BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #820 on: 16 Jan 2015, 12:05 am »
Hi Bart

Please contact Gary Dayton at Bryston and copy him on this.

gdayton@bryston.com

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #821 on: 16 Jan 2015, 01:55 am »
Hi Bart,

Well the db crash message appears because the artist view won't build, hence the message indicating something has crashed.  If you click the message it should take you to the log generated by this program and the last entry should be the file that caused the crash.  If you havn't set a scratch drive, then this is likley why it never finishes.

The message installing MPD upon startup is normal, regardless if it's disabled or not.

As to why the squeezelite doesn't turn back on after a reboot, you'll need to place the BDP into service mode and email us the service id along with a short description.  I can't say it's been thoroughly tested either, beyond turning it on and playing something for a day.

Cheers
Chris

bgilchrist

« Reply #822 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:56 pm »
Thanks Chris / James

I will communicate with Gary

As far as the scratch drive question -- I have created a scratch drive -- on a USB key inserted in one of the rear ports -- but it is only a 4GB key -- and with 180,000 songs -- I'm wondering if it is too small -- and I'd like to know if I have the option of setting the scratch drive up on the server -- but this doesn't seem to be an option when I attempt to set it up --- there is no ability to select anything other than an attached drive -

Bart

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #823 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:59 am »
The scratch drive contains a swap file, making hosting it on a server not possible.  A 4GB flash drive could very well be full.

Cheers
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #824 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:16 pm »

OK, It's time for reference digital source - Bryston BDP-2 & BDA 2 double review (for now only in Polish)

http://soundrebels.com/artykuly/recenzje/item/494-bryston-bdp-2-bda-2

Phil A

« Reply #825 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:26 pm »
I was able to right click the link and translate to English

Phil A

« Reply #826 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:28 pm »
Here is the last paragraph translated:

"Listening Brystonów turned out to be magical for me back to a time when there were quality and longevity. To a time when clear to everyone, that is, for producers and consumers was what it was all over the Hi-fi and High-End far and in which direction should follow the development, progress. Unfortunately, it's been a dozen years earlier ideals were speaking gently slight remodeling. Looking at which way the market is, at what price ceilings representing the device appear as an acceptable level of quality and how ridiculously expensive it becomes high-end it is hardly surprising that more than two weeks from the BDP-2 and BDA 2 made me great and genuine joy. Because how can you not enjoy that almost obscenely well-equipped player and converter Canadian producer at a surprisingly affordable price will play a truly high-end level, and instead of focusing attention on yourself will allow the listener to rediscover the pleasure of communing with the music given as has been recorded.
It is unfortunate that so few devices on the market similar to Brystonów, though ... on the other hand, just with this state of affairs should be glad Bryston. High-end source for approx. Twenty thousand PLN? Surreal? Well, just in case Bryston hear it and believe it.

Marcin Olszewski"

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #827 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:38 pm »
Hi Phil

I think there are 2 reviewers involved and each with a final comment

Phil A

« Reply #828 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:48 pm »
James - you're correct - did not scroll down all the way on the page.

Phil A

« Reply #829 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:50 pm »
Second one:

“BRYSTON-a device with the generally accepted standard widths are relatively thin slices (approx. 6 inches), recalling somewhat fixable with cancers of the pro market products, which as we know is his main area of interest. Fortunately, entering the world of household has eased somewhat simplistic visual and what reached the tests successfully is within the aesthetics of most brothers audiophile, including our second half. Flat proudly display boxes with thick aluminum fronts scratched, and their specific information and useful equipment determine the tasks to be performed. And so, in addition to the player a two-line display allows a centrally located slightly imperfect, but always without adequate support for your tablet or smartphone, on the left flank yet received two USB inputs, and the right set of control and - navigation buttons. DAC due to different frequency signal processing is provided in several diodes informant about timing, located slightly to the left of the center of the device and a row of buttons initiating various types of inputs on the right wing. Interestingly, this is not overwhelming multitude of manipulators, so that using the narrow planes should be regarded as a success. The rear wall just enjoying our eyes to the front panel are representatives of clusters needed to work all kinds of sockets: USB, AES / EBU COAXIAL, BNC, LAN, RCA, XLR etc. You can choose the color, fully satisfying the needs of even the most unleashed connections. Drowning everything so richly armed with the products would be tiring, on the other hand, knowing that Martin probably Streamline issued with one in his monologue, let me conclude visualization paragraph and move on to describe my exciting adventure with a representative of the latest trends in music.

