Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #260 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:30 am »
Vinnie, bmoura or others:

Does anyone know if Sony, in fact, fixed the inverted polarity issue? I don't see it specifically listed. I am running both the HAP and a phono stage I would love to have them both in phase at the same time!

(Not trying to crap on a RWA/VR thread, but I thought one of you might know.)

Thanks and hope all is well with the new projects Vinnie!

Gary

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #261 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:35 am »
Vinnie, bmoura or others:

Does anyone know if Sony, in fact, fixed the inverted polarity issue? I don't see it specifically listed. I am running both the HAP and a phono stage I would love to have them both in phase at the same time!

Hi Gary,

I never tested their latest SW update to see if they "re-inverted" the polarity of both channels.   There is a Sony UK site
that has the SW downloads and a description of the changes in each version, so it should say if that is what they did.

Thanks and hope all is well with the new projects Vinnie!

Thank you!  I'm cranking away and have a lot planning for this year!  Next show is AXPONA in Chicago.

Vinnie

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #262 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:51 am »
Thanks. I read the firmware and no directly specified fix.  :(

I'll see you in Chicago! We can visit a bit, yes?

(Appalachian Spring in DSD on the HAP right now! I haven't forgotten--bringing yours to AXPONA, I hope?)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #263 on: 17 Jan 2015, 04:09 am »
Thanks. I read the firmware and no directly specified fix.  :(

I'll see you in Chicago! We can visit a bit, yes?

(Appalachian Spring in DSD on the HAP right now! I haven't forgotten--bringing yours to AXPONA, I hope?)

Yes - looking forward to it!

I'll have the RWA-Z1ES-3 Sony there, along with a fully-loaded LIO.  After many listening sessions and comparisons, I believe I was able to get the LIO DSD/PCM dac in the LIO sound to match, and perhaps even surpass, that of the RWA-Z1ES-3 (of course with the LIO Tubestage in there as well  :wink:).  You can be the judge of that!  :singing:

See you there!

Vinnie

eso6686

« Reply #264 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:01 am »
Vinnie,

I can't decide between getting the 2.5 or 3 mod.
When the level 3 mod is run straight from the wall without batteries does it sound the same as the level 2.5 mod?

The issue for me is because I am in Australia , getting replacement battery pack might be a bit of a pain. At the same time I do like the fact that I can get a bit of SQ boost when need when running full battery mode.

Any chance you can share the minimum spec of the battery pack requirements so I can see if I can get something or get someone to built something similar?

Cheers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #265 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:20 am »
Hi eso6686,

Welcome to AC and the RWA forum!

Any chance you can share the minimum spec of the battery pack requirements so I can see if I can get something or get someone to built something similar?

You could go with external battery packs - but you need to be careful.  You need TWO 4-cell packs ... one LiFePO4 pack at 12.8V, and one pack at -12.8V.  I would go with at least 1,000mAh capacity.  You also want to make sure you have circuitry to balance each of the 4 cells in each battery pack, along with the other very important stuff like over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, over-current protection, etc.

The charging voltages (from the modded Z1ES) for the packs are +15V, and -15V.  Linear regulated with resistor current limiting.  All built in.

I actually have made an external battery supply for a customer before (2 of the Red Wine Audio 10,000mAh packs, the same we used in the Black Lightning supply, so the play time on battery was well over 24 hours!).  A 3-pin jack on the rear panel of the Sony connected the Sony to the external battery supply via a small cable.  No need to switch the battery pack ON or OFF, or to connect an external charger.  The modded Sony has that all built in and it was all automatic. 

Feel free to email me if you wanted a Level 3 mod with external battery power solution.  We can work it out, but please note that I wouldn't be able to get to doing this for at least a month.  But I am very confident that you will find the results well worth the wait.  8)

Vinnie

eso6686

« Reply #266 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:54 am »
Hi eso6686,

Welcome to AC and the RWA forum!

You could go with external battery packs - but you need to be careful.  You need TWO 4-cell packs ... one LiFePO4 pack at 12.8V, and one pack at -12.8V.  I would go with at least 1,000mAh capacity.  You also want to make sure you have circuitry to balance each of the 4 cells in each battery pack, along with the other very important stuff like over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, over-current protection, etc.

The charging voltages (from the modded Z1ES) for the packs are +15V, and -15V.  Linear regulated with resistor current limiting.  All built in.

I actually have made an external battery supply for a customer before (2 of the Red Wine Audio 10,000mAh packs, the same we used in the Black Lightning supply, so the play time on battery was well over 24 hours!).  A 3-pin jack on the rear panel of the Sony connected the Sony to the external battery supply via a small cable.  No need to switch the battery pack ON or OFF, or to connect an external charger.  The modded Sony has that all built in and it was all automatic. 

Feel free to email me if you wanted a Level 3 mod with external battery power solution.  We can work it out, but please note that I wouldn't be able to get to doing this for at least a month.  But I am very confident that you will find the results well worth the wait.  8)

Vinnie

Thanks you very much Vinnie for the prompt reply.

