Limited edition new NX-Otica and NX-Treme models coming soon too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Those automotive urethanes (I'm assuming) are really spendy aren't they Jay? They do look really good though, I'm anxious to see all fitted out.

So who gets this pair?

I'll say they are spendy. I don't know what Jay's cost but when I got a quote for the Wedgie and 3 x 8" wedge base they wanted $1,200 for a two part finish and $1,500 for a three part (pearl or candy type).

Mike

Captainhemo

Thanks guys,  hope they look as good in person. Picking up tomorrow hopefully

So who gets this pair?

:scratch: :thumb:

ctviggen

I'll say they are spendy. I don't know what Jay's cost but when I got a quote for the Wedgie and 3 x 8" wedge base they wanted $1,200 for a two part finish and $1,500 for a three part (pearl or candy type).

Mike

That's insane!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE

Mike

That makes the Super V's Ruben built and painted to perfection an absolute steel.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
That's insane!

And I'll bet at least 40% of that was for materials. Last I bought, a gallon of 2K primer was around $150. Clear was about same. Base coat was around $70 per pint. Then there's specific catalysts, reducers etc. not to mention pearls or other fun. It really adds up quick. It's actually part of what makes auto body work expensive.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
That's insane!

I thought so too so I bought an HVLP system and sprayed them myself. After having done so I came to the realization that the price wasn't as insane as it originally sounded.

Closed box speakers are pretty easy to sand and the inside doesn't matter at all. The Wedgies and Wedge bass cabinets are a different story. Since they are open, everything is visible so everything has to be sanded and sealed. Also, the Wedgies have small parts where the underside and inside angles are just as important as the large flat areas and outside corners.

Bottom line, there is an awful lot of work involved in painting the Wedgies if you want that ultra smooth high gloss mirror finish. Add the cost of automotive finishes and, while still high, the cost no longer seems quite so insane.

Mike

Folsom

If the finish is well done those prices seem fine to me. Expensive material, respectable $90/hr shop time. 

ctviggen

And I'll bet at least 40% of that was for materials. Last I bought, a gallon of 2K primer was around $150. Clear was about same. Base coat was around $70 per pint. Then there's specific catalysts, reducers etc. not to mention pearls or other fun. It really adds up quick. It's actually part of what makes auto body work expensive.

I don't doubt that.  I have a friend who restores cars, and he's always said that painting is very expensive, and he does his own work.   For me, though, the cool factor of this type of paint doesn't outweigh the cost for speakers.  I'd rather take that money, put it into a cheaper finish for the speakers and an amp.  You can buy a pretty nice amp, used in particular, for that amount of money.  Since these speakers are DIY primarily, it seems odd to save money by doing work yourself, then spend a ton on speaker finishes.  But that's me.

Captainhemo

I don't doubt that.  I have a friend who restores cars, and he's always said that painting is very expensive, and he does his own work.   For me, though, the cool factor of this type of paint doesn't outweigh the cost for speakers.  I'd rather take that money, put it into a cheaper finish for the speakers and an amp.  You can buy a pretty nice amp, used in particular, for that amount of money.  Since these speakers are DIY primarily, it seems odd to save money by doing work yourself, then spend a ton on speaker finishes.  But that's me.
I hear  you.. I've done the DIY route numerous times and have had  very good results.
We wanted to make this pair  stand out, we have some perspective clients that want to see a high quality, automotive finish and after sitting down with this painter, we felt this was the way to go. We were also looking for a painter we could work with in the futre and hopefully have found him..... this afternoon will tell

jay

lowtech

Those are cool speakers, but they have zero wife acceptance factor.  Even I'm having a hard time justifying them.  I do like Linkwitz, though.  He's very scientific.

My wife loves the look of mine.  :D

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm by lowtech »

Folsom

If saving money is the goal, then DIY. The price is you might have to learn something  8) .

Philistine

My wife loves the look of mine.  :D

Maybe there's a resemblance.... :D

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
There are many different types and levels of finishes. Different people have different preferences, needs, desires, limitations, etc. The simplest finish is no finish at all just raw wood. From there the sky's the limit.

If you want a finish that is within your skill set and level of ability then you can still DIY it and save a lot of money. For example, the Santos Rosewood (Pau Ferro) veneer with a French Polish finish to the depth and luster of lacquer (think high end classical guitar) on my N3TL's only cost me a little over $400 in material. Of course there was also the 2-1/2 months of elbow grease nights and weekends to apply the approximately 500 coats of finish.  If I paid somebody to do that it would have cost me about $2,800 ($800 for the veneer and $2,000 for the French Polish). 

Could I have done it cheaper? Sure, there are lots of nice wood veneers for a lot less than $400/sheet but I wanted to have an heirloom quality piece of furniture my wife would love (she picked out the veneer) as well as a fantastic sounding pair of speakers.

However, a piano gloss finish with automotive paints is beyond my abilities. If I want that, I'm going to have to pay somebody else to do it.

Mike

lowtech

Maybe there's a resemblance.... :D

That makes little sense, but insulting nonetheless.  Perhaps my wife just happens to be more caring and tolerant of my audio hobby than yours?  Fortunate for me or unfortunate to you, depending on your perspective.  :)

Captainhemo

Here are some pics of the  painted cabinets, finding the  color really doesn't come through on the computer and it really changes under different light and angles as we expected

An  M165NQ being held in place (under flourescent lighting)

These are under more natural, halogen 

This one shows the glass like finish the painter  achieved, the paint rep stopped by the guys shop and was  impressed :thumb:

Exellent results this time using the painter. Taking the time to explain expectations and issues we had with Don's subs was worth it.  Will be working with  this guy  more, he's taken an interest  and wants to provide a  great finish.

We may load up a set of drivers  and grab a few more pics ....

jay
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2016, 08:08 am by Captainhemo »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Those look fantastic Jay, bet you can't wait to get  them together. I used a very similar color on a pair of Xls speakers I haven't ever finished.

Can't wait to see those cabinets populated :thumb:

Greg

Captainhemo

Those look fantastic Jay, bet you can't wait to get  them together. I used a very similar color on a pair of Xls speakers I haven't ever finished.

Can't wait to see those cabinets populated :thumb:

Greg

Yes, looking forward to it .

Those little  X LS  (Encores ? ) will  really surprise you , they are  amazing especailly considering their price point

jay

Captainhemo

A couple  more pics

The flash really screws  the color up... if any of you have seen the  NQ drivers it will give you an idea  of just how much  it's skewed in this pic

jay
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2016, 07:39 am by Captainhemo »

jzexport

I took the liberty to try and remove the colorcast. Hopefully, these are more true.

SteveKi

jay

Jay,
Wow... they came out beautiful.
Steve