I mentioned in the editorial life very facilitate self-organization process described Bryston today - which I used deliberately and since dim my knowledge and experience in the subject of use of the tablet, as well as compatibility with various audio components, I will not artificially externalized, leaving the brylującemu case in these topics to Martin. Therefore, out of respect for the readers only take care of the sound, and that the test set connected to the hard disk was uploaded a few best of my position labels, no major problems can be defined as presenting our tandem BDP and BDA anointed as version 2.

As sometimes happens, the first hurdle passed the test statement in Warsaw KAIM-e, which is always an additional and also an interesting experience, because quite often not confirmed in my audio mecca, clearly proving the existence of a large impact on the rest of the set of synergies calls. But looking at this aspect, on the other hand, when there is only one we built for the mutual matching set - apart from the rest of the components of columns is tuning them one constructor, I I have an slightly larger range of combinations, trying to make the best possible help to the tested device in passed an examination of the quality of the generated sound. And if someone thinks my biased approach for blurring the truth about the product, it remind you that our puzzles are just nothing but a collection of hardware coalition painstakingly matched, not throwing the shoe into the vortex of a foreign-going events with one aim - must deal with, otherwise it is worthless. Even the choice of the portfolio of one brand does not guarantee complete success - unless you like for me everything is one, let alone a combination of different schools to build electronics. Much for my carriage for your club performance. But back to our player, this time what I heard away and at home, have a lot in common. Namely, from the first bars of music can be heard that is very smooth plikowiec as colleagues at a meeting tagged devoid generated look-player raid. When confronted is stationed at my split CD-pretty, behavior was very similar tones, giving a consistent message of music. The only drawback, which is likely to be easy to eliminate, it was the sound dim light, giving a feeling of mild lack of breath and sparks in the upper registers. Interestingly, this effect was far less engaging than me in the club, but here and there it was not in any way a failure, just a different level of open upper midrange and treble, which is too bright to check the system, as with longing the expected cure. As I listened to the actions of Canadians, overtook me sound positioning nakarmionego conclusion of the test files set in the aesthetics of the lamp. Colorfully, evenly, smoothly, but with a bit of madness utemperowanym attack and mountains. Obviously cited aspects are not assigned to any type of products based on glass bubble, but visiting them threatening me like accretions betrayed. To illustrate the subject, let's take one of the ripped to the hard disc EST band called "Viatikum". Looking across the board by the whole spectrum of sound, compact and plikowiec went in a very similar transmission with the only difference being that the slightly higher resolution so important for human and openness diameter plates of my drive to increase the level of spontaneity music. But calm down beforehand that after listening kilkominutowym without switching, points out the differences quickly departed into oblivion, allowing me to delve into a few bars of music. BDA and BDP with two at the end, provide equal playing me so that I will not be too much melted on individual bands, because looking at it as a whole, all ranges so tuned that even the slightest generate feelings of detachment from each other. At the meeting, some listeners looking for weak points in this regard, but knowing their marudność and, more importantly, proven skills, designing, and sometimes they do it by force, to which, of course, as a kind of reviewers have every right. And I'm taking their insights on the wallpaper while listening at home, I have an interesting baggage information to verify what I use always carefully. Undisputed and positive aspect of products from Canada was built wide and deep stage. Nay, even the amount of information coming from it despite this lack luster did not differ from my expectations. All virtual sources without any problems gave a full range of data about, easily passing an exam of the resolution. Really, it was engaging play and when our heroes appear in a slightly different statement - read brighter, the scrolling through the description of a gentle touch of vitality to hold in check, it will disappear as if by magic. At the end of our meeting, I will add that the devices are sensitive to the wiring, which quite easily could be heard during sparring club. Due to the two-boxed set and its possible connection protection, I took from the home of your high street Harmonix'a (komputerówki the same evil). While listening wanting a little experiment, we changed them on the club Hand made, but the immediate slimming, and thus drying media, even involuntarily forced us to return to the first cable configuration - obviously do not have to explain the fact that a bad reaction to these devices renders wires of course, only a lack of synergy, not their quality deficiencies. Thus, considering the very pleasant, low set in color playing blocks provided for review and have in reserve the option of putting the kablologii process, I encourage you to listen to a file of that set, and you may find that inadvertently entered a new audiophile way.

