VSA Ultra Winter Warmers.."psychedelic trip on the musical stairway to heaven!

SundayNiagara

Beware of differing amplifier sensitivities. Can/will cause timing errors.

kernelbob

Beware of differing amplifier sensitivities. Can/will cause timing errors.

I can't speak for all amplifier combinations, but the set I'm using integrates with no audible issues.  The result sounds like one amp with the combined best attributes of each.

violetmachan

hi Robert

I am sure you know what sounds best at home.

I have not heard the spectron amps nor the dual kronzilla amps.......but I am very well versed with kronzilla DX monoblocks  as I have heard them at home in my setup. :thumb:

It's one magical tube power amp....tons of power and speed and most of all fantastic stunning head room .......which takes realism to its limit.....and to make things more confusing ,it works in tandem with the VSA 9se mark 2 so well.....it's like a match made in heaven!

I am sure when you have your sum of parts sorted out.....your system will be something to die for ....( even with a complete loom of signatures) especially the specially modded vsa  100x speaker array

the reason I suggested the ultra speaker cables was  to optimise the internals of the 100x .....you only need to use it to feel the magic......!

regards
Sam

BigSwede

The Master-Built line was designed by math and electromechanical methods on a computer (I''ll brace myself for the responses this will bring), not by listening tests.  However, they do extensive listening comparison tests to verify their designs.  Their goal is to eliminate any type of coloration and/or degradation that a cable can add to a musical signal.  These distortions include  excess resistance, inductance, capacitance, and signal loss created by impurities in the conductor and unwanted interaction of the signal with free radical electrons in the insulation covering the conductor.

As Delphi has measured several hundred percentage points of differences in the ratio of capacitance, resistance, and inductance between various metals, winding geometries, and insulation properties, there is no surprise that these unwanted reactances HAVE TO affect the signal.  Delphi's goal is to eliminate any interaction between the signal and the conduction path, which is an extremely difficult task.  They use $4 million in test equipment (most companies have only a meter that costs a few hundred dollars) and Delphi has their own foundry which can formulate any type of conduction material you can dream up.  They have their own  apparatus used to insulate the conductors, and they control every single aspect of their products.  This is quite a step up from the guys who home-brew their designs on their kitchen table and have some small shop build product for them.  While many of the larger cable companies do have factories, they do very little theoretical research and are mainly vehicles to generate large profits for the investors.  Delphi is nothing like that, there are no investors and the main thrust of their company is to supply NASA and the military with cable products that work in the field.  Delphi has been working with NASA since the first space mission and has been an integral element to the success of modern satellite and space vehicle power systems.  The cables need to transmit very low level signals with full integrity even with sun spot activity, so shielding is a big factor, as well as very low resistance and reactance so that the millivolt signals sent by the computer to low powered transmission systems will not be corrupted.  Sounds very similar to the target spec of an audio cable, doesn't it?
I am delighted to hear that actual, measurable math and science are being successfully used to design these cables. For years there have been the amateur or professional electrical engineers who have denied that cables can make a difference because the I-C-R doesn't change blah blah blah. My response has always been that either you are measuring the wrong thing, or your measurements don't have the necessary resolution to discern the differences, because to my ear there are definitely differences between cables.

Now hopefully this science will trickle down to a price point that those of us in the Vortex Acoustics price spectrum can afford.

violetmachan

PART 2 of VSA ULTRA Winter Warmers

I have crossed the initial 500 plus hours of the runin program to harness and optimise the use of  VSA-MB Ultra extreme loom of XLR IC`s and Speaker cables and as promised ,

noted a few very interesting features to help other passionate VSA/Albert/MB  followers, supportors reach  and make meaningful choices so as to reach their sonic dreams

It does not mean that any of the other products of albert / VSA-MB , are not ideal or inappropriate  for use.

Here the search was to get the  best out of the system ,room and its interactions and finally the reproduced sound ,which each one us would call pleasurable music

Note the very subjective nature of music and whats good and bad! …..

I am sure there will be many sides  to the coin!  and many for and against….well its only what I thought I heard…..music, may be noise to others…..well, its not gospel truth….

I must also make it very clear, I have no monetary or vested interests. I am just a private user of VSA/Albert/MB products…..thoroughly enjoying my music…..ongoing for many ,many years.

