Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

rajacat

• Washington State
I'm currently using JRiver with the MP-D2 and haven't tackled DSD yet; I'm not sure if my computer can handle the load. I just received the SOtM sMS-200 and a 2 month ROON license so I'll eventually give HQplayer/ROON DSD a try if its not too nerdy for me. I don't want to get too bogged down in technical issues. I prefer as plug and play as possible with more time listening to music and other things in my life.

tdangelo

Thanks Roy. I think the problem is due to the Unix OS used in both the Microrendu and SMS-200. They both do it when used as an NAA feeding this DAC. Hopefully the OS will get patched eventually. The DAC is really sounding nice. I'm using the Brimar CV4033 and a Mullard Gz34.

rajacat

• Washington State
Thanks Roy. I think the problem is due to the Unix OS used in both the Microrendu and SMS-200. They both do it when used as an NAA feeding this DAC. Hopefully the OS will get patched eventually. The DAC is really sounding nice. I'm using the Brimar CV4033 and a Mullard Gz34.
Ah that's too bad. I just got my sms200. :duh:
I wonder if the play silence at startup for hardware syncronization option in JRiver would have any effect on the pops.

tdangelo

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #63 on: 11 Apr 2017, 12:39 pm »
Ah that's too bad. I just got my sms200. :duh:
I wonder if the play silence at startup for hardware syncronization option in JRiver would have any effect on the pops. HQPlayer is the problem for me.

Hi Roy, are you using HQPlayer/NAA? If not you shouldn't have any pops. I don't with Roon and didn't with JRiver either when I tried it with the MRendu.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2017, 02:17 pm by tdangelo »

tdangelo

« Reply #64 on: 11 Apr 2017, 06:11 pm »
Roy, the new SMS-200 firmware fixed the pop. Yahoo!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #65 on: 12 Apr 2017, 11:01 pm »
Roy, the new SMS-200 firmware fixed the pop. Yahoo!
Awright. :thumb:
I'm fiddling with my SMS-200 now. I did get it working on JRiver and now loading my library on to SqueezeLite. Next I'll try ROON and then I'll try ROON/ HQPlayer. I wonder if my unit came with the firmware fix installed. :scratch: My  i5 6200U 2.3Ghz laptop might be able to cope with some of the lower dsd rates.
  Intially, i wasn't impressed with the SQ. I'm sure that some burn in will improve that.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #66 on: 13 Apr 2017, 03:24 am »
This dac looks very interesting, I'm sure for people that like to tube roll and tweak gear this is a great discovery. One thing that bothered me reading over at Headfi is there was almost no comparisons between different dacs and I had to go to their website to get any technical information. How can you get a good feel how something sounds with no comparisons to dacs that people have already heard?

As a comparison, the Denafrips Ares model thread also on Headfi has many many comparisons to really good dacs,  good dacs and a very few in the same price range. There is also a lot of discussion on the technical aspects of the dac as well. I have not read any comparisons to this dac thou so we will have to wait and see.

It sounds like everyone who has purchased this dac is happy and that is a great thing! I can't believe how many new dacs are coming out at such great price points. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #67 on: 13 Apr 2017, 11:51 am »
I've been itching for a new DAC and this looks very interesting.  My system goes single ended or XLR.  Have only dabbled with tubes (my experience with them is lackluster to bad), so this would be another leap of faith.  Experimented once with caps with very positive results. 

Have been looking at Schiit.  Obviously they do R2R DACs and now offer 6SN7 based tube preamps, all at good prices.  I like keeping all the tube variables in one piece and one tube type, the upgradability of the DAC, and buying American. 

Question #1:  Can/how could the MP-D2 be configured to provide a good dollop of tube palpability (body/lushness, not warmth)?

Question #2:  Conversely can/how could the MP-D2 be configured to be as uncolored (no tube palpability) as possible?

Question #3:  In keeping with the attractive price, what solid state balanced preamp (with remote) would you recommend? 

TIA

thetubeguy1954

New rectifier for my MP-D2. :) The Mighty USAF 596. I like the Dr. Frankenstein's lab look of this toob. Coke bottle thick glass built to withstand nuclear blast. Much larger than my RCA 5AR4. I'm really having fun rolling tubes in this DAC! Sounds high end with no mods.
Very high resolution with analog flavor. Will do native DSD if you want.

Hi Rajacat!  Can you tell me if you compared the USAF 596 to the Bendix 6106 in the MP-D2?  So far I've preferred the Bendix over the others I've tried, but would like to know your opinion on these two rectifier tubes in the MP-D2.

TIA.

I'm listening to: Just This Side of Heaven by Andrew Jepson

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

System: Mastersound Reference 845 SET, integrated amp, YBA Genesis CD-4 used as a transport, Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC, Beauhorn Virtuoso w/Lowther DX4 drivers.

rajacat

• Washington State
Hi tubeguy,

I haven't tried the Bendix 6106. The only rectifiers I've used have been the stock tube, RCA 5ar4 and the 596.

...Roy

rajacat

• Washington State
tubeguy,
Checkout this monster thread on 5AR4 and similar rectifiers.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/.

Scroll down this page for aneep's survey of a number of rectifiers that he's tried with his MP-D2.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/musical-paradise-m2-d2-ak4490-balanced-dac-reviews.802557/page-7

...Roy

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hey, guys.