Biased configuration problems until recently I had an ambivalent relationship to similar Brystonowi inventions. But as you can see in the example, the world is moving towards a better and suddenly it turns out that the designers have started to take care of the laity in the subject line of service. What's more, the sound itself evaluates to me in a good direction, which as we know, for everyone involved in the audiophile sound quality is a very important element. Freed from the musical message is technical raid shows us that the files are not as bad as they paint, and it is now firmly in favor of their advantage. Taking a test kit from Canada, I was afraid of everything - from firing the set, the pleasure of listening, so very pleasantly surprised encourage stakeholders to confront this format with their experiences and expectations, and it may be that it's just now looked out the long time change the format of the main source of our audio system.

Jacek Pazio

The test system is a complete set of business Combak Corporation
Electronics Reimyo:
- split Cd player: CDT - 777 + DAP - 999 EX
- tube preamp: CAT - 777 MK II
- solid state power amplifier: KAP - 777
- integrated amplifier Vitus Audio RI - 100
Columns: Gauder AKUSTIK CASSIANO
Power cables: Harmonix X-DC 350M2R Improved Version
Speaker cables: Harmonix HS 101-EXQ
IC RCA: Harmonix HS 101-GP
digital IC: Harmonix HS 102
Table: SOLID BASE VI
Accessories:
- Vibration: feet the power amplifier Harmonix TU 505EX MK II
- Supply: AC Enacom Harmonix Improved for 100-240V
- Acoustic: Harmonix Mini Disk Tuning Room RFA-80i
- PDU POWER BASE HIGH END
Track Analog:
- turntable:
drive: Dr. Feickert Analogue "Twin"
shoulder SME V
insert: Dynavector XX-2 MKII
phono preamp: RCM THERIAA”

Dreamseeker

« Reply #830 on: 24 Jan 2015, 03:27 pm »
If I download Jazz at the Pawnshop from hdtrack in 352/24 pcm, will I then be able to play it from my BDP-2 over USB with Manic Moose firmware? The dac supports it, but does the Bryston?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #831 on: 24 Jan 2015, 03:30 pm »
If I download Jazz at the Pawnshop from hdtrack in 352/24 pcm, will I then be able to play it from my BDP-2 over USB with Manic Moose firmware? The dac supports it, but does the Bryston?

It should, but we have never tested it

ebogda01

« Reply #832 on: 26 Jan 2015, 04:45 pm »
A question to Chris, I guess. Is there a way to empty the "trashes" folder on HDD installed in BDP-2 without removing it? By now I know how to delete the files without them appearing in Trashes, but couple of albums do show twice, because they got into that folder. Thanks!!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #833 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:59 am »
Delete the .Trashes folder over  the network, currently that's it.

Cheers
Chris

ebogda01

« Reply #834 on: 27 Jan 2015, 02:03 am »
Delete the .Trashes folder over  the network, currently that's it.

Cheers
Chris

My MacBook doesn't see it. naturally, as it was formatted on a MacBook

Dreamseeker

« Reply #835 on: 28 Jan 2015, 12:50 am »
It should, but we have never tested it
Well, now I've tried it and it does work.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #836 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:41 am »
I guess the only thing left is 384

lostsoul

« Reply #837 on: 29 Jan 2015, 06:36 am »
Well, now I've tried it and it does work.

You can always login to the BDP-2 using ssh and delete anything you want ;)

ebogda01

« Reply #838 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:48 pm »
You can always login to the BDP-2 using ssh and delete anything you want ;)

I'm afraid, I need an explanation of ssh :)

When I connect to bryston SSD via finder on my Mac, the Trashes folder cannot be seen (This is only natural for Mac-formatted drives). I do see the .Trashes folder when I browse the SSD using the MPD but don't have an option to delete it or clean it there.

lostsoul

« Reply #839 on: 29 Jan 2015, 08:36 pm »
I think when you log in using ssh it won't hide the .Trashes folder.
Type this in the Terminal:
ssh -Y <IP address of BDP-2> -l bryston
(you may be asked if you want to continue connecting, type 'yes')
(type the password)
After a few seconds the prompt appears. My external hard disk is mounted as /media, you can type 'mount' to figure out how the internal hard disk is mounted.
Now you can navigate to the mounted drive: e.g. cd /media/AUDIO,
list files: ls -l
then delete the .Trashes folder: rm -R .Trashes

HTH.