Test CDS……photo included

The same group used for the power amp comparsion in august 2013 ….so that the test is simple and easily reproducible. All were ordinary CD`s…..no enhanced or special formats ( SACD/XRCD/SHM SACD) were used
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119143.0

Live TV Broadcasts!....this I found most useful and enjoyable for realistic  day to day audible sounds

MUSIC VIDEOS……This was an absolute surprise……last time a group of us met in NOV2014….to compare music and sound….no tests were done……but unexpected and spontaneous dancers invaded the sound room!! And did not stop till the wee hours in the morning.....this is the absolute truth.

TEST EQUIPMENT

Meridian 861 V6 cinema processor
Meridian 558 power amp
( biamping done for speakers)
Vr 9se mark 2 speakers
Emmlabs xds1 V2 with latest upgrade
2. sets of vsa –mb ultra extreme xlr  IC`s ie one pair of each side of bi-amplification)
True 8 piece vsa-mb ultra extreme speaker cables
All power cables were Kubala-sosna  Elation/Emotion  and one  Jena power1

Note the whole tenor combo of 350mHP monoblocks and the preamp1 were disconnected to save precious tenor tube life

TEST DURATION: 1000 plus hours of active runin program
as per Alberts WARNING & INSTRUCTIONS

Total completed….600plus hours

Note – no kable kooking program was done or available

Cable Runin CD`s:

using combination of  a very special Cable burnin disc,
collision course –Linkin Park/jay-z Cd .
albert`s choice Night Train solo by Christain Mcbride Cd

EVOLUTION of SOUND

PHOTO BREAK.....The Devil`s in the detail!

150 hours……very harsh with only mid and highs coming through :|

150 to 250 …..highs getting very sweet and controlled and the low frequencies being to exert   themselves and the semblences of a magical midrange slowly coming to light

250 to 350…..predominace of the low frequencies…..can mask the midrange and make lower mids a little woolly

350 to 450 the low freq is very extended and beginning to slowly blossom with all the thunderous extentions, meanwhile the the high freqs are beginning to sing at their best,
The midrange is finally coming forward and the whole audio spectrum is fully open

Here the magical realistic scale of music is becoming very obivious :scratch:

PHOTO BREAK....CLARITY!!

500 plus hours….The midrange is at its best, highs are singing sweetly and the lows are as low as you can go and slowly all the so call audible range is there in all its splendour!

600 plus hours…..just simple music in all its magic..….just as the recording engineer recorded the music and broadcast engineer wanted it to sound.

PHOTO BREAK…..hope your are beginning to see the light!

I do plan to run the whole 1000 plus hour to complete the runin program before I reconnect the tenor combo to do full justice to one of the best pieces of audio I have ever owned

This magnificiant piece of wires!! Do deserve to have all the time needed to bring the best out of them…..as somebody I know very well from recent PM to me ......a 19 year old single malt needs all its time to mature…..so patience sam!

THE INITIAL VSA-MB ULTRA LOOM OF XLR ICS & TRUE BIWIRE SPEAKER CABLES- IMPRESSION.UPDATE:roll:

The initial three observation ( mentioned in the begining of the thread) stay true to the pedigree of the cables

1. The very realistic scale of presentation......very impressive

2. The realism of the reproduced sound is so real.....almost life like

3. The micro dynamics, clarity and ultra high resolution is so intense....BUT AT  NO TIME DOES IT EVER DISTRACT , you from the music and does not take your mind/ hearing to anything special .....makes presentation again like a full range speaker , very coherent and almost life like!!

4. This presentation is soo soo instantaneous.....that your are very satisfied with what your are hearing, seeing and feeling.....ie feels like music/real live sound ....the minute you play your CD/livebroadcast/watch a movie.

I have always felt , its the first few seconds of playing music .....you'll know if it sounds right.....( you do not have to do hours and days of intense listening , to know you have something special)

The synergy between the system , the surroundings and you....translates into a very natural,very  pleasureable non tiring sound.....that feels like music to me!