Did all you M2-D2 owners suddenly fall into musical nirvana and stop feeling the urge to post about your experiences/impressions with this DAC? C'mon already. Gimme something to read, please! :)

JackD

Michael

I am still using mine everyday while a unit costing three times as much sits on the sidelines and the Aqua La Voce is a great DAC in it's own right.  Won't fit in your suitcase though like the IDA-8. :)

mresseguie

Michael

I am still using mine everyday while a unit costing three times as much sits on the sidelines and the Aqua La Voce is a great DAC in it's own right. 

This is an impressive feat IMO.

Won't fit in your suitcase though like the IDA-8. :)

Hi, Jack.

With these dimensions and weight:
Dimensions

W 34.5cm x D 38cm x H 15cm (13.58" x 14.96" x 5.9")

Gross Weight

12.5 kg (27.5 lbs)

It will fit very comfortably inside my carry-on polycarbonate suitcase encased in a 2" thick closed cell foam cocoon. Both my Gustard DAC and my D Sachs preamp were transported in this suitcase. I think, however, that I may forego buying a new DAC this year because I really want to get a new amp for my system in Taiwan. There's no rush to decide as I won't fly back till late October or November.

BTW, that suggestion to buy a briefcase (Oops! laptop tote) in that other thread is an amazing idea I hadn't considered before. Thumbs up for 'pure genius'!  :thumb:

Michael
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2017, 07:18 am by mresseguie »

JackD

Michael

The laptop tote makes the 16 just as portable as the 8 so no reason not to trade up.  As to the DAC's the Gustard and the MP are both over achievers and one is not "better" than the other just different flavors.  If you decide to move to the IDA-16 you will get the basics of the DAC-10 so again just another flavor albeit a better flavor than the one in the IDA-8. 

rajacat

• Washington State
Hey, guys.

Did all you M2-D2 owners suddenly fall into musical nirvana and stop feeling the urge to post about your experiences/impressions with this DAC? C'mon already. Gimme something to read, please! :)
I'm still here :D. Still have the MP-D2 and enjoying my tube rolling adventures.
Recently, I rolled in a pair of platinum/cryoed Matsushita 7DJ8's. They replaced the platinum/cryoed EH 6H30Pi's. The Matsu's are more balanced with less emphasize on the ends of the sound spectrum. They come across as juicier and thicker but are equally detailed. I'm very happy with them. Only about 30 hours on them so I'll hear if they improve more with age but I like them and may order a backup pair. Actually, they sounded very nice after just a few hours of burn-in. Liquid and buttery would describe their SQ. They seem to occupy the midpoint between the 6H30pi's and the Amperex Orange globes in flavor. One concern with my particular Amperex's is that they were a *itch to remove from the sockets.
 IMO the most important factor in finding your perfect tube is system synergy.
The MP-D2 is very sensitive to tube rolling so its fun to have a change of pace every now and then.
   Concerning the path to audio nirvana, I don't think I'll ever achieve that state of grace. Audionervosa is an incurable disease.

charmerci

It will fit very comfortably inside my carry-on polycarbonate suitcase encased in a 2" thick closed cell foam cocoon. Both my Gustard DAC and my D Sachs preamp were transported in this suitcase. I
Michael

They let you transport equipment on the plane? Don't they think it's some type of explosive device?

mresseguie

They let you transport equipment on the plane? Don't they think it's some type of explosive device?

If they worried about it, no one ever said anything to me. There was one thing I noticed this February when I flew back to Taiwan (after my father had passed). I took my Rancilio Sylvia espresso machine to Taiwan in checked luggage. When I took it out of the padded suitcase, I discovered the top plate had been pried up (presumably to check inside). That plate is now warped a little. It doesn't affect the usability, but I know it's there.

I'll never know if it was US Customs or Taiwan Customs that did it. I thank the Audio Gods that nothing vicious was done to my D Sachs Preamp!

mresseguie

I'm still here :D. Still have the MP-D2 and enjoying my tube rolling adventures.
Recently, I rolled in a pair of platinum/cryoed Matsushita 7DJ8's. They replaced the platinum/cryoed EH 6H30Pi's. The Matsu's are more balanced with less emphasize on the ends of the sound spectrum. They come across as juicier and thicker but are equally detailed. I'm very happy with them. Only about 30 hours on them so I'll hear if they improve more with age but I like them and may order a backup pair. Actually, they sounded very nice after just a few hours of burn-in. Liquid and buttery would describe their SQ. They seem to occupy the midpoint between the 6H30pi's and the Amperex Orange globes in flavor. One concern with my particular Amperex's is that they were a *itch to remove from the sockets.
 IMO the most important factor in finding your perfect tube is system synergy.
The MP-D2 is very sensitive to tube rolling so its fun to have a change of pace every now and then.
   Concerning the path to audio nirvana, I don't think I'll ever achieve that state of grace. Audionervosa is an incurable disease.

Thank you, rajacat.

Have you switched out the caps? (I haven't reread this thread in a while, so I don't recall who changed caps.)

Michael

rajacat

• Washington State
I've replaced the stock 2.2uf Obbligato Gold's with some used Mundorf 2.2uf silver/oil's. I'd like to try the Dueland's but 2.2uf too pricey for me.
...Roy
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2017, 11:00 pm by rajacat »