My First Topic-What to Do

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm »
Hi Daniel,

Yes but Activated really does not mean anything as you're still using a single amp and a passive crossover.
I think PMC coined the phase 'activated' just to indicate the amp was attached rather than on the floor?

james
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 09:42 pm by James Tanner »

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #61 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:59 pm »
Hi James,
I know that activated is not exactly active speakers as there is no active crossover and the amplifier still amplifies the whole frequency band not a part of itlike in AML1 and MB2-A.
Daniel

Mad Mr H

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:08 pm »
I have the Pioneer 09fd for a blue ray player so I won't need video processing.

I can save to get the sp3 but when the 5.1 format marches on at some point it has to be tossed out.So I guess I find it difficult to see myself getting rid of a perfectly fine 2 channel side to the SP3.

Hi,

Let me try and help you a little here.

In the last couple of years the "Digital revolution" has taken massive leaps forwards, BUT along the way has left many of us with kit that has been out dated within months  :icon_surprised: .

The war between HD DVD vs Blu Ray is over (Sadly!). So we accept that the future is Blu Ray. The Blu Ray final format is almost there!!! The HD connection "HDMI" has now gone through many changes.

At some point we must draw a line and decide that "this is it" for me, and stick with the main system you have with the occasional addition of a cable here and there........

I would love a 7ch system but just dont have the room.

For you I understand the fear of getting a cinema processor and then the worry that in a year it will need to be replaced.

I really DONT think that is the case.

James has an excellent solution with his dual use single room system.

I bought my current Onkyo 886 cinema pre amp (only) as a cheap fill in.......
Its still got great reviews, and excellent value for money.

I do think your FIRST aim should be to work out if you are going to keep ALL you have already or sell some, IF you sell then you have a larger budget for the pre/pro options......

How "SMALL" is the room you are moving into?
Are you sure there is not room for the full 5ch system you have bought?
Is some of this a panic that you have done the right thing so far?

It might help if you list all the items you are considering in groups of each system,

List what you need to buy and what is spare for each option. AFTER you have done that look at the value you have available for the project.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but another opinion from a different angle often highlights items that had not been considered.

(I design systems for people based on what they currently have, what they really want, and what in reality they can afford. I try and design systems that are a building block towards what the next stage could be.........My work is mainly commercial)

Mad Mr H

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:18 pm »
Sorry for the miss information on the IB1s-A and IB2s-A  :duh:

My fault for looking it up quickly !!!

You could always take an IB2 and make it active  :icon_twisted:

Like others say - A thread for Active vs Passive is a good idea.........

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:24 pm »
Hi,
when the first 5.1 systems brought to life I started to calculate how many movies I have to watch to pay the cost of home cinema and gave up. I dicide to stay 2 ch. as long as I could. Now I paid for 2 ch.five times more than my first calculation for home cinema. Funny isn`t it. But this I found Bryston and PMC and I don`t regrate for a moment at my decision.
Occasionally I have a chance to audition other systems than mine and I honestly can say I don`t like other sound than the sound produced by Bryston/PMC combo.
Daniel

1oldguy

« Reply #65 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:14 am »
You have all given me much help .........Thank you all Guys.
Sincerely ......I just need to mull over in the coming days just what is best.
Will be moving on sat ..Not sure as to when I will have internet back.
Again Thank you all.
Brandon

1oldguy

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:07 pm »
Hi James

I feel that the SP3 is still the best route in the long run.While having two systems in the one room is not the best for my situation.
So SP3 here I come.

P.S .........I did mention to Dave B that you just may have an older unit kicking around.So if you are still able to help me out we could do it through them and I'd sign for it kind of thing.I figured i'd mention it to Dave so he be aware of it, if you do find something around the factory.

Again ...Thank you for helping an Old Guy out. :green:
P.S ...Will be moving this Sat.So Anytime after that is good,lord willing. :D

Mad Mr H

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:32 pm »
Hi,

Like your new Avatar.

Is the SP3 available ??? The Bryston site only seems to have the SP2.

Old Guy - I think you re doingthe right thing with an SP3 (or similar) unit with your system.

Looking forward to hear how much you can fit in the new room, and which way you go.....There are always options.

Andy.

1oldguy

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jun 2009, 05:45 pm »
I would think that it will be at least 8 months before the SP3 hits the streets if not longer but it will be worth the wait.I've been saving towards this goal for 4 years so the home stretch is in sight.I will go for the Video-Less version and let the Pioneer 09fd take care of the video end of things.My gut instinct tells me the SP3 really is the way to go.Having you all have an input helped me to realize that.Hopefully if  the stars align James may find a loaner of some sort. :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #69 on: 25 Jun 2009, 11:17 pm »
EDIT - SRB posted whilst I was typing..........

Hi VegasDave,

This is info on Passive & Active Bi Wire & Bi Amping - Not 100% to do with the original post, But I hope of use....

1. The "standard" domestic style speaker will have an internal cross over.
Lets consider a "2 way" system, that has Bass and a High Frequency (HF) driver in one cabinet.
This will usually have one cable from one amplifier channel that drives the entire speaker.
This is the most basic and common speaker type. Known as a Single wire Passive 2 way speaker.