Note the ultra loom seem to make this happen in my system in my living space
It Sounds like there are no connections in my system…..it does sound like its …..almost human ….life like!!.......must say it’s the best I have ever heard at home

SORRY!, There are really "NO FANCY WORDS " I can use to describe what I am thoroughly enjoying…..you and only you will need to listen to them…..to partake and enjoy this magic……simple and pure music

This again is very subjective…..you may not like what I hear!!
[/color]

PHOTO BREAK……..Here endth the lesson! :icon_lol:

I hope you enjoyed this picture montage.

I do plan To conclude the final part with an indepth  view, review and comparsions of  various cables ….once the 1000 plus hours are done …….....

I presume this will really take many months before it come to light ......in the very dim and distant future!!

Finally in closing what Albert so eloquently described in his narrative

“ THE VSA-MB ULTRA CONDUCTIVE DEVICE”!!

Until you hear this ULTRA conduction device yourself (I hesitate to call it "wire" as it is made of rare earth metal powders that are molten into threads), it is very difficult to describe what ULTRA sounds like.  For starters, there is no "sound" to this cable; instead it is an invisible carrier of the signal.  You are only hearing the signal itself, without the gross pollution caused by defects in normal cable design.  To make the explanation simple, the ULTRA cable enables your system to virtually explode with millions of fractiles of sonic detail (normally blended into a "mush" by most other cables).  The signal is far more dynamic, to the point where you think that you've turned up the volume control by accident.  Instead of just being louder, however, the dynamic range between loud and soft, as well as distance differentials in the image recreation, are magnified due to the lack of parasitic losses inherent in normal copper or silver wire.  The sonic purity of the signal is magnified, as is depth and frequency extension at both bass and treble ranges.  These are not "small" or insignificant differences, they are so audible that anyone can hear them.

hope you find what your looking for! :duh:

enjoy the ride and happy listening

sam
:thumb:

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015, 12:14 am by violetmachan »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Hello Sam,

sorry to respond this late.
Thanks for last years hospitality, we had a great time all together.
Thanks also for sharing this here. (btw, nice picture in the Cathedral)

I am very glad your system comes alive as predicted.
You and your wife must be the most happy persons of the UK now.
As I know you have a very fine collection of good music on CD and DVD to enjoy to.

And you are right, the Kronzilla DX monoblocks are a very good match.

All the best from Holland,

Cor

violetmachan

hello Cor

That was a stunning weekend in late november.....we thoroughly enjoy the whole weekend

I did not mean to put that photo of Rev Cornelious  presiding over the sevice with the awesome backdrop of the blue stainglass windows....in a magnificent frame of immense scale .....was very apt to close my constant babbling about audio cables......I did not think anybody would identify the Rev!.......

I do think the best match for MOST OF ALBERT'S  Active Vsa speaker designs is the kronzilla DX monoblocks  and using the VSA signatures cables or you magical harmonic tech Interconnects and the very special 8 piece true biwire speaker cables.
This combo at home was really fantastic ......truly awesome .....music

Imagine The vr9se mark2 with four kronzilla DX monoblocks with an all vsa signature loom.....wow! it will take you to heaven everytime you switch the music on.
I think it was you or Albert who said that there is a private client in?? in SFO who has one such system.

I do remember mentioning that in our final analysis when we did the amp comparison. at home

Now to spoil it all....imagine if you connected that esoteric system.....with a fully runin 1000plus hours of an entire loom of vsa-mb ultra extreme cables!!!,.....would really love to hear that sound!!!!,

Cor , ....are you going try the ULTRA cables......once .....and only when fully runin......it's and absolute masterpiece......must say it again......NO WORDS WILL EXPLAIN What you hear.....unfortunately you have to hear it to feel the magic!

Cor thanks for the kind words...my wife and I ...thoroughly enjoyed the lovely long weekend meeting with you , your better half and all the others.ie Italians, Spanish and the English....was the most spontaneous , natural and most enjoyable......said to be a serious sound check weekend I have ever had.

