Argos Setup

stump4545

Argos Setup
« on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:25 pm »
I am sitting about 12 ft from my new Argos, and my Argos are about 18in away from front wall.

My Argos are currently about 7ft apart from each other, with my big TV in the middle, and a little toe in.

I will keep experimenting but as an idea, is 7ft apart from each other too much distance?

Carl V

Re: Argos Setup
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2016, 05:47 pm »
how far are your speakers to the side walls?
How far are your form the back Wall (the one behind you)?
What did the Argos replace?
Are you pleased thus far?

I just looked at your gallery picture. :thumb:
"this ain't your first Rodeo" is my impression. :icon_lol:

So no 7' isn't too much.  maybe not enough.
and 18" might be too little.
and that gorgeous Marble mantle might be too reflective.

are you pleased with the ARGOS...more-so than your past speakers?

cheech

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2016, 09:45 pm »
My room is 28x20x10. I have the Argos roughly 81/2 feet apart,  24 inches from wall behind them, and 9 feet from my sitting position , no toe-in

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2016, 02:17 am »
I am sitting about 12 ft from my new Argos, and my Argos are about 18in away from front wall.

My Argos are currently about 7ft apart from each other, with my big TV in the middle, and a little toe in.

I will keep experimenting but as an idea, is 7ft apart from each other too much distance?

The setup is tough because of the rack on the right side and the open area on the left but I think you have a good start.
I would keep that distance (7ft) and back off on the toe in, see if that causes an issue with the rack? if not gradually increase the distance between them until the image shifts or becomes diffuse. Basically you want to keep your first reflection point away from the rack, bringing them out to 24" from the wall may help?
Bottom line is to start as it sounds like you have with a solid center and very incrementally move them out and adjust toe in to maintain the center while getting maximum stage.

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2016, 02:32 pm »
Thank you.

btw what is the toggle switch behind Argos used for, should be up or down?

Also, are the Argos speakers channel specific?  Does one speaker have to be Left Channel?

thanks again.

roboss38

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:28 pm »
The switch is a tweeter switch for adding or subtracting 0.5db. There is a definite left and right configuration to the Argos speakers because of the sculpted baffle, which you will notice if you look at the speakers front side. The sculpted baffle of each speakers provides all the toe in you might need.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:32 pm »
My room is 14.5 x 23 x 8.5…
Measuring center to center, I have the Argos 9’ 4” apart…
Measuring from front baffle, they are 48” from the front wall (wall behind them) OR 34” from that wall if measuring from the back of the speaker…
Measuring from the outside sides of the speakers, I have them only 24 or 25” from the side wall.
With a few degrees of toe-in, along with the built-in angled from the baffle.

I found there to be direct correlation between side wall OR front wall placement for full and even bass response. In other words, the more room you have to their sides, the closer you may want them to the front wall. Or vice versa, the more room you have them from the front wall, the less room you may want from the side walls.

I also found that, in MY room, anything closer together than a lil over 8’ is too close. I have had best results anywhere from 8’6” to the current 9’ 4” apart, with of course the other two dimensions factored in for best freq response and soundstage.

It took some time but once I followed Lou’s suggestions and pulled the speaks out and inch at a time for bass response and side to side till the perfect L to R communication, everything popped… I feel I have them at their best for this room. Sounds fantastic.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:33 pm »
Thank you.

btw what is the toggle switch behind Argos used for, should be up or down?

Also, are the Argos speakers channel specific?  Does one speaker have to be Left Channel?

thanks again.

that is the tweeter switch, down is 0db, center is - 0.5db and up is + 0.5 db
yes there is a left and right, the long side of the speaker should be to the wall (outside)
I really need to write that owners manual, I had one in the early '90's but that is a bit out of date and we've been a bit busy. :wink:

sorry that took awhile.

easystreet

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2016, 08:10 pm »
that is the tweeter switch, down is 0db, center is - 0.5db and up is + 0.5 db
yes there is a left and right, the long side of the speaker should be to the wall (outside)
I really need to write that owners manual, I had one in the early '90's but that is a bit out of date and we've been a bit busy. :wink:

sorry that took awhile.

Hi Lou--

Jon Meier here in Seattle. With regard to the tweeter switch settings, do the settings you describe above apply to every speaker in your line? Or, more specifically, I'm wondering if these settings apply to the tweeter switch on my five-year-old Athenas?

Jon