Durham, NC Audio GTG / Social Gathering - Saturday, November 22nd starting @ 1PM

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Everyone in the Raleigh/Durham area (or others that are within driving distance and want to make the trip)....

I'm having a social get together at my place near the Streets of Southpoint Mall in Durham, NC this upcoming Saturday, November 22nd starting at 1PM... we'll run until the last guy leaves, or until the wife gives the stink eye bad enough that folks get the hint if it runs past midnight :)

There will be 2 primary audio setups for actual listening:

In a totally untreated room will be the Devialet 120 all in one wonder box stereo system driving Harbeth Monitor 30.1s with SAM processing engaged on the Devialet. 

In the primary listening space will the new Harbeth Super HL-5 Plus models that are just now shipping in the USA.  PS Audio DirectStream DAC will handle digital duties and will feed either a Unison Research Unico 50 hybrid integrated amp or an Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) AM-777 hybrid integrated amp.  I just inserted 2 REL Gibraltar G-2 subwoofers into the setup today.  if they get enough break-in time and I can get them dialed in enough, they will be playing with the speakers and we can listen to music with and without the stereo subs to see how it affects perceptions and enjoyment.

While this meeting is primarily about 2 channel music listening, I will have a few headphone setups and anyone interested is welcome to listen to anything I have here for headphone gear: 

Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2 Bamboo and Rosewood, LCD-3, LCD-X, LCD-XC
Fostex new TH-500RP, TH-600, TH-900, T50RP with mods
Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800, IE800, Urbanite XL, Momentum Over Ear

Headphone specific DACs & Amps:
Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) DP-777 tube output DAC
B.M.C. Audio PureDAC DAC/balanced headphone amp
Bakoon Products HPA-21, HPA-01 battery powered current drive headamps
iFi Audio complete lineup including Nano iDSD & iCAN, as well as the Micro iDSD that everyone is raving about, iUSBPower, iDAC, iCAN, iTube, etc.
Fostex HP-A4, HP-A8C, HP-V1 tube portable amp
PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC can feed any of the amps.
Red Wine Audio Signature 16 with single ended headphone amp built in
Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/balanced headphone amp

Cables:
WyWires RED Series headphone cables and adapters as well as other cabling
Custom made headphone cables using high end cable manufacturers wire cut and built into custom headphone cables for my own listening pleasure
Tellurium Q interconnect cabling and power cords

This is a *social* gathering.  There will be zero commercial focus.  You're welcome to ask questions in the course of chatting, but there will be *zero* sales pitches of any kind or any initiation on my part to do anything of the sort.  Come hear some great gear that I'm excited to share and let folks get to hear without having to travel to an audio show, relax and listen to some music and converse with other audio crazies :)

You're welcome to bring something with you if you think others would be interested in hearing it.  Just like everyone else, I'm always curious to hear something I've not heard before.

Please PM me on here or send me an email directly (sales at nightanddayaudio dot com) to let me know if you are coming for sure.  I'd like to get a semi accurate head count to make sure there are enough munchies here for everyone.  Thanks!

richidoo

Sounds like fun. Thanks for hosting Shane! 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Sounds like some mighty fine systems I will unfortunately miss due to family duties. Have fun and thank you for the projector, it's great!

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2014, 06:04 pm by poseidonsvoice »

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Anand,

Too bad you can't make it... I'm glad you are enjoying the projector!!

Update: 

unless there is a big rush at the last minute, this should be a nice manageable sized group.  I also let folks know on Audio Nervosa and Head-Fi about the event.  Since it was such last a minute plan on my part to do a get together, I've gotten a fair bit of feedback that it didn't give a lot of of folks enough time to arrange their schedules...

also, lots of folks would have preferred Sunday, especially the head-fiers...which is keeping the attendance numbers down to a great number for easy socialization and opportunities for listening in whatever location you want.... the feedback i received on the day to hold a meet will likely mean the headphone centric meet after thanksgiving will be on sunday...

I'm likely going to do chili as meal food (ultra mild for folks like me :) with spice additives/hot sauce off to the side for everyone else) to keep it easy, as well as the usual munchies (chips, dips, maybe some cheeses, sodas, maybe a cookie or two, etc.)  If you have specific dietary needs, please just bring something you like.  I'll have a couple adult beverages to offer but that's not my focus these days with a 2 year old.  So if you want to have an adult beverage while here and a yeungling and/or my spirit cabinet doesn't work for you), please bring along something you like and/or want to share. 

If you've not responded to me yet via PM or email to say you are coming, please do so and you are more than welcome to attend.  Thanks!