Is Albert and you planning to bring the 100x to Europe ....for the Munich show in may this year

Cor I must thank you for all your very special program's and fine tunning you have done for me....that literally helps the system to sound at its best

regards
Sam

violetmachan

hello Robert

just read your  thread on the ....on the worst 3 months of waiting!........note the slippery slope you think your on......will take you to a place you never been before!......only speaking musically! Robert

I am sure cor and Albert will tell you about the magical synergy of the kronzillas and the active vsa speaker designs....especially your 100x .....and your all ultra loom? :P

Robert even if you did slide , on that slope.....enjoy the ride.....at the end of it ....it will the best ride you have ever had.....provided you make the right choice :nono:

I did do an update of the indepth first 600hour test......they do need that 1000 plus runin to feel the music!

enjoy

Sam

violetmachan

hello gammajo

I did see your pics of your simply beautiful system.....looks like a very nicely matched system.....love your all wooden room.....looks beautiful.

I did notice you have a few Ultra ICS.......must add the Ultra spaeker cables.....once runin.....will make a marked improvement in what your looking for.... against all the rule ....it's the speaker link that really takes it to an almost human form

included the latest inference after 600plus hours of runin....

THE INITIAL VSA-MB ULTRA LOOM OF XLR ICS & TRUE BIWIRE SPEAKER CABLES- IMPRESSION.UPDATE:roll:

The initial three observation ( mentioned in the begining of the thread) stay true to the pedigree of the cables

1. The very realistic scale of presentation......very impressive

2. The realism of the reproduced sound is so real.....almost life like

3. The micro dynamics, clarity and ultra high resolution is so intense....BUT AT  NO TIME DOES IT EVER DISTRACT , you from the music and does not take your mind/ hearing to anything special .....makes presentation again like a full range speaker , very coherent and almost life like!!

4. This presentation is soo soo instantaneous.....that your are very satisfied with what your are hearing, seeing and feeling.....ie feels like music/real live sound ....the minute you play your CD/livebroadcast/watch a movie.

I have always felt , its the first few seconds of playing music .....you'll know if it sounds right.....( you do not have to do hours and days of intense listening , to know you have something special)

The synergy between the system , the surroundings and you....translates into a very natural,very  pleasureable non tiring sound.....that feels like music to me!

Note the ultra loom seem to make this happen in my system in my living space
It Sounds like there are no connections in my system…..it does sound like its …..almost human ….life like!!.......must say it’s the best I have ever heard at home

SORRY!, There are really "NO FANCY WORDS " I can use to describe what I am thoroughly enjoying…..you and only you will need to listen to them…..to partake and enjoy this magic……simple and pure music

This again is very subjective…..you may not like what I hear!!

hope it helps ....its not meant to confuse you....well?

enjoy your music

Sam

kernelbob

Hi Sam,

Just a clarification, the VR100's are not active speakers.  There is no bass amplifier in the towers.  Albert and I discussed that possible configuration during the design phase.  I argued that a buyer of the 100's would probably prefer to choose their own amplifer to drive the bass instead of relying on a booster amp.

An advantage of this passive configuration is that an amp that excels in the midrange and tweeter range can be used on top wihout concern that it may not have the extremely deep bass with tight control that the 100's love.

The Kronzillas are indeed a great match for the 100's, but their bass, though very musical, does not control the woofers as well as a beefy solid state amp can.  More importantly, the XS subwoofers get their signal, though not their current, from the towers' woofer terminals.  Don't get me wrong, my Double Kronzillas (with a custom balanced driver stage) are phenomenal on the M/T section.  However, they don't have enough deepest low bass to provide much for the XS external subwoofers to do.

Regards,
Robert

violetmachan

hello Robert

I am sure your are right about the kronzillas.......they are magical for MT/ and the lower registers.....but in an ultimate system like yours with 100x  may show its limitations.....
But Robert , once your speakers and cables run in completely I am sure the whole audio register will be singing pure music .....hoping it's interaction in your very large room finally settles in

enjoy your music
Sam

violetmachan

Hello guys

Update of the ULTRA KOOKING PROGRAM.....delete this thread as soon as you read it! :duh:

Slowing down in the active cable cooking time on a daily basis....annoying with consistent din ....ie noise even during my sleeping time :evil:

Significant Observations! :scratch:

I did clean up my skeleton system ......to look a little bit like a living space

disconnected the connections ......following a clean up and the re connected

Low and Behold......The VSA ULTRA  loom is very....very position sensitive !!! and symmetry specific :o

This was done last Sunday ......and looked like the sonic signatures had taken a few steps back in performance

but today it's it seems to have come back to where we had reached .....about 700 hours at present

Albert had warned me about the positional attitude and the lie of these cables and it's implications.......something to do with its unique geometry !
I really did not think It would be significant ......
strange it's so clear and audible .....the change it imparts on the sonic signature.....the fabulous bit , once the connection stay in the same position ...

they do come back to their true glory.

