What is the worst sounding gear you have bought based soley on reviews?

raindance

I owned Onix Reference 2s and while they weren't the best speakers i've had, they certainly bested a lot of similarly priced options when they first came out.

I would have to say that most B&M offerings from the early 2000s that received high praise were simply not worth the cash.  Paradigm speakers, various models, didn't wow me at all and I found B&W speakers no better.

I also believe a lot of tube power amps are overrated and lack the detail a good solid state amp does.  OTLs may be an exception.

I agree with you on the tube amps. Unfortunately people are now buying bargain priced Chinese amps that are not safe to operate at 120 volts and have a frequency response that doesn't meet hifi minimum requirements, and then raving all over the web about them so that other idiots go out and make the same mistake. I have repaired a number of these mistakes and some were produced by companies without even basic design skills. Before the objections start, I'm not bashing ALL Chinese amps.

raindance

This thread is turning out interesting indeed. I'm trying to find common threads here.

raindance

Here's another. Citypulse DA7.2x DAC. I thought it'd be a good way to add remote volume to my tube amp and improve the sound (based on reviews). Well, it sounded BAD. The volume control is of the too loud or off variety and the upsampling feature cured me of pursuing that avenue (added brightness and sizzle). Plus it added huge amounts of noise to my system. Yuk! But it continues to get good reviews.

raindance

Another disappointment: this product is not garbage, just wasn't to my taste - the MHDT Labs Paradisea. Very dull and uninvolving DAC even with the expensive Western Electric 396A tubes. I couldn't get my head past the bits of music that were missing to begin to enjoy it.

If you have a poorly matched over bright system, this may be an option, but at the cost of detail.

raindance

One more - some 100 watt tube monos that were RAVED about. Any guesses what brand they were? Very badly made, complete with multiple design errors and a bad sound to match. I ended up correcting some of the design errors and then found the output transformers were the limiting factor, so out they went.

Stu Pitt

I recant my statement of never blindly buying anything -

I bought a Panasonic XR-55 receiver.  I bought it for my brother (then about 15 or so).  I opened it up and hooked it up before giving it to him.  Everyone raved about that thing.  It was the beginning of 'digital' amps.  The worst piece of gear I've ever heard.   It went back, and I bought him a pair of those Insignia speakers that everyone raved about and gave him my old NAD integrated amp.

The Insignia speakers weren't bad at all.  A bit of a one trick pony - they imaged and soundstaged better than a lot of hifi speakers, yet didn't do much else very well. 

raindance

I recant my statement of never blindly buying anything -

I bought a Panasonic XR-55 receiver.  I bought it for my brother (then about 15 or so).  I opened it up and hooked it up before giving it to him.  Everyone raved about that thing.  It was the beginning of 'digital' amps.  The worst piece of gear I've ever heard.   It went back, and I bought him a pair of those Insignia speakers that everyone raved about and gave him my old NAD integrated amp.

The Insignia speakers weren't bad at all.  A bit of a one trick pony - they imaged and soundstaged better than a lot of hifi speakers, yet didn't do much else very well.

Hey Stu - I might have posted a better response about your TV if you had said in your post that it "used to work".... Glad you figured it out.

cujobob

Yeah, IME, the XR55 was not amazing, but I think I considered it a good starter unit because inexpensive receivers (until very recently) were absolutely terrible.  100 watts of power from a receiver was hard enough to find...they all claimed 100 but only HK was coming close.

Another piece of gear I bought solely on reviews that underwhelmed me was the AR1P ( I think ) outlet power conditioner.  It MAY have made an audible improvement, but for that price and considering it had fewer outlets than a Panamax or similar unit, I'd expect noticeable improvement.  For some, paying $400-500 for a simple tweak may not be a big deal, but don't claim night-and-day differences with such things in reviews and I won't expect so much.  Ok, so I realistically didn't expect drastic improvements, but it certainly didn't do what reviews were telling me it would.

Gopher

The Meridian G08.  I'd read so much positive about it and heard it briefly (under 10 minutes) in an unfamiliar system at a headphone meet and had to own one.

That was actually the most expensive piece of gear I've purchased brand new and I was still a student at the time--I REALLY had to have it.  Utterly disappointing.  I tried to enjoy it in my system for a couple months, but it was ultimately boring and soul-less and kicked to the curb.  A lot of people seem to love it and I didn't hate the 508.20 I used to own, so there may have been synergy issues at play, but I have nothing positive to say about the experience.

bummrush

dig amps without a question

coke

Sure SE310

My etymotic er-4p broke so I needed a replacement.  The Sures were horrible.  Not worth more than $50 in my opinion.

I replaced those with Ortofon e-q7.   I expected to be blown away for something this expensive, but sadly I wasn't.

Looking back, I should have just bought another pair of etymotics.

Stu Pitt

Hey Stu - I might have posted a better response about your TV if you had said in your post that it "used to work".... Glad you figured it out.

Raindance - Thanks for the TV replies.  Its a bit odd, having owned it but not used it with the stereo for a while.  Maybe it was always on variable, maybe it wasn't.  But that's another thread.

Quiet Earth

I'm trying to find common threads here.

It's right on the tip of your screen . . . . can you see it now?
Hint : it's not an object or a name, it's a course of action.  :green:

I would say at least 75% of everything that I have purchased based solely on reviews has ended up in the spare parts bin or sold. That doesn't necessarily mean there was anything wrong with it. It just means that I should have heard it before I bought it. (Oops, I gave the answer away.)

Addendum : On the brighter side, I have two components in my rack that I did buy base solely on information from the net. A balanced AC power transformer and a TVC. I've owned them for quite a while now and I can't imagine being without them.

EthanH

B&W DM602S2.  A lot of people seem to like the 600 series but I just didn't care for the sound at all.  Amazing that a monitor that big could have such weak bass.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Stu,

I own Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (ported 2-ways) from almost the beginning of the company and love them.  Nothing to look at for sure, but image like champs, very tuneful, and apparently very high internal content value.

I also bought a matching CBM-200 (small MTM design) a couple of years back as a center channel and ain't much impressed with it (I've not seen a review of them), so who knows?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
BYOB,

By far the worst professional review I've ever read was for speakers from the same guy that now sells Audio Nirvana.  And his reply (posted with the review) was hateful and childish.  Reportable he allows auditions, but only at his place where he's had EQ hidden.  His cabinets are the worst braced I've ever seen.

Mariusz

By far the worst professional review I've ever read was for speakers from the same guy that now sells Audio Nirvana
Post link please. (got 25min. to kill) :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010, 08:18 pm by Mariusz »

I.Greyhound Fan

Marantz SA8001 SACDP, not very detailed, Music Hall 25.2 CDP and Monitor Audio S1 speakers.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
I found a Hafler 500 on my grandpa's house. He gave it to me, but after hearing it..i was pretty disappointed...highs were poor and lack of details. 

Wind Chaser

An Audio Alchemy DAC back in the 90's

An Aragon 4004 MKII

Apogee Centaur - not strictly based on  a review

The Trends Class T amp with Audiomagus Value Mod

All very under whelming.