Does PC (or MAC) quality/setup impact sound of microRendu?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
While waiting for my new microRendu to arrive, are there things I should do to the PC to make the whole rig sound better with mRendu installed, or is that just not an issue? 

firedog

Re: Does PC (or MAC) quality/setup impact sound of microRendu?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:58 am »
IME, one of the reasons to use the mR (or something like it) is to eliminate noise from the server PC as a factor in your USB playback. The mR makes server tweaks unnecessary, or almost unnecessary. I've tried using different PS etc on my server with the mR in line, and haven't noticed any difference in SQ. Before using a "2 PC" solution, I did hear a difference when using a superior PS on the server.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2016, 07:23 am by firedog »

yyz

Re: Does PC (or MAC) quality/setup impact sound of microRendu?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2016, 05:46 am »
IME, one of the reasons to use the mR (or something like it) is to eliminate noise from the server PC as a factor in your USB playback. The mR makes server tweaks unnecessary, or almost unnecessary. I've tried using different PS etc on my server with the mR in line, and haven't noticed any difference in SQ.

I have to agree with you on this one. I went from a clean Windows 2012 R2 Server running JRiver, then Roon to a noisy Windows 10 consumer machine running Roon. I did not notice any difference between the 2 OS's when I switched to Win10 with the microRendu. I am extremely impressed by this little device. It has been rock solid in terms of reliability. It also sounds like it is not there. I am glad I waited and did not buy a dedicated audiophile music server. I always wanted to use a PC/MAC for my music server. So much more versatility with a regular computer. I am using a long Ethernet wire for my connection with the mircoRendu (snaked it under the house and then though a wall).

I even put my Windows machine to sleep automatically (I  also kill Roon then). I automatically wake up the PC at 7AM and then startup Roon. I use my cell phone's Roon app (usually in bed) to startup some morning tunes. Exactly the user interface I have been wishing to have with a extremely satisfying sound quality. The fact that the mircoRendu is so reliable makes this whole workflow possible.