Question about Hoyt-Bedford Type I and suitability for my living room

krakow

Hi All,
I was looking at a Hoyt-Bedford Type I and considering it's suitability for my living room. It measures approximately 16 x 16 x 9 with and opening on the right side to the dining area and kitchen. Wooden floors. I'm not looking for very loud volumes or anything because our condo floors are badly constructed and my neighbors downstairs can hear sounds pretty easily. I will drive the speakers using a regular yahama receiver (approx 100 wpc listed) and will mostly be using it for orchestral, world music and vocal heavy music in addition to TV/movie duty once in a while.
Will adding a side-firing subwoofer help in any way?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

ZLS

I would definitley reccomend the Hoyt-Bedford Type I.  If you are not familiar with single driver speakers, you will be amazed at the clarity that they posses in reproducing music. 

I own a pair that I use as both my flat screen tv and my stereo speakers. 

You don't have to listen at loud volumes to enjoy the speakers, something the people living across the hall from me truly appreciate.   

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
............and I would add that you may find you don't feel the need for a subwoofer with music, which could be another plus in your condo.

Lin

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
I strongly recommend this speaker.  It's sound is utterly effortless and like ZLS said, loud volumes are not needed to get all the dynamics.  Also, I totally agree with opnly bafld in that a sub is not needed.  This is a full sounding and fast speaker.
I would, instead of buying speaker stands, go with the Hoyt-Bedford .5 Risers and sand full them as they will further dampen any floor-borne vibrations, further endearing your downstairs neighbours to you.

frank111

Krakow,  I think you'll be pleased with HoytBedford type 1's. I, like ZLS use mine in a 2 channel video/audio system thru a 50watt McIntosh amp. If you picture a volume knob as a clock, I have never turned the volume past 9 o'clock on my preamp. The HB1's are very efficient(dont need many watts to produce high sound levels), and have a good frequency response. I recently listened to Nat King Cole(The Very Best Of), it was like he was there. And last weekend watched Independance Day on dvd, the explosions were deep & rocked my visitors.  Frank.