House Sound: Magnepan 3.7 vs Martin Logan Montis

jaylevine

House Sound: Magnepan 3.7 vs Martin Logan Montis
« on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:39 pm »
Hi,

After one year with a 3-way traditional (box) speaker, I'm seriously missing the sonic characteristics of a planar.

I sold my Magnepan 3.7s in 2013 to accommodate my marriage; we moved into a new place, my wife hated the way the 3.7s took over the room visually, and to be fair to her, the 3.7s didn't really fit into the new space. So as much as I'd love to there is no going back to Magnepans.

On a purely visual and footprint basis, a set of Martin Logan Montis would work well in my space. Problem is I've never heard them and would have to travel a couple of hundred miles to audition the Montis, While I did get to audition a set of ML Ethos a while back, I wasn't really very happy with the sound (super sharp detail, right on the verge of too sharp at the upper ranges -- I suspect it was the source material as much as anything and  it was not a very critical test).

I was wondering:

1. Are there members who have a owned both Maggies and MLs that are willing to share their thoughts on how they compare?
2. Are there other electrocstatic products that represent a better value then ML high end products (Montis and Summits) that have as good as a footprint and visual aesthetic?

Thanks

mr_bill

Re: House Sound: Magnepan 3.7 vs Martin Logan Montis
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:06 pm »
I've heard the Montis once and if I was switching to an electrostatic, that's tge one I'd buy. I'm a Maggie 3.7 owner but not necessarily looking to switch.

rw@cn

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:56 pm »
The Montis is one of the "special" ML affordable speakers. CLS and Prodigy are two others. I had a few MLs and while many were outstanding they weren't IMHO "special".

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

jaylevine

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2014, 01:14 am »
Indeed. This pair was listed earlier then stamped SOLD. I think the deal fell through. I will be going to Northern Virginia next week to see our daughter--hopefully they will still be there.

jjay

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:28 pm »
I currently have two systems in 2 rooms : Main room / 2 channel Magnepan 1.7  with McIntosh amp / preamp and in the lower level a Martin Logan Vantage system with 5.1 Sunfire / JL audio f112 subwoofer system.
If you are having brightness/sharpness problems, I suggest toeing your speaker out and bass traps/ panels work great to reduce glare. I like both speaker brands but for some types of music, I really like the Martin logan electrostatic speakers. JMHO

jaylevine

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm »
Thanks, jjay. Do the ML 'disappear' in the music the way the Magnepans do? One of the distinct characteristics I loved about the Maggies was the way they vanish as a source of the music. Never heard a box speaker do that.

jjay

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm »
Do the ML 'disappear' in the music the way the Magnepans do
Yes, all the panels I have heard have this trait. Martin Logan electrostatic speakers sound more transparent and Magnepan sound more diffuse. Martin Logan obviously have more bass but I use a JL audio f110 subwoofer with my magnepan 1.7 speakers. I find my Martin Logan Vantage speakers require more care in positioning to get great sound but I like that airy, transparent sound you get only from electrostatic speakers. JMHO

bonzo75

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2014, 10:42 pm »
I have owned the ML Summits, and have heard Summit Xs, CLS's Montis, Prodigys, in various set ups. I have also heard Audio Exklusiv (full range planar from Germany), Soundlab Ultimates (with  the metal chassis), Quads and Maggies (not 20.7 yet), and Apogees.

My favourite is the Analysis Audio (Omega or the Amphitryon). It has the magic of the Logan midrange, but much more fuller bodied and well integrated bass. But then if you want high quality for a low price try the GT Audio Planar, which is ribbon magnet hybrid. Very musical ribbon, and much punchier and dynamic than a Maggie. I sold my Summits and am contemplating either the AA or the GTA.

jaylevine

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:07 am »
First thanks for the input--much appriciated as I am looking for critical feedback from folks who have experienced both planar (which I've owned) and electostatics (which I have not but are considering).

Second, I've read through both AA and GT sites and many of the recent threads on the circles--neither speaker would fit my room (which is why I had to dump my 3.7s in the first place).

