Question! Oppo BDP-105 Mod Options!

rocker9999

Re: Question! Oppo BDP-105 Mod Options!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2012, 12:19 am »
Dan,
You mentioned in an earlier post that you would offer some comments and insight regarding USB playback through the new Oppo 105, do you have any news for us?

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:19 am »
The interface and drivers work well and sound very good.  I have been using the USB input via J. River Media, to burn-in the player and tube circuit.  The driver install was easy and no problems at all with the Oppo.

It also allows for switching from Coax., Opt., HDMI out and Blu-Ray player settings via 'source' button on remote.

All very seamless and quite good!

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:42 pm »
Hi Dan. Just a quick question. Will the video LPS upgrade still improve video if I use my Runco processor?

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2012, 10:32 pm »
The LPS supply will improve the video, because it will provide better and cleaner power to all video processing chips.  This includes all HDMI and digital out audio and video circuits.

I am working on the proto board right now!

Thanks,

Dan W.

Tommy123

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm »
Any SS mod?

talk2me

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm »
Dan,

Dude, u -r- da Man!!  :thumb:

jackox

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2012, 02:48 pm »
Hello Dan and all the guys.

I am currently testing the BDP105 and it is a very good performer.
Analog audio is really good and I am sure the Modwright version will be simply amazing.

On the new Oppo series it seems the clock does not benefit from being changed, not like on the BDP93/95 in which the currently best move is to use a triple clock board. Complicated work ...
The LPS is a very good idea, this is what Audiocom in England is doing (they use the Korean board fron Jaehong Lee).

I would like to point at some facts.
Long ago at the time of the BDP83SE Dan already thought about a linear PSU. I remember talking about that idea with him. At the time the task was not doable due to complicated design and unjustified cost.
Knowing about Dan's work I know that his LPS with be better than the Korean's. Plus if done in the same idea it should fit in the BDP93 and BDP95.
Look into that Dan, and you might sell some LPS as OEM in that matter.
Other thing I want to point at, the digital input on the BDP105 is an idea that came from the tweakers and Dan did a huge work in order to bring a functional board.
I will say that all considered this was his idea in the first place.

So who to trust with the best BDP105 tweak possible? Dan of course!

I am looking into it, so excited to know about the final design and what people think about the unit.

Just a question, will you propose a MRMZ module option?

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2012, 05:58 am »
Yes, region free mods will be available.

NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR 105 TUB MODS! (Dec. 10 2012)

Thanks,

Dan W.

brgman

« Reply #28 on: 14 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm »
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this mod but wonder about the tube sound when using a series of tubed equipment.If you have a Modwright 105 running with a tube preamp and tube amp wouldn't the pre or amp sound dominate?
I have wondered the same just between the pre and the amp.When both are tube units which are you really "hearing"?
Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:35 pm »
To answer your question it really is a matter of system synergy.  Whether it be tube or SS, every component does contribute its own sonic character.

If the question is, whether the Oppo will add too much TUBE character, then the answer is a definitive NO.  It is VERY neutral and resolving.  Yes, tube rolling will give different tonality and does allow you to adjust the sound to your personal taste.  Being neutral and resolving however, means that it will not OVERLY color the system sound!  If ANYTHING, the resolution and neutrality will remove what HAS BEEN a bottleneck to good sound in your system prior to addition of the ModWright 105!

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

brgman

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2013, 06:53 pm »
Thanks Dan.
I know each has it's own signature just like i can hear the difference between an sacd on the Oppo or the Marantz but i always wondered if there was a dominant part in the chain.Be it amp or pre.
Looking forward to modding my 105 and hearing the difference in the upgrade.

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:28 pm »
The most sensitive and thus audible parts of the signal path that will show tube differences, begin at the lowest signal level point...i.e. source, then preamp, then amp input stage.  The signal is most vulnerable at these points and as a result, will have more impact on the sound.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #32 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:36 pm »
Hi Dan, and thanks. What about at the source? Namely the 105. Tubes in the 105 or the rectifier in the PS?

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:55 pm »
I would recommend the Sophia 6SN7's and Amperex or Mullard GZ34, based on my personal preference.

Thanks,

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:56 pm »

dminches

« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:01 pm »
Marco, beautiful shots.

roadkingraw

« Reply #36 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:14 pm »
I have to agree.  Great pictures and a good update to the ModWright site.  Now, if we could just get Dan to start blogging again!  OOOOOOOPS, my inside voice came out!

dminches

« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:59 pm »
I'd rather Dan hire a ghost blogger and spend time finishing up the DAC!

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:24 pm »
Concerning that last photo of the PS 9.9 power supply:

Does anyone think it would be an issue to have that hole cut in the cover for the rectifier tube if you end up NOT using that mega-large tube? I mean say you try it but end up not liking it?

I'm just wondering- would we have to worry about dust or whatnot falling in there?

ajayrav

« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:30 pm »
On that same note, I wonder if it is possible, and how much it would cost, to get a replacement cover without the cut-out so one can swap the covers back and forth depending on the tube employed in the power supply.

Ajay