Good Morning- VR-6 buy or original Salons

JVLII

Good Morning- VR-6 buy or original Salons
« on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:35 pm »
Good Morning everyone-

I'm interested in a pair of VR-6's and just not a lot of info online about the VR-6.  I'm also looking at Revel Salons Gen 1...approx the same price.  I'm auditioning the Salons today, but the VR-6's are not avail for auditioning unless the deal has been solidified.  So I'm looking for opinions on just what the VR-6's were back in the day, and how they stack up today.  Any help is appreciated...Thank you!

JackD201

Re: Good Morning- VR-6 buy or original Salons
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2016, 07:02 am »
I believe both Jhsu and Kernal Bob have 6s. Jhsu's is for sale since he recently got VR-55s.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm »
These are awesome speakers, but the question should be, can you get parts for them?

jhsu

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2016, 05:35 am »
The Revel Salon Gen2s have been around for nearly ten years; the Gen1s are likely to have been around for 15+ years.  Do you really want to own such old speakers? 

Assuming that they are bi-wired, try disconnecting speaker cables from the mid-high binding posts being very careful not to short the exposed wires by inadvertently crossing them and listen carefully to minimalist-microphoned jazz vocal music, both female and male.  My guess is that due to the fairly high crossover frequency between the bass and mid/high module, plenty of low range vocals will be "leaking" undesirably into the bass drivers, causing the dreaded "three foot high" male voice phenomena (and the "two foot high" female voice phenomena) when the mid/high modules are connected back (into a full-range system) - not to mention the sluggish and resonant titanium mid-range (and tweeter?) drivers.  The same inability to localize realistically-sized vocals will also manifest itself in the Salon Gen2s.  Personally, I like instruments and vocals to image in a life-like size, not distorted to be larger-than life.  Case closed !