Re: Cheap Tweaks ($100.00 or less)

samT

« Reply #100 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:57 pm »
I have the Shunyat  dark field elevators and it works like wonders, cleaner, more airy, more dynamic and focused sound stage

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #101 on: 28 Sep 2008, 04:12 pm »

John,
I have a friend that claims to hear a difference in speaker cables depending on the color of the insulation on the wire.  He has excellent hearing and a very trained ear.  He is an honorable man, and I have no doubt that he hears a difference.  My hearing is damaged, my ear training is limited, and I really don't hear differences in  IC cables, speaker wires,  etc. However, there are major differences that I can hear in amplifiers, preamps, sources, and speakers.  For me, it would be foolish to spend money on tweeks that I cannot hear.  That does not mean that I can speak to what others will hear. Although I suspect that sometimes the audio emperor has no clothes, I also suspect that sometimes he does, and I just can't see them.

John Ryder

« Reply #102 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:18 pm »

John,
I have a friend that claims to hear a difference in speaker cables depending on the color of the insulation on the wire.  He has excellent hearing and a very trained ear.  He is an honorable man, and I have no doubt that he hears a difference.  My hearing is damaged, my ear training is limited, and I really don't hear differences in  IC cables, speaker wires,  etc. However, there are major differences that I can hear in amplifiers, preamps, sources, and speakers.  For me, it would be foolish to spend money on tweeks that I cannot hear.  That does not mean that I can speak to what others will hear. Although I suspect that sometimes the audio emperor has no clothes, I also suspect that sometimes he does, and I just can't see them.

Agree 110%.

darrenyeats

« Reply #103 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:52 pm »
If you can really hear the difference between amps, preamps, speaker cables...or the colour of cable jackets...then you should be able to tell which is which when you don't know what's playing. If you can't do this...I for one will sleep easy on it.
Darren

zmanbands

« Reply #104 on: 28 Sep 2008, 09:03 pm »
What are the dimensions of the blocks? Did you place them directly under the components and on top of the maple platforms? Have you tried mapleshade large brass cones?

mmakshak

« Reply #105 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:00 pm »
  This tweak is something else.  It is not your normal tweak.  On my analog, I can hear musicians slowing down(when they don't want to).  It is an opening on the midrange.  When I find something like this(for instance, when I've dialed in anti-skate or VTA), I move onto another area.  I guess I should say what it is?  I recently got Mapleshade's 4-inch amp stands(no, it's not this) for my Nuforce 8.5V1.  I tried putting the amp directly on to it(For those that don't know, there is a difference between the footers used on the 8.02 and the 8.5.  I think they got softer.).  I then tried Eaglesound's myrtle footers($3 each), and defeating the amp's feet.  I then put BSA's small isonodes under the myrtle.  Wow!  I had music.  There is no grain(note:  I use Lessloss power cords.).  It was like an open window on the midrange.  Songs were easy to understand-if you know what I mean.  I would guess that this tweak is on par-or better than-all the feet they sell for $300/set.  I use 3 feet per side.  Most of you have these things lying around.  Give it a try.  You'll not be disappointed.  Note:  I have huge brass cones, small brass cones, maple ,and many other isolation devices elsewhere in my system.

Mike19

• Carbona, not glue.
« Reply #106 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:49 pm »
Be carefull if you put IsoNodes directly under an intergrated or an amp - they might melt like mine did. :oops:

The wood blocks in between sounds like the ticket.  :thumb:

wedweb

« Reply #107 on: 27 Feb 2009, 12:25 pm »
For the WLM/Woods speaker cables.....Woods sells their wire in bulk.  And they actually have speaker wire too.  Check out their catalog.

Has anyone tried their actual speaker cable?

http://www.woods.com/files/04FullLine.pdf

Bo

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #108 on: 5 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm »
Good find Bo.  :thumb:
The bulk stuff interests me the most, although it's hard to beat $9 for 40' of the Yard Master ("WLM") as I've got several runs of it.
Their speaker cable seems to be zip cord, fancy(ish) zip cord, but zip none the less.

I didn't know they sold products under so many names (AC Delco surprises me the most).

Bob

mote

« Reply #109 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:34 pm »
Added a couple of wall hangings, which provided some reflection break-up. I think they were < $20/each @ Target.

J@ck

« Reply #110 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:47 pm »
Regarding the WLM/Woods cable, I can only find the 16 awg green color 100ft verity by Yard Master. Does anyone know if this is the same stuff?
Thank you.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #111 on: 17 Mar 2009, 04:30 pm »
I'm using the white and tan cables. They appear exactly the same to me. From what I recall, somebody said the green stuff was the same as well.

Bob