2. The next logical step is to "Bi Wire" the same passive 2 way speaker.
Still using one amp channel two sets of wires are run to the speaker.
One for the HF and one for the bass - This requires the speaker to have FOUR terminals on it designed for "Bi Wire" application, You usually have a link wire or link bar between terminals that needs to be removed for "Bi Wire" use.
The advantage of this over option 1. is the reduction of resistance in the speaker cable. It can also be a step between 1. and 3. as he cable can be adapted fo the next step.

3. The next logical step is to "Bi Amp" the same passive 2 way speaker. This requires two amplifier channels per speaker, One to drive the HF and one for the BASS. The signal from the preamp is split and sent to both amp channels, The link wire/bar is removed from the rear of the speaker, One speaker cable from each amp to either the HF or Bass connection. This type of Bi Amping still uses the internal cross over of the speaker. The advantage is that the amp driving the HF does not have the demand of the bass. This is know as a "Bi Amping a passive speaker"

4. The final option is "Active 2 way Bi Amp" system. This requires an active cross over (Bryston 10B). This is placed in the signal path after the preamp but prior to the amplifiers, This Active cross over now splits the full range signal and sends specific frequencies on to each amplifier. Bass to the Bass amp, HF to the HF amp.
This now means each amp is more efficient and dedicated to specific frequencies.
Each amp is then wired to the specific bass/HF driver of the speaker. The speaker for thisapplication should be an "Active speaker" . An Active speaker has no internal cross over. Fully active systems are usually found in commercial applications where the advantage of a high Sound Pressure Level (SPL) is required. There is still an audio advantage in a fully active system. The removal of the speaker cross over allows a more linear response (frequecy vs Impedance) from the driver and more efficient use of power from the amps

Note 1: The active cross over mentioned in point 4. can have additional controls crossover point, slope, gain, polarity - Thats another topic.

Note 2: ALL Bryston amps have the same gain structure so in a Passive 2 (3,4,5...) way system ANY amp could be used for any "way" of the speaker. The more powerful amplifiers are usually used for the Bass.

PLEASE NOTE : Typed in a hurry! So I will need to go back over and check this reads correctly. I also have some pictures which I will add for clarity. I will put this in its own thread over the weekend asthis may be of use to others, I always meant to do this on other forums I am member/moderator.

All the best,

Andy.

Thanks Andy, that was helpful!

1oldguy

« Reply #70 on: 27 Jun 2009, 10:48 am »
Hi James

Will the move is in a few hours.........But like the Govenator  would say..."I'll be back".
See you all soon. :thumb:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #71 on: 2 Jul 2009, 04:27 pm »
Any news.......

Have you moved in yet?

Have you moved in and spent the last few days with your new audio system? Dont forget to eat !!!

Waiting to hear if you have been able to shoe horn the entire system into your new space.......

Cant wait to hear from you......

Shout if you need any help in the wire up, Loads o people here to help you.....

Andy.

1oldguy

« Reply #72 on: 8 Jul 2009, 06:21 pm »
Thanks Andy

I just got my internet back up.My speakers and amps will be delivered on Friday.
I did try the cd player on my crap system and I can hear an improvement,so I can only imagine whats it will be like once im up and running.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 8 Jul 2009, 06:43 pm »
Thanks Andy

I just got my internet back up.My speakers and amps will be delivered on Friday.
I did try the cd player on my crap system and I can hear an improvement,so I can only imagine whats it will be like once im up and running.

Welcome back!

james

Mad Mr H

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jul 2009, 09:19 am »
Long weekend for you then  :D .

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2009, 05:25 am »
Thanks Andy

Sounds good. I can only imagine how fantastic it's gonna be.

1oldguy

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:35 pm »
Well folks I just had my gear delivered.I did open one of the Boxes.I love the look.It's a no frills serious looking amp that's for sure.
I know some people may dig the pretty or fancy type of audio product but I like the brute force/sleek vibe of Bryston.
James......If you do find an old beater to get me through to the SP3 hits the streets I am right here. :thumb:

Fido2

« Reply #77 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:30 pm »
Quick question please..
 I am using 802D speakers with a single 14B SST. If I were to do a horizontal bi-amp and move the 14B to LF duty only and then add a 4B SST for the HF/Mids how much of an improvement in sound would  I realize? Would this be a good match, ie would I have plenty of power/headroom?

TIA

Mad Mr H

« Reply #78 on: 11 Jul 2009, 06:06 pm »
14/4 SST horizontal passive bi amp  :thumb:

Perfect match.......

And very similar to PMC BB5 use........ So yes tere are many system that run this amp line up

werd

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jul 2009, 09:43 pm »
Quick question please..
 I am using 802D speakers with a single 14B SST. If I were to do a horizontal bi-amp and move the 14B to LF duty only and then add a 4B SST for the HF/Mids how much of an improvement in sound would  I realize? Would this be a good match, ie would I have plenty of power/headroom?

TIA

Sounds wicked!! but i would consider adding the Torus rm-20 (or bigger) first to the 14B, before the 4B/14B biamp config.