I am thoroughly enjoying the ride.....a very long one....but seems to shatter all my conceptions about cables!! :scratch:

May be I am becoming an absolute airhead!! :icon_lol:......but hey....I do like what I am hearing

enjoying the ride!!! :thumb:

sams

violetmachan

Will update the 700 hours of cable burnin program...which at present is taking a long 3 week holiday break :green:

Will be strange if the cables take a couple of steps back in the run in program :nono:

does hi end , hi performance cables need a burnin disc as starters for about an hour before you start your evening session of music? :?

Have we gone to the dark side of the art of listening to music/hobby! :cry:
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2015, 06:08 am by violetmachan »

violetmachan

is cable cooker a must for hiend systems.....industrial cooking!

violetmachan

The Ultra Update

One long holiday in the sun plus good world cup cricket downunder :oops:.....and now back to the breakin program

Restart after 8 week break.....the magic of the cables still remains.....700 to 900 hours done......The song remains the same!!.....which is excellent.

Now to confuse the cables and the runin program......here comes the true blue magic....not viagra! :lol:!.....but the return of the tenor preamp /power amps in Haute Puissance upgrade mode :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :roll:

There is no shades of blue in the sound!! :o

The new gear in its final resting place is done and the last stage of the runin program in vsa,emmlabs,ultras and tenor mode started......will give you the final consigment in a few weeks time

meanwhile a gentle distraction .....all in the name of music

enjoy your music
sam

JackD201

They're back!

Way to go Sam!!!!!

gammajo

Violetmachan - Just reread this whole thread and saw your question of me - sorry so long to respond. Yes - I only need one set of ICs in my system, and it is a 2 foot balanced Ultra set with probably at least 1,000 hours on it and I love it. The rest of loom is all Masterbuilt Signature including PC's. I am currently about two weeks away from delivery of my new VR 55's (with about 500 hours of factory burn in) and very excited about that after hearing the 55's at Albert's shop. Two year plan is first two 15" Shockwaves (or XS subs if lucky) and then Ultra Speaker wire. Thanks for your detailed report of your Ultra journey - I was a bit dismayed (where did the bass go?) and then delighted as the Ultra changed more than other cables that I have tried, but all along the way they hinted at the magic to come. 

violetmachan

hello jack

yes the blue magic is back in all it's glory

The Tenor 350m haute puissance monoblock in its latest ultimate format with 550watts on tap with double damping configuration, new power boards, new 2700v transformers along with the latest preamp 3.01 upgrade ....!!!!
This Tenor Comdo seems to completely control and tame the vr9se mark 2 speakers , bringing out the best the speaker can perform ever so effortlessly
This setup does vastly surpass what I heard at Albert's and manny place @ west corvina!!!

Luckily , It's just right timing that the ultra loom especially the 1000 hour clocking of the ultra speaker cables  seem to be coming together ooh , ever soooo ....nicely

you just have to hear and listen ....words will not justify what your hear!

will do the final segment of my vsa , ultra and tenor observations in the coming weeks

Jack, how's your vr11 se mark 2 program doin....would love to listen to your customised super-duper setup....will inform , when I am in your side of the world

Has jim taken delivery of the vr 111 se !

Hi gammajo....I am sure once yor vr55 and ultra's speaker cables come together with time , you should be in heaven everytime you power your system on......you do need to give it time to runin and settle in your lovely listening room.

should make good reading ....with you pics, views and feedback.....when is the precious cargo to touchdown at home

enjoy your music
sam

gammajo

Violetmachan - Thanks for asking and the good wishes. My 55's are due in two days with setup over the weekend, after benefiting from several weeks of break in at factory. Your new equipment looks delicious, and I bet sounds wonderful. Will look forward to your continuing report.

Escott1377

Can someone please advise on what retailer is carrying the Delphi cables? I bought mine directly from Albert when they were first introduced.

Thank!