #69 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:28 pm »

I have experimented with several hemp based guitar drivers I have on hand, but only as *Midrange* drivers. They are generally efficient and work well in OB with a few caveats. The first is a complete lack of xMax, often  less than 1 mm. For this reason they must be low passed or damage will likely result. They should never be used as bass drivers. The hemp cone produces a smooth sound with a very natural roll-off. But they also have a voicing (that many guitarists love) that can be described as dark. This is a natural byproduct of a heavy, overly damped, cone material. Lynn Olsen tested the Tone Tubby and liked many of its properties. I have tried two of the hemp based Eminence guitar speakers and liked them as well.

brad944911

« Reply #70 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:38 pm »
Wendell...will the 15's have their own amp?  If not, you'll need it or a very good high current amp to run all this.  If you really wanna go this route, look over the Eminence website.  They have a write up about using these speakers for a HT setup http://www.eminence.com/2012/10/great-uses-for-coaxial-products/.  Their engineers ended up modding the crossover, but didn't say how.  Something else to consider and something I found out first hand; a 10" midrange will beam like crazy in the midrange...about 1300Hz on mine.  It was disgusting!  You'll likely need a notch filter/pre amp eq or something in the end.  If you wanna stay passive, I'd stick with MJK's suggestion, trust me.  Or maybe look at Hawthorne Audio drivers and use their crossover.  They build their systems around Eminence drivers built to their specs and you can build the baffle however you want.  No matter what route you choose, best of luck man and enjoy the journey!

wendelltate

« Reply #71 on: 16 Apr 2015, 04:33 pm »
Thanks Brad.  I was thinking about this yesterday and figured there had to be some shout with that coax.  I ordered the 15a pair and just to get started I ordered a pair of Dayton 8" waveguides.  I already have a pair of Selenium 220i compression drivers.  I figured that I could start with this two way crossed around 800 or so.  I will go from there. 
I was going to power this with a MAC 1900 receiver which is 55watts per channel.  I hope that this is enough to see how it all works...

wendelltate

« Reply #72 on: 18 Apr 2015, 01:44 pm »
Wendell...will the 15's have their own amp?  If not, you'll need it or a very good high current amp to run all this.  If you really wanna go this route, look over the Eminence website.  They have a write up about using these speakers for a HT setup http://www.eminence.com/2012/10/great-uses-for-coaxial-products/.  Their engineers ended up modding the crossover, but didn't say how.  Something else to consider and something I found out first hand; a 10" midrange will beam like crazy in the midrange...about 1300Hz on mine.  It was disgusting!  You'll likely need a notch filter/pre amp eq or something in the end.  If you wanna stay passive, I'd stick with MJK's suggestion, trust me.  Or maybe look at Hawthorne Audio drivers and use their crossover.  They build their systems around Eminence drivers built to their specs and you can build the baffle however you want.  No matter what route you choose, best of luck man and enjoy the journey!
If I were going use a separate amp for the 15's, how would that even connect?  I do have a great Rotel mid 80's SS integrated that offers around 75 watts per channel. It is a beast with each channel having its own transformer and everything.  I think it is a RA1212...Anyway, I have used it before as an amp just using the pre-outs... Could I use this for the 15's and then use the amp portion of my MAC1900 for the mid/hi configuration?  If so, how would this be wired up from a CD player to the Rotel then to the MAC?
Thanks

brad944911

« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2015, 07:59 pm »
Wendell,
  I missed it, but are you talking about the old McIntosh MAC-1900?  If so, simple enough...use some good quality RCA splitters to split the signal out of the "preamp out" connections and send one pair of L-R RCA's to the "amp in" on the MAC and the other L-R RCA's to the Rotel.  In order to cross the speakers over correctly, you can either use caps/coils on the speakers or use an "F-mod" inline crossover on each set of input RCA's.  Another option is an active crossover...I've even seen folks on here using ones designed for car audio.  All this is up to your tastes, how thick your skin is to opinion and budget. 
I hope this helps. 
Brad

wendelltate

« Reply #74 on: 23 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Thanks Brad,
Thanks for the guidance. This is going to be fun (I think). Here is what i have started with. I had the baffles cut at 22w by 34h. I put the two 15a's in today with an 8 inch waveguide and the selenium 220i compression drivers. Since the 15a's are going to need many hours to loosen up i did not start out with any crossover. They are just running free. I am going to run sound through them over the weekend and then being to tweak the crossovers.
I will say right off the batt today the soundstage was pretty seemless. We shall see.  I will post some pics tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2015, 02:26 am by wendelltate »

wendelltate

« Reply #75 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:24 am »
Here are a couple of pics. This is going to be fun.