Thanks again though..

Jay

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:09 am »
You might want to look into JansZen as well.

jsm71

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:25 pm »
Steve beat me to my recommendation.  I had Maggie 1.7s when I switched to the JansZens.  It was admittedly a big step up in price but it got me into a speaker that I will retire with.  No room domination and the sound IMO even exceeded the 3.7s.  The picture is slightly wide angle and the sides of the speakers are actually straight.  It's also an older picture.  I'm running a 40 watt tube amp now.  Wonderful match.  The JansZens are easy to drive.

jaylevine

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2014, 04:41 pm »
Those look great. I'll have to fish around to see if anyone in the Richmond area (WashDC<-->RaleighNC) area have them and would be willing to let me audition them.

Thanks

jsm71

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2014, 05:52 pm »
I would give David Janszen a call.  He is a great guy to work with and very approachable.  He would know if there is someone in your area and possibly open to a demo.  If that's not possible he offers a 30 day trial.  The speakers travel well, given their smaller (than Maggies) form factor.  PM me if you have other questions.

http://www.janszenloudspeaker.com/

Scott

jaylevine

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:50 pm »
Yes, all the panels I have heard have this trait. Martin Logan electrostatic speakers sound more transparent and Magnepan sound more diffuse. Martin Logan obviously have more bass but I use a JL audio f110 subwoofer with my magnepan 1.7 speakers. I find my Martin Logan Vantage speakers require more care in positioning to get great sound but I like that airy, transparent sound you get only from electrostatic speakers. JMHO

Well i got a chance to audition a pair of ML Montis today while visiting Northern VA. Driven by Audio Research amp and pre-amp coupled to a high end transport and DacMagic unit.

Couple of impressions right off: very very detailed mid-range and treble, big soundstage and outstanding imaging. I also thought the integration of the sub-woofer with the panel was done very well (i.e., never noticed a problem), something I was never able to master with my Maggie 3.7 and dual Rel Strata sub-woofer set-up. 

Listened to a wide variety of stuff to get  a good sample, including a Gypsy Kings album, classic piano concerto of some kind, a nice jazz piano sampler and a great demo disk by the USHER speaker company. One thing does stand out--the MLs are so reveling that bad source material (Gypsy Kings vocals for example), really sticks out so much that it might make makes certain tracks unlistenable.

Going to take some time to audition further before next steps, which will likely be trying to unload my Paradigm S8s locally.

bonzo75

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:56 pm »
I am am Martin Logan fan. Like I said, I owned Summits,  sold them to buy the Analysis Audio Omega. But the GT Audio has stopped me from buying the Omegas, more thinking to do. Never liked the Maggies. If you can fit the  Montis in, you can fit the Omegas or the GTA in, you will get the same warmth in vocals. In fact, male vocals will be better. Piano, classical, and dynamics will be better.  Do give those two a try - if you don't like then fine.

steve f

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:56 pm »
I've always found the Maggies a bit diffused sounding. MLs are generally better, IMO. I  really like the JanZens, although I've only caught them at audio shows. Roger Sanders builds the best ESLs in the biz. For a combination of great sound in a SAF situation, I'll second the JanZen guys.

Steve

bonzo75

« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm »
I would like to hear the Janzens as they can be pushed back to the wall. Tough to see how a stat panel can produce the dynamics of a ribbon magnet though.

The Sanders doesn't interest me as the sweet spot is too narrow to even breathe.

steve f

« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm »
The Sanders do have a very narrow sweet spot. Agreed.

Has anyone any experience with the Essence ESL? Ive never auditioned its predecessor Final. People told me good sound but failure prone.

Steve

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:03 am »
The Sanders do have a very narrow sweet spot. Agreed.

Has anyone any experience with the Essence ESL? Ive never auditioned its predecessor Final. People told me good sound but failure prone.

Steve

They look intriguing but 20 degree horizontal dispersion? Ouch! Not enough information on their site to really know what they're doing.