How would you compare sq wise between the Level 3 mod running straight from the wall without batteries vs the Level 2.5 Mod? The reason for me asking is because if the Level 3 mod running straight from the wall is basically equivalent to that of the 2.5 mod then I might as well go for level 3 mode and have it run from the wall for casual listening and switch over to run off the battery if I am in for a bit of delight or showing it off to a friend ..lol. 

Cheers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #267 on: 31 Jan 2015, 12:00 am »

Thanks you very much Vinnie for the prompt reply.

How would you compare sq wise between the Level 3 mod running straight from the wall without batteries vs the Level 2.5 Mod? The reason for me asking is because if the Level 3 mod running straight from the wall is basically equivalent to that of the 2.5 mod then I might as well go for level 3 mode and have it run from the wall for casual listening and switch over to run off the battery if I am in for a bit of delight or showing it off to a friend ..lol. 

Cheers

Hi eso,

I'd say Level 2.5 is VERY CLOSE to LEVEL 3 in running/charge mode (where the batteries are being charged and the Sony is playing at the same time).

Cheers!

Vinnie

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #268 on: 8 Mar 2015, 09:56 pm »
Don't know if this has been talked about yet, but can you add a USB output to this player to make it a transport? As well as modding the digital sections for better performance?

I think this would be sweeeeeet....

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #269 on: 12 Mar 2015, 10:31 pm »
Don't know if this has been talked about yet, but can you add a USB output to this player to make it a transport? As well as modding the digital sections for better performance?

I think this would be sweeeeeet....

Hi paul79,

I agree it would be sweet to convert the Z1ES to a dedicated transport, but to be able to do this so it outputs a USB out and can output both PCM and DSD would be quite difficult, and not something I have time to dedicate to.

All the best,

Vinnie

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #270 on: 12 Mar 2015, 11:04 pm »
Heard ya..... Thanks for the response and your time!

I also wish you the very best on your new Lio. It looks to be a fantastic all in one'er, and an extremely well thought out design. Look out Devialet!!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #271 on: 13 Mar 2015, 05:47 pm »
Heard ya..... Thanks for the response and your time!

I also wish you the very best on your new Lio. It looks to be a fantastic all in one'er, and an extremely well thought out design. Look out Devialet!!

Hi paul79,

Thanks for your kind words! 

Cheers,

Vinnie

gasron67

« Reply #272 on: 13 Jul 2015, 12:49 am »
Hi Vinnie.

I have a very important question.: do the HAP Z1ES mods pass along a DC voltage when connected directly to a power amp? I am keenly interested in the JOB MONO 250 that iI read is DC COUPLED, whatever that means. I do know that my FOCAL ELECTRA wouldn't be too happy to receive that DC?

This is my very first time to post to a thread so I apologize if there's anything I've done wrong,,, including my grammar!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #273 on: 13 Jul 2015, 01:38 am »
Hi Vinnie.

I have a very important question.: do the HAP Z1ES mods pass along a DC voltage when connected directly to a power amp? I am keenly interested in the JOB MONO 250 that iI read is DC COUPLED, whatever that means. I do know that my FOCAL ELECTRA wouldn't be too happy to receive that DC?

This is my very first time to post to a thread so I apologize if there's anything I've done wrong,,, including my grammar!

Hi gasron67,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

No, there should be no dc offset voltage on the outputs of the RWA-Z1ES mods.

All the best,

Vinnie

gasron67

« Reply #274 on: 13 Jul 2015, 03:13 am »
That's great! Now I just have to start saving for your level 3 mods. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Lockout

« Reply #275 on: 2 Nov 2015, 08:15 pm »
Hello,

I have recently ordered a HAPZ1ES and recognized a hum, probably arising from one of the power supplies or maybe the hard disk.
I've returned the first unit and got another one in exchange - still again with the same hum.
The spare device has a different MAC address, however still very close to the MAC address of the previous unit.

Now my questions:
Has anyone discovered a hum, too?
If so, has the root cause been analysed? Workaround/Resolution possible - even by Sony support?

Thanks,
Andreas

Steven Stone

« Reply #276 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:34 pm »
Andreas - the same hum on two different units would point toward something in the playback environment that is causing the hum.

finsup

« Reply #277 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:00 pm »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2015, 10:19 pm by finsup »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #278 on: 21 Nov 2015, 04:18 pm »
Hi, finsup.

I'm pretty certain there are quite a few alternatives out there now (and more soon to be announced). However, this is Vinnie's circle, so I wouldn't wish to step on his toes by making competing suggestions here. I do not know how other units compare to the Sony model BTW. It might be more appropriate to discuss this in the 'Diskless Circle'.

Just my thought... :)

Michael

finsup

« Reply #279 on: 21 Nov 2015, 10:21 pm »
You're right, Michael.  I wasn't sure. It is moot now anyway as I bought the HAP-Z1ES today